Notices
The Boating Forum

What annoys you about boat buyers?

Old 11-22-2020, 05:59 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,527
Received 222 Likes on 119 Posts
Default What annoys you about boat buyers?

Along the same lines as another thread here...

I had my big boat listed with a broker for a little more than a year and a half. I had just bought a house in the Bahamas and figured I would be using my big boat less. Then Dorian hit and as we all know, now Covid. I had the broker keep it on the market but wasn't really pushing to sell it since times are so crazy. A few months ago, the wife and I decided it was just not worth the hassle to try to sell the boat only to buy something different.

This whole process gets me thinking about things that personally annoy me about boat buyers. I'll start:
  • Lack of overall knowledge of the systems of a boat. That's not a "corroded exhaust" that is patina on the intake water strainer.
  • Making an appointment to view the boat only to not show up or even call.
  • Immediately offering $40,000 less than asking - sight unseen.
  • Talking mechanical (thanks to google) but having no clue. CAT 3116's did have soft heads at one time. A CAT 3116 with 3000 hours does not.
  • Showing up to view the boat and expecting to take it out. This isn't a sunset cruise nor is it a 19' Aquasport. Give me a 10% deposit and we can go from there.
  • Complaining about the "ICW mustache." This boat is used and doesn't sit at the dock. How you see it is how it is used. I'm not going to fluff and buff for every looky-loo.
  • View the boat and compare it to a completely different make and style boat. An Aft Cabin boat is not a Marlin slaying battle wagon. Don't confuse the two.
  • Ask what type of seas it can handle. It's a boat. It will take more than you are willing to go out in normally. Wave sizes may vary.

Popular Reply

11-22-2020, 08:39 AM
gotboostedvr6
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mt Laurel NJ
Posts: 1,097
Received 234 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Deposit required for sea trial is a hard no for me. Im always a cash in hand buyer and expect a ready to run boat when it's advertised as such.

Your boat didn't sell because you weren't a prepared seller.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:04 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 513
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts
Default

2 boats ago, I dealt with all those things and then some when selling. 1 boat ago, I just traded it in at the dealer. But, yeah, selling is a pain. Too many people giving ridiculous lowball offers, not having any clue what they are trying to buy, or just wanting to go for a free boat ride.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:04 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, NC (near Beaufort)
Posts: 847
Likes: 0
Received 86 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

When guys put a deposit down on your boat , they go home and their wife finds out and the next day or weeks they call you and ask to tear up the check.

In the interim I told several buyers I had a deposit. They never called back.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:10 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: NE FL
Posts: 610
Received 415 Likes on 213 Posts
Default

Lowballers. Even worse, sight unseen lowball offers. You know they'll show up (if they even do) and try and use their stupid offer as a starting point for negotiating even lower. I've become quite sassy with these types just for fun.
Likes:
Old 11-22-2020, 07:36 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Buyers that compare your boat to another boat in worse shape, and say your price should be the same as the other boat because they are the same model.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:43 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 124
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

waste ur time
Old 11-22-2020, 07:48 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 97
Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

not having one in a bad market. get ready.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:22 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,527
Received 222 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chris Elkins View Post
When guys put a deposit down on your boat , they go home and their wife finds out and the next day or weeks they call you and ask to tear up the check.

In the interim I told several buyers I had a deposit. They never called back.
That's what a deposit is for. They lose the deposit!
Old 11-22-2020, 08:39 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mt Laurel NJ
Posts: 1,097
Received 234 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Deposit required for sea trial is a hard no for me. Im always a cash in hand buyer and expect a ready to run boat when it's advertised as such.

Your boat didn't sell because you weren't a prepared seller.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:04 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,108
Received 422 Likes on 254 Posts
Default

Research your buyer before meeting them. It might sound ridiculous, but do a background check on them before even showing the boat. Itís not 100% fool proof but if you can get an idea of their financial picture then itíll eliminate 90% of these problems.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:12 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,527
Received 222 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
Deposit required for sea trial is a hard no for me. Im always a cash in hand buyer and expect a ready to run boat when it's advertised as such.

Your boat didn't sell because you weren't a prepared seller.
Have you every purchased a boat that was $150K+? We are not talking about a $35,000 boat. I would expect that for a $35K boat.

If I did a sea trial with every person who came to look I would be out a lot of time and a lot of money. Boat is always ready to go.

If somebody showed with cash in hand to buy my boat then I would possibly willing to do a sea trial with then provided you bring the cash with you. Otherwise, put the deposit in escrow and we will ride...
Old 11-22-2020, 09:14 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,527
Received 222 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Misterfu02 View Post
Research your buyer before meeting them. It might sound ridiculous, but do a background check on them before even showing the boat. Itís not 100% fool proof but if you can get an idea of their financial picture then itíll eliminate 90% of these problems.

That is supposedly what my Broker was for. Hell, he was getting 10% of the sale price, he should at least bring qualified buyers.
Likes:
Old 11-22-2020, 09:28 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,590
Received 633 Likes on 383 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Misterfu02 View Post
Research your buyer before meeting them. It might sound ridiculous, but do a background check on them before even showing the boat. Itís not 100% fool proof but if you can get an idea of their financial picture then itíll eliminate 90% of these problems.
A simple online search can tell you all about them especially on the Facebook

Old 11-22-2020, 09:47 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ray City, GA
Posts: 1,197
Received 259 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

I hate the buyers who make you an offer, you reject it, tell you to call them when you're ready to sell at that price..... then a few months later they call back asking if you're ready to make a deal.... when you tell them it sold (for more than they offered) they get butt hurt and ask why you didn't call them to let them know you were going to accept that offer, they would have paid more. sigh... that's not how this works bro...

I will say this to the OP... if your boat didn't sell in this market, either something is wrong with it, something is wrong with your broker, or your priced WAAAAYYY too high. The cat 3116's do have a bad rap, maybe that's why, not sure how you get past that.

First impression means a lot to most buyers. The boat should be immaculate. YOU may not care about a beard, but it may be an instant turn off to a buyer. Everything should be immaculately cleaned and polished. ESPECIALLY if you are asking a premium price.
Likes:
Old 11-22-2020, 10:07 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,527
Received 222 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
....
I will say this to the OP... if your boat didn't sell in this market, either something is wrong with it, something is wrong with your broker, or your priced WAAAAYYY too high. The cat 3116's do have a bad rap, maybe that's why, not sure how you get past that.

First impression means a lot to most buyers. The boat should be immaculate. YOU may not care about a beard, but it may be an instant turn off to a buyer. Everything should be immaculately cleaned and polished. ESPECIALLY if you are asking a premium price.
I'm thinking this was a Broker issue mostly which is also one of the reasons why we pulled it off the market several months ago. Seems like a lot of first time boat buyers wanted to step up and buy a big boat. I had a full survey done in January and was even showing potential buyers that there were no discrepancies.

I agree that first impressions mean a lot but a 22 year old boat that is used every weekend is not going to show like a 2016 or 2018 boat. No premium on the price but not really negotiable either "I know what I've got" and it's been maintained with a closed check book. LOL.



Old 11-22-2020, 11:07 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1,101
Received 650 Likes on 344 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Have you every purchased a boat that was $150K+? We are not talking about a $35,000 boat. I would expect that for a $35K boat.

If I did a sea trial with every person who came to look I would be out a lot of time and a lot of money. Boat is always ready to go.

If somebody showed with cash in hand to buy my boat then I would possibly willing to do a sea trial with then provided you bring the cash with you. Otherwise, put the deposit in escrow and we will ride...
This may be why it took 18 months to sell. You donít sound like a very accommodating or motivated seller.

You should be able to tell a serious buyer from a tire kicker.

THT tells people all the time not to buy a boat without a sea trial. Asking for $$ deposit just to trial? Kinda crazy.

A much easier/cheaper accommodation would be to ask them to pay for fuel if you take it out.

I would consider that more reasonable than some deposit that Iíd have to trust the seller to actually give back if the deal doesnít go through.

Especially since the deposit is based on what price? Deposit gets put down after the trial, after price negotiations and with a pending survey.
Likes:
daveola210, EB7, flbassjag, mabie99, puff tentacle, radarralph, Strommen95 and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:42 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 58
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Pretty much the same with anything big or small. Lots of tire kickers Eventually some will work out but you usually have to go through a bunch of people first...

If you really want to be annoyed, try giving away something for free on craigslist
Old 11-22-2020, 12:13 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 422
Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Yes buyers can be asshats, a lot of youíre gripes are legit. But, If you listed a boat in this market and it didnít sell for over a year, itís not because of the buyers out there. Iím not attacking you personally, but maybe the price was too high, maybe you had a lazy broker or some other reason.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:31 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 85
Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6 View Post
Deposit required for sea trial is a hard no for me. Im always a cash in hand buyer and expect a ready to run boat when it's advertised as such.

Your boat didn't sell because you weren't a prepared seller.
Depends on the type of the boat. I always buy cash but if I was buying a sportfisher from a prviate owner and it costs 20 bucks to start the engines, at the very least I would throw them some bills. But I think you can tell how serious a buyer is without a deposit. I would only use that line myself if I felt I wasnít dealing with a serious buyer.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:49 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 16,775
Received 2,647 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
Along the same lines as another thread here...

I had my big boat listed with a broker for a little more than a year and a half. I had just bought a house in the Bahamas and figured I would be using my big boat less. Then Dorian hit and as we all know, now Covid. I had the broker keep it on the market but wasn't really pushing to sell it since times are so crazy. A few months ago, the wife and I decided it was just not worth the hassle to try to sell the boat only to buy something different.

This whole process gets me thinking about things that personally annoy me about boat buyers. I'll start:
  • Lack of overall knowledge of the systems of a boat. That's not a "corroded exhaust" that is patina on the intake water strainer.
  • Making an appointment to view the boat only to not show up or even call.
  • Immediately offering $40,000 less than asking - sight unseen.
  • Talking mechanical (thanks to google) but having no clue. CAT 3116's did have soft heads at one time. A CAT 3116 with 3000 hours does not.
  • Showing up to view the boat and expecting to take it out. This isn't a sunset cruise nor is it a 19' Aquasport. Give me a 10% deposit and we can go from there.
  • Complaining about the "ICW mustache." This boat is used and doesn't sit at the dock. How you see it is how it is used. I'm not going to fluff and buff for every looky-loo.
  • View the boat and compare it to a completely different make and style boat. An Aft Cabin boat is not a Marlin slaying battle wagon. Don't confuse the two.
  • Ask what type of seas it can handle. It's a boat. It will take more than you are willing to go out in normally. Wave sizes may vary.
i have sold lots of boats, all myself, no broker

i clean the boat, take some pics, put up a robust listing

i pre-screen, have only gotten pissed a couple times i let my pre-screening guard down, and had my time wasted

1) someone came with their girl and a bottle of prosecco to look at the boat, asked if they could come for a sunset demo ride, i laughed and said they could leave
2) i was already showing the boat and added on someone else to come the same time, i didnt pre-screen because i was already going to be there. the ad clearly said needs new bottom paint. the guy thought the boat was de-valued significantly because the bottom was damaged because of the faded paint. he said it demanded $50k off the price. a pro could do the bottom for $500. i laughed and walked away. but i did end up getting some touch up paint just so it looked better and re-took the picture.

lots of ways to setup your ad and intake process. i typically do not talk with anyone on the phone. email and text only. i do some due diligence on the buyers. make it clear no ride until sea trial with price negotiated and in contract. i ask for proof of funds or loan pre-approval proof. all offers and negotiations are written offers and deposit is required with signed contract. there are clear timelines for survey, sea trial, acceptance of boat, and how deposit could be forfeited. pre-covid, no reason a boat, even if financed, couldnt be surveyed, sea trialed, and funded within a week or two, and deal closed. you can easily tell who is serious and who is not.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.