Notices
The Boating Forum

Break in - now or in the Spring?

Old 09-12-2020, 02:41 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,655
Received 1,349 Likes on 766 Posts
Default Break in - now or in the Spring?

Got a Merc 225V6 arriving in about 10 days time. By the time the install is complete and the engine is commissioned I will only have a couple of weeks available back on my mooring until the insurance co says to get out for winter (no Ďwhatís Winter?í comments please - and the insurance wont change their mind - I have asked a few times) depending on weather conditions I might not be able to get through the full break-in period before winter lay-up.
So the question is: does it matter if I go into lay up (till 1st April) if Iím not all the way through it, or would it be better just to leave it at the install and not start it up or commission it till Spring.
(Insurance is ok with trailer launching in Winter, but a. Itís a major operation involving a winch and min of three people to get it on and off my drive and b. I donít have my own tow vehicle)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:45 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 159
Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I would try and get as many hours on ASAP for one reason, if there is in an issue you will have all winter to get it looked at. Just my thought.
Likes:
alligatorgar, Boat Hound, Clinker, Ebuck1, Goose77, Stickbo and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-2020, 02:46 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 182
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
I would try and get as many hours on ASAP for one reason, if there is in an issue you will have all winter to get it looked at. Just my thought.
I agree
Likes:
Old 09-12-2020, 03:11 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,117
Received 9,161 Likes on 4,933 Posts
Default

I would be inclined to hold off if your current motor is running good. just to avoid it getting stuck in the shop for the remainder of the season
Old 09-12-2020, 03:18 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,655
Received 1,349 Likes on 766 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I would be inclined to hold off if your current motor is running good. just to avoid it getting stuck in the shop for the remainder of the season
Thatís not an option unfortunately as itís a part-ex on the new engine so will be on its way to the dealer next week (dealer is about 4 hours away).
Old 09-12-2020, 04:05 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,117
Received 9,161 Likes on 4,933 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clinker View Post
Thatís not an option unfortunately as itís a part-ex on the new engine so will be on its way to the dealer next week (dealer is about 4 hours away).
in that case run it. Not like it really shifts the warranty. Run out at the end of a season rather than the beginning of another. Realistically having warranty during winter layup is inconsequential. Run it 10-20 hours for break in, and start with fresh fluids for spring.
Likes:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:19 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Shelter Island
Posts: 68
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

I had a similar situation but in my case i ran it through the break-in stages by running it as long as was necessary to get through the initial stage. I'm not sure what your outboard break-in looks like but after the initial stages mine just said not to run a WOT for extended periods of time. I think that fall i only put 18 hrs on it.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:01 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fla / Curacao / WA
Posts: 5,110
Received 454 Likes on 262 Posts
Default

Go boating! Run it, how could you let it sit???
get out there!
Old 09-12-2020, 05:07 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,655
Received 1,349 Likes on 766 Posts
Default

Thanks all for the thoughts - my conundrum really is though: if circumstances should mean that I can only get say 6 hours on it before winter layup, would it have any detrimental effect?
As regards the warranty, if I postpone the commissioning till the Spring, it also delays the start of the warranty - but thatís not really a great issue.
The reason Iíve bought the engine now is that itís the last one in the country and itís at a good price (for here I donít know how it compares to the US price) - the next batch to arrive will be subject to a price increase and I couldnít get any commitment to when it would be so there would have been a double whammy to holding back on the purchase (Iím in the UK).

Last edited by Clinker; 09-12-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:27 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Shelter Island
Posts: 68
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

What is your break in proceedure? Even if the break in isnt completed, it wont hurt the engine and you will be that much ahead of the game in the spring
Likes:
Old 09-12-2020, 05:40 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 367
Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Did you call Merc for advice ?
Old 09-13-2020, 06:38 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location:
Posts: 421
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

The first two hours of run time are below 4500 rpms with not more than 1 minute at WOT. Vary your speed so you are not running at the same rpm for periods of time.

The next 8 hrs you can run normally but not more than 5 mins at WOT. At 10 hrs you are good to go.

The first maintenance (engine oil, filter, lower unit lube) is scheduled at 100 hrs.

You won't hurt anything if you can't get 10 hrs on it before the end of the season.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:48 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sandy Hook Area, NJ
Posts: 488
Received 189 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

Nothing will go wrong with your engine if it's not completely broken in before you have to winterize. It's a piece of iron and aluminum. If you can't get it done, fog the motor, change the fluids and pick up where you left off in the spring.

Last edited by Fine Catch; 09-13-2020 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-13-2020, 07:17 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Venice Island, FL
Posts: 719
Received 172 Likes on 103 Posts
Default

I am with the others that have responded get it in and get break in hours on it and done before winter. if there is an issue you can find it and get it in the shop versus it sits all winter and you fire it up to only find there is an issue.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:58 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I was going to agree with others that you should run it before the winter, so if any problems pop up you can have it looked at over the winter. But when you mentioned that if you wait till spring for commissioning that would delay the start of the warranty, that might be enough incentive to wait till spring. Tough choice.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.