Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

How does one lower a Gopro into the water?

Notices
The Boating Forum

How does one lower a Gopro into the water?

Old 10-13-2020, 08:02 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How does one lower a Gopro into the water?

Always see the videos, but how do they do it? Anyway to watch the video real time? Can you aim it?
Old 10-13-2020, 08:36 AM
  #2  
RCL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,461
Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts
Default

Monopods or some kind of long pole, boat hook........
Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 480
Received 95 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

I put mine on a extendable pole with a tripod mount....I can lower it about 6 feet below the boat.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 725
Received 94 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

SCUBA gear works well.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:05 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by high'n'dry View Post
SCUBA gear works well.

Been there done that.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:06 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Looking to go 100' give or take. People lower them on a fishing pole I believe.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:18 AM
  #7  
BTL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 339
Received 441 Likes on 155 Posts
Default

I tried it on fishing line in a stream once. Got some cool images of brook trout but it was not stable at all.


Likes:
Old 10-13-2020, 09:20 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,119
Received 737 Likes on 437 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chevjerico View Post
Always see the videos, but how do they do it? Anyway to watch the video real time? Can you aim it?

You can watch the video on your phone in real time but I'm sure not if you lower it 100', usually they use sturdy poles depending on if you are moving but for 100' I don't know that would need something special.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:25 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
You can watch the video on your phone in real time but I'm sure not if you lower it 100', usually they use sturdy poles depending on if you are moving but for 100' I don't know that would need something special.
Sturdy pole makes sense. They are doing it some how. Many videos on YouTube. 50' would work, but I think I've seen deeper.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,119
Received 737 Likes on 437 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chevjerico View Post
Sturdy pole makes sense. They are doing it some how. Many videos on YouTube. 50' would work, but I think I've seen deeper.

I think 50' is most likely some kind of line or a diver. You could do 50' on a pole if you are not moving but it would seem to be a pretty serious endeavor to hold a pole that long in place
Old 10-13-2020, 09:47 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lutz, Fl formerly Gulfport/Jackson, Ms
Posts: 3,657
Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Epic Marine Products was making a nice little mount that you could stuff with weights and attach the top to a line. I used to drop mine on one of my trolling outfits.



Last edited by gordo35; 10-13-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:53 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gordo35 View Post
Epic Marine Products was making a nice little mount that you could stuff with weights and attach the top to a line. I used to drop mine on one of my trolling outfits.

Cool, I'll Google that and check it out.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:55 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Todd, NC
Posts: 1,176
Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts
Default

you'd need a wire to live stream anything - wifi aint there yet

you'd spend ~10 minutes trying to fumble around transferring files back from gopro to phone/tablet while out on the water

you could get a troll pro housing that should help keep the camera pointed 1 direction in the current. You will definitely need a housing for anything deeper than 30' - perhaps a waterproof housing and glue a plexiglass fin on the rear of the housing to help the current keep the camera pointed 1 direction. The more you make it look like a fish you make it the more I'd be afraid something down there will grab it
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Denver, CO / Hobe Sound, FL
Posts: 1,032
Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Mount it to your gaff.
Likes:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:21 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 409
Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Rod, 60 lb. test, snap swivel to selfie stick base loop. Hang a sinker on the gopro.

It's not perfect but I've gotten some pretty cool shots. Good to see the bottom you're fishing. I've had it down to around 70 feet.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:24 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by porcha View Post
you'd need a wire to live stream anything - wifi aint there yet

you'd spend ~10 minutes trying to fumble around transferring files back from gopro to phone/tablet while out on the water

you could get a troll pro housing that should help keep the camera pointed 1 direction in the current. You will definitely need a housing for anything deeper than 30' - perhaps a waterproof housing and glue a plexiglass fin on the rear of the housing to help the current keep the camera pointed 1 direction. The more you make it look like a fish you make it the more I'd be afraid something down there will grab it
Interesting, yea live stream would make a hug difference I imagine.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:26 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BahrTender View Post
Rod, 60 lb. test, snap swivel to selfie stick base loop. Hang a sinker on the gopro.

It's not perfect but I've gotten some pretty cool shots. Good to see the bottom you're fishing. I've had it down to around 70 feet.
So ya think most people just improvise their own rig? Can you run a wire to a laptop on desk and view video?
Old 10-13-2020, 10:44 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 117
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Short rod, 80lb braid to a swivel, thumb screw on waterproof case through the other end of the swivel, and hang from that a 4 oz weight using rubber bands. This is my first drop--in 115' of water. Worked well enough for me and is very easy to deploy and retrieve.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbb...jCPKwFqNYsbNRw

Old 10-13-2020, 12:04 PM
  #19  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cape Cod Bay
Posts: 1,154
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

My GoPro tethers to an iPad wirelessly to see live video and review recorded video.
But when I put the GoPro on the end of a pole to look underwater, the wireless connection was lost as soon as it touched the water.
Radio waves do not travel through water very well.
You'd have to record while underwater and they watch it after the camera was back on the surface.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:17 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Weeki Wachee, FL
Posts: 114
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Prassa View Post
Short rod, 80lb braid to a swivel, thumb screw on waterproof case through the other end of the swivel, and hang from that a 4 oz weight using rubber bands. This is my first drop--in 115' of water. Worked well enough for me and is very easy to deploy and retrieve.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbb...jCPKwFqNYsbNRw

That's awesome I'll keep that in mind!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.