Notices
The Boating Forum

Cobia Dealers

Old 09-26-2020, 09:26 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobia Dealers

Hi, I am new to this site and happy to be here. I am thinking of purchasing a new Cobia. I would like to test drive before pulling the trigger, but none around. I wanted to shop around to get the best price but the dealer close to me said I cant go to Cobia dealers out of my area, they supposedly have an agreement just to do business with potential buyers in their area and forward the rest to their designated dealers. Im cool with that, and want to support my local guy. However it seems my friend got some better #'s at his guy than I did for the same boat. Any one else experience this.? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:32 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 85
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Where are you located? I would recommend you stay with the local dealer. If you were to buy the boat out of the area, good luck with service on the boat. When something goes wrong will not getting it fixed for months be worth the money you saved being a penny pincher. It one of the most foolish things people can do is go hunting around the country for a boat.
Likes:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:36 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 213
Received 225 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ghosts84 View Post
Where are you located? I would recommend you stay with the local dealer. If you were to buy the boat out of the area, good luck with service on the boat. When something goes wrong will not getting it fixed for months be worth the money you saved being a penny pincher. It one of the most foolish things people can do is go hunting around the country for a boat.
i shopped around, and havenít had service issues. Boat was 15% less at another dealer, and I was ordering from factory.
Likes:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 85
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Razorback713 View Post
i shopped around, and havenít had service issues. Boat was 15% less at another dealer, and I was ordering from factory.
you bought a brand new boat and had service issues with your brand new boat. And the dealer who you didnít buy from then worked on the boat?
Likes:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:41 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 213
Received 225 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ghosts84 View Post
you bought a brand new boat and had service issues with your brand new boat. And the dealer who you didnít buy from then worked on the boat?
no just routine stuff, and the dealer I bought it from wasnít close. Granted I also moved.
Likes:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:50 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 85
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Razorback713 View Post
no just routine stuff, and the dealer I bought it from wasnít close.
yes thatís the point. Bringing a brand new boat from another dealer into the dealer nearby who you didnít buy it from usually isnít going to go well. Consider yourself lucky, but most yards would laugh at you and say well take it back to where you got it, have a nice day!
Likes:
Old 09-26-2020, 09:53 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 213
Received 225 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ghosts84 View Post
yes thatís the point. Bringing a brand new boat from another dealer into the dealer nearby who you didnít buy it from usually isnít going to go well. Consider yourself lucky, but most yards would laugh at you and say well take it back to where you got it, have a nice day!
just sharing my experience. If they did that, I would then call the company and tell them how shitty their dealer is to their customer. It goes both ways.

with that being said, if I was buying anything over 400k I completely agree with you. The money saved isnít worth not having a go to shop with a good relationship.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 04:47 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 329
Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ghosts84 View Post
yes thatís the point. Bringing a brand new boat from another dealer into the dealer nearby who you didnít buy it from usually isnít going to go well. Consider yourself lucky, but most yards would laugh at you and say well take it back to where you got it, have a nice day!
I dealer who reacts that way is not a dealer I would want to do business with. You seem to be in support of that behavior, are you a dealer?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:53 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 256
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by deerfly View Post
I dealer who reacts that way is not a dealer I would want to do business with. You seem to be in support of that behavior, are you a dealer?
I somehow doubt cobia would appreciate this happening, dealer doing this is just an a-hole, I am sure this is also going against cobia's dealership agreement when you take their brand into your dealership to sell.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 06:57 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1,053
Received 630 Likes on 330 Posts
Default

Just negotiate. If dealer A can sell the boat at price X then so can dealer B.

As far as service work goes, itís the same thing with cars.

Not an issue with any ďnormalĒ warranty work situation. Itís when something goes wrong that would require the dealer to go above and beyond.

I found this out when I had my power steering go out on my car..... 3 weeks out of warranty. I still had to pay out of pocket to fix, but got a large discount of ďgood faithĒ from GM. The amount of the discount was based on where I bought it and where I serviced it.

Luckily for me the part was recalled a year later and I got a refund. But, if I bought and serviced my car at dealer X and went to dealer Y with the issue, the ďgood faithĒ discount would be zero.


Thereís a thread on here a couple weeks ago where a guy bought a boat from a dealer a few hours away. It had a rigging issue and he kept having to haul it for hours to get it fixed.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:14 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
TheBigWhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southport Raw Bar
Posts: 4,303
Received 4,122 Likes on 1,922 Posts
Default

I had a warranty issue with my 296 and it was years out of coverage. Cobia not only fixed it they did a lot of other work like spray new non skid around the engine well, buffed out the hardtop, etc “just because” it needed it. Cobia is a fantastic company, takes customer satisfaction seriously and will push their dealers to do the right thing. And its a solid boat.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 213
Received 225 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 69Mach390 View Post
Just negotiate. If dealer A can sell the boat at price X then so can dealer B.

As far as service work goes, itís the same thing with cars.

Not an issue with any ďnormalĒ warranty work situation. Itís when something goes wrong that would require the dealer to go above and beyond.

I found this out when I had my power steering go out on my car..... 3 weeks out of warranty. I still had to pay out of pocket to fix, but got a large discount of ďgood faithĒ from GM. The amount of the discount was based on where I bought it and where I serviced it.

Luckily for me the part was recalled a year later and I got a refund. But, if I bought and serviced my car at dealer X and went to dealer Y with the issue, the ďgood faithĒ discount would be zero.


Thereís a thread on here a couple weeks ago where a guy bought a boat from a dealer a few hours away. It had a rigging issue and he kept having to haul it for hours to get it fixed.
so here is what I found out. The dealers canít all sell the boats at the same price and turn a profit. Or they have different profit margins they have to meet. That is what I was doing, playing each other off of them. The Florida dealer was great, but told me that if the Tennessee dealer was really offering me that boat at that price I would be stupid not to take it because he would never sell me a boat that cheap. Was interesting for sure.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:45 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ghosts84 View Post
Where are you located? I would recommend you stay with the local dealer. If you were to buy the boat out of the area, good luck with service on the boat. When something goes wrong will not getting it fixed for months be worth the money you saved being a penny pincher. It one of the most foolish things people can do is go hunting around the country for a boat.
I am located on Long Island. The dealer is 5 minutes from me. Great people. They didnt have the boat I wanted to see so I found out another Cobia dealer 20 minutes away had the boat for me to look at. There are 4 Cobia dealers near me, one 5 minutes, one 20 minutes, one 30 minutes and one about an hour. Wasnt trying to play them just was looking at different boats. All great people. Your right thought, if its a matter of 1,000, I can live with that.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:56 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 213
Received 225 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FM1072 View Post
I am located on Long Island. The dealer is 5 minutes from me. Great people. They didnt have the boat I wanted to see so I found out another Cobia dealer 20 minutes away had the boat for me to look at. There are 4 Cobia dealers near me, one 5 minutes, one 20 minutes, one 30 minutes and one about an hour. Wasnt trying to play them just was looking at different boats. All great people. Your right thought, if its a matter of 1,000, I can live with that.
dude, a guy 30 minutes away is still your local dealer.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:02 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,426
Received 525 Likes on 254 Posts
Default

So what if ypu buy your boat, then have to move? So tje dealer in your new service area isnít going to service your boat? Or what if you split time between a couple homes? There are many snow birfs in our area of S FL, many
who transport their boats between there 2 houses, they are not able to get service? The argument of buy closest does not hold wayer. Now tjere are protected sales territory, but not warranty, that gets billed to the factory, granted at a rate lower than shop labor rate and some things are at set price, but tjey are still obligated under dealer agreement to do warranty service. If a dealer declines, a call to manufacturer is in oreder, and as noted, Cobia/MBG take care of the end user.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:06 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 213
Received 225 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by deerfly View Post
I dealer who reacts that way is not a dealer I would want to do business with. You seem to be in support of that behavior, are you a dealer?
it does sound that way, and one who is angry about people buying the same boat for less at his fellow dealers.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 12:45 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 101
Likes: 0
Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FM1072 View Post
Hi, I am new to this site and happy to be here. I am thinking of purchasing a new Cobia. I would like to test drive before pulling the trigger, but none around. I wanted to shop around to get the best price but the dealer close to me said I cant go to Cobia dealers out of my area, they supposedly have an agreement just to do business with potential buyers in their area and forward the rest to their designated dealers. Im cool with that, and want to support my local guy. However it seems my friend got some better #'s at his guy than I did for the same boat. Any one else experience this.? Thanks.
I just ordered a 220. Got quotes from all the dealers within easy 3-4 hour driving distance. After that I called the local guy back & told him the best quote I got. He thanked me for giving him the opportunity to keep my business local and then by the time we were done, he beat the lowest price I had gotten by about $1000.
I didnít have any issue getting dealers to give me quotes by phone/email.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 02:11 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: UsA
Posts: 1,642
Received 401 Likes on 265 Posts
Default

I buy local. If I need to haul a boat 2 hours away to get factory service done because the local guy I didn’t buy from puts me 2 months out for service, it’s not worth it. If another cobia dealer is 30 minutes away, 10 minutes away and 4 minutes away something else is going on.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 03:10 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Southeastern Georgia
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by deerfly View Post
I dealer who reacts that way is not a dealer I would want to do business with. You seem to be in support of that behavior, are you a dealer?
I agree with you. I hear these same comments made about bicycle dealers and other hobbies I am involved in. I call hog wash. A dealer is going to service the boat or motor regardless of where you bought it. Itís called good business. If they donít, they wonít last long. With boat sales now dealers can command high prices. It wonít always be that way. Treat people right and they come back. You donít owe the dealer anything. Itís his decision to sell it for your price or not. Any dealer who snubs you for service because they didnít sell you the boat is a fool. I hate the dealer I bought my Audi from. I get it serviced st a different one. Never had an issue.
Likes:
Old 09-27-2020, 03:26 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Daphne, AL
Posts: 45
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Most dealers likely make more from service than they do from boat sales, it’s the same with ANY industry where the outlet that sells a product also does service. Walk into any Boat, RV, auto, power sports dealer and the service department will be full with a wait to get your vehicle in, not likely the sales department is quite that busy. Usually the manufacturer (Cobia, Grady, Ford, Yamaha, whoever) has a franchise agreement to sell and service their products. The dealer pays “x” for the boat and sells it for what he can. Factory backed service is almost all profit minus costs, Grady or Ford doesn’t take a cut. A dealer that refuses to service a boat (or puts undue restrictions on it) simply because they didn’t sell it is either an idiot that doesn’t like money or a toddler. I wouldn’t do business with either one.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.