Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

How to determine anchor locker rode capacity?

Notices
The Boating Forum

How to determine anchor locker rode capacity?

Old 09-28-2020, 04:39 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How to determine anchor locker rode capacity?

I dont know how much rode I can cram into my locker. Currently, I have none.

how does one figure out how much fits?

Id hate to buy 600 feet to figure out only 250 fits.

Does one start with 250 and add to it with a splice?
Old 09-28-2020, 04:50 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 367
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

How about calling the mfg of your boat ?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:02 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MightyMach View Post
I dont know how much rode I can cram into my locker. Currently, I have none.

how does one figure out how much fits?

Id hate to buy 600 feet to figure out only 250 fits.

Does one start with 250 and add to it with a splice?
What boat. Ask others with same boat how much they carry
Old 09-28-2020, 05:06 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,634
Received 1,343 Likes on 761 Posts
Default

Depends on the diameter of the rope of course, but the locker on my Seaswirl 2101 isnt exactly huge and it takes 25 of chain plus 450 of rope with a bit of room to spare. I keep another 150 in one of the catch tanks.

I think itd be a small locker that only takes 250.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:20 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 347
Likes: 0
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Also depends on the rode. You will get a better lay with braid.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Boat is a 29 Phoenix, so manufacturer is gone and Frank Piedra doesnt reply to emails or phone calls any longer...I hope hes in good health.

the boat cane factory with a Good Rope only windlass and as you know theyre 3 stand only.

when I got the boat, the windlass was dead, so I pulled it out along with the twisted ball of rebar (3 strand rode).

Ive since installed a F850 Good chain/rope windlass. Obviously, Good wants to use their 1/2 3 stand but I wont use 3 strand again. Good recommends upsizing A size or two to work with their windlass.... so 9/16 or 5/8.

I need to buy 15 of each size to make sure it feeds AND holds.

Im on the west coast, so Ill use 60 of 5/16 BBB chain as well.

Any further help is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:52 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,511
Received 1,396 Likes on 864 Posts
Default

Take a box of styrofoam peanuts. Pour all the peanuts in the anchor locker, and level it out. Mark the level.

Take a length of the chain you want to use. Pour it into a box and mark the level.

Measure your boxes to the marks and compare volumes.

Doesnt need to be a box either, but volume of a recatagular solid is easy to calculate, but so is the volume of a cylinder, like a bucket.

Its not rocket science.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM
  #8  
REZ
Senior Member
 
REZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LBI & PA.
Posts: 1,848
Received 124 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

Use more chain and you need less rope and it takes up less space. I used a 20ft piece of three strand i would tie off one end to the chain and other end had a loop that I would toss on my cleat, it was a good shock cord for bumpy days.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:16 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 421
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom W Clark View Post
Take a box of styrofoam peanuts. Pour all the peanuts in the anchor locker, and level it out. Mark the level.

Take a length of the chain you want to use. Pour it into a box and mark the level.

Measure your boxes to the marks and compare volumes.

Doesnt need to be a box either, but volume of a recatagular solid is easy to calculate, but so is the volume of a cylinder, like a bucket.

Its not rocket science.

My anchor locker extends into my bilge and in areas that will never see the light of day. What am I saying? Styrofoam peanuts would be in the bilge forever and *potentially* cause a hazard at a bilge pump.

While I agree, it's not rocket science, the peanuts may not work in this case.

I'll check to see If there is any where I can block off the styrofoam from making it's way to the bilge.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:28 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 862
Received 337 Likes on 169 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MightyMach View Post
My anchor locker extends into my bilge and in areas that will never see the light of day. What am I saying? Styrofoam peanuts would be in the bilge forever and *potentially* cause a hazard at a bilge pump.

While I agree, it's not rocket science, the peanuts may not work in this case.

I'll check to see If there is any where I can block off the styrofoam from making it's way to the bilge.

Why not just measure the anchor locker and calculate the volume. Yeah its going to be a weird shape but it doesn't have to be exact, just a ballpark figure.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,140
Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom W Clark View Post
Take a box of styrofoam peanuts. Pour all the peanuts in the anchor locker, and level it out. Mark the level.

Take a length of the chain you want to use. Pour it into a box and mark the level.

Measure your boxes to the marks and compare volumes.

Doesnt need to be a box either, but volume of a recatagular solid is easy to calculate, but so is the volume of a cylinder, like a bucket.

Its not rocket science.
Great idea, even if it doesn't work for the OP.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:06 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,672
Received 888 Likes on 470 Posts
Default

Id start with how much do you need. If you are anchoring in shallow water then Id get enough for that. If you are anchoring in deep water then Id get what you need for that. If it doesnt fit then pull off 200 ft put a loop in the end of it and use a carabiner to connect the two ends, store the 200 ft shot separately.
Likes:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.