Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Question Contender 21 with Yamaha 150

Notices
The Boating Forum

Question Contender 21 with Yamaha 150

Old 09-06-2020, 09:19 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 33
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question Contender 21 with Yamaha 150

Hi everyone, Iím looking at a 2009 Contender 21 with a Yamaha F150 with about 475 hours on it. Had it surveyed yesterday and did a test drive, and it drove great and the engine sounded fine. Iím having the engine checked out this week before potentially picking it up next weekend.

The surveyor was checking the hull and the transom came back as potentially being wet, but he said it felt solid and didnít think it was an accurate reading. The owner seems to have been pretty meticulous with the care and uptake of the boat, so hoping itís not wet.

I assume a water logged boat would show as heavy and it would effect the speed, so having tested out the speeds at different RPMs I wanted to see if they are indicative of a water logged boat. Any insight would be appreciated

WOT at 5500/5600 was about 40 mph while 4700/4800 was around 34/35 mph. Does that seem about right for a 150?

Anyone know if the Contenders have wood in the transom? Iíve read both that they do and that they are all fiberglass, so a bit confused. Obviously it could be a problem if it does have wood and itís wet

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2020, 10:06 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

40 mph sounds at WOT sounds pretty sporty to me. In comparison my 2011 205 Grady with the F150, the best I ever got was 37 WOT.
Likes:
Old 09-06-2020, 10:08 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 33
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CG31 View Post
40 mph sounds at WOT sounds pretty sporty to me. In comparison my 2011 205 Grady with the F150, the best I ever got was 37 WOT.
Thanks, the boat felt great driving it and I suspect everything is fine, but you never know
Old 09-06-2020, 10:58 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 139
Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ajroberto View Post
Thanks, the boat felt great driving it and I suspect everything is fine, but you never know
Yeah you definitely need to rule out the wet transom for sure. Now your hull design will be a little faster than my GW but the F150 is adequate but wish it had a 250.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:51 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 4,852
Received 991 Likes on 487 Posts
Default

That’s the speed on em with a 150. That’s pretty good .
Likes:
Old 09-06-2020, 12:53 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 33
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CG31 View Post
Yeah you definitely need to rule out the wet transom for sure. Now your hull design will be a little faster than my GW but the F150 is adequate but wish it had a 250.
I imagine Iíll wish it had a 200 or 225, but this should serve my purposes well for a long time

Originally Posted by wangotango321 View Post
Thatís the speed on em with a 150. Thatís pretty good .
Great to hear, that was my biggest concern
Likes:
Old 09-06-2020, 01:36 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NOLA Brah
Posts: 2,872
Received 560 Likes on 347 Posts
Default

That hull is rated for 300hp max. With that power it would probably be a 60 +/- mph boat. So it seems pretty reasonable that with a single 150 (half the rated max) somewhere in the 40's would be about right. Prop size would have a big effect also.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Baldwin county alabama
Posts: 87
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Pretty sure the transom is composit on that boat. I also think 40 with a 150 is great. Iíd go for it. My stepbrother had a 2011 21 with a 200 hpdi. If I remember right I think it would do high 40ís loaded. It seemed to ride better the faster you went.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:22 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location:
Posts: 1,745
Likes: 0
Received 293 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

I've never heard a surveyor say " an inaccurate reading". Either the transom is saturated or not. I owned a 21' contender for many years and it is a great boat. Good luck.
Likes:
Old 10-06-2020, 07:47 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 184
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Iíd be nervous about the transom but If the price is right go for it. Most 21ís are usually fine with a 150, but the contender draws a lot of water with its deep dead rise. You Amy struggle to get on plane at times.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:54 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 553
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

I’d say the boat is performing well with a F150.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:35 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 968
Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Speeds sound about right however I think the boat would have to be nearly waterlogged to notice a significant difference in performance.
Iíd be looking at how the boat actually sits in the water, if it were holding significant water she would squat. Water if inside, will migrate to the lowest point and towards the stern. (Gravity).
Iíd be looking closely at the engine mounting holes, stress cracks or anything that is affixed on the transom, if nothing is weeping itís probably fine. The boat does have a wood transom, Contender didnít switch to Composite transom until 2012..Surveyor mentions water, or moisture where specifically would be my question.. Was the boat kept on a trailer when not in use? Good luck, Contenders are Awesome solid boats.
_________
SpinFish1
YouTube
Contender

Last edited by homey; 10-07-2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:33 PM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 33
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tdk72 View Post
I've never heard a surveyor say " an inaccurate reading". Either the transom is saturated or not. I owned a 21' contender for many years and it is a great boat. Good luck.
Originally Posted by dcouture29 View Post
Iíd be nervous about the transom but If the price is right go for it. Most 21ís are usually fine with a 150, but the contender draws a lot of water with its deep dead rise. You Amy struggle to get on plane at times.
Originally Posted by Tiger51 View Post
Iíd say the boat is performing well with a F150.
Originally Posted by homey View Post
Speeds sound about right however I think the boat would have to be nearly waterlogged to notice a significant difference in performance.
Iíd be looking at how the boat actually sits in the water, if it were holding significant water she would squat. Water if inside, will migrate to the lowest point and towards the stern. (Gravity).
Iíd be looking closely at the engine mounting holes, stress cracks or anything that is affixed on the transom, if nothing is weeping itís probably fine. The boat does have a wood transom, Contender didnít switch to Composite transom until 2012..Surveyor mentions water, or moisture where specifically would be my question.. Was the boat kept on a trailer when not in use? Good luck, Contenders are Awesome solid boats.
_________
SpinFish1
YouTube
Contender
Originally Posted by Joe wamble View Post
Pretty sure the transom is composit on that boat. I also think 40 with a 150 is great. Iíd go for it. My stepbrother had a 2011 21 with a 200 hpdi. If I remember right I think it would do high 40ís loaded. It seemed to ride better the faster you went.
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I got comfortable with everything given the fact that it's a composite transom and the surveyor was pretty adamant it was a great boat, so I purchased it in September. Had the opportunity to take it out a few times so far and everything has been good. Boat was trailer kept and the owner was pretty obsessed with keeping it in good shape, so hopefully it ends up being fine

Was initially worried about the way the boat sat in the water after a day on the dock, but realized that I had let the rear livewell fill up. Once I closed the valves and pumped the water out, it's sitting perfectly now.

My only worry is the gas tank, but if that happens I'll just have to deal with it and get a new one
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 184
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

My 95 tank is still going. I get nervous too but I’ll deal with it when the time comes.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:44 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CMCH NJ
Posts: 2,634
Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Buddy just bought a 23 with a 200 hdpi and I was impressed at the speed with that setup.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.