Notices
The Boating Forum

Pair Marine/Sea Ox Owners Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 06:50 PM
  #301  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 1,217
Received 305 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wardyecu View Post
Saw on another thread a Pair sank at the dock at sloop point NC beginning of December. Anyone know what happened?
On here? Surprised I didn’t see it.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:56 PM
  #302  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Brunswick Co. NC
Posts: 45
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SaltyShepherd View Post
On here? Surprised I didn’t see it.

wont let me post url

search “tow boat righting boat sloop point” it’s in the Carolinas regional forum.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 PM
  #303  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 1,217
Received 305 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wardyecu View Post
wont let me post url

search “tow boat righting boat sloop point” it’s in the Carolinas regional forum.
Tow Boat righting boat at Sloop Point -LIVE

I’d love to hear what happened.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:12 AM
  #304  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 410
Received 363 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

Found it. Doesn’t seem that anyone knows what happened yet. Tow Boat righting boat at Sloop Point -LIVE
Old 12-23-2020, 08:36 AM
  #305  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 139
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Redbeard. View Post
For those of you that use Facebook, I’ve created a Pair Marine owners group! Feel free to jump aboard and connect with owners across the country!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2046...400/?ref=share
Thanks for setting this up.
I will join.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 PM
  #306  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

From the angle at the dock and with the 3-4 ft tide in that area, it may have been tied tight at high tide and flooded with the tide coming back in.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:33 PM
  #307  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mandeville LA / Orange Beach AL
Posts: 4,621
Received 467 Likes on 291 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Battle Kat View Post
From the angle at the dock and with the 3-4 ft tide in that area, it may have been tied tight at high tide and flooded with the tide coming back in.
If it got tilted enough to let water in through the scupper then a slow drain to the port fish box then to the bilge and the battery went dead or the bilge pump failed. She would sink.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:38 PM
  #308  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 1,217
Received 305 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

Or if the livewell drain hose popped off.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:04 PM
  #309  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Battle Kat View Post
From the angle at the dock and with the 3-4 ft tide in that area, it may have been tied tight at high tide and flooded with the tide coming back in.
looks like a floating dock...
Old 12-24-2020, 07:01 AM
  #310  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

You ae right, I didn't look close enough. The big tall poles mean floating dock........
Old 12-24-2020, 07:02 AM
  #311  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 545
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Willis1 View Post
looks like a floating dock...

It is a floating dock. Plus its a at a fairly busy dry stack marina.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:08 AM
  #312  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 545
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Willis1 View Post
looks like a floating dock...

It is a floating dock. Plus its a at a fairly busy dry stack marina.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:02 PM
  #313  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 528
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flyrod04 View Post
Late to the party but here is my 2020 21ft. It is hull number 52. the boat is Named " Bird Dog"

I run the 175 and with a full tank of fuel, 2 people, ice, and gear I cruise 32MPH at 4400 RPM. I get about 3.5MPG which is about 8GPH. I can slow down a bit, but the hull really likes that speed. I top out around 42MPH. Do I wish my top end was faster? Yes. Do I need it? No. Maine has some very unforgiving waters so top speed really doesn't matter.


Very Nice Rig
Likes:
Old 12-28-2020, 06:13 PM
  #314  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Brunswick Co. NC
Posts: 45
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Blown away by pair customer service. It’s refreshing this day and age to work with someone that clearly cares about your business and what they are doing.
Likes:
Old 12-28-2020, 11:46 PM
  #315  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 410
Received 363 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

I am right on the line of ordering yet another Jones brothers cape fisherman 20 or 23. I sooooo want a 21 pair from a lamination schedule, layout and fit and finish standpoint but it’s more important to me that a boat run right. I have fought myself over this for a year or more now. I just can’t get past the fact that the pair isn’t dialed in when it comes to the 21 and they seem to be ok with that fact and don’t want to fix it. They are selling boats which is what matters most to most builders. Everything cosmetically and built quality is right but the ride just kills it for me. The JB is just so responsive to every little adjustment. It’s a real pleasure to run. If you haven’t run many other boats I think most would likely be happy with the pair because they don’t know any better. I wish I didn’t know better. Anyone who is ordering I would advise to go mercury. That will likely at least fix most of the torque steer issue.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:22 AM
  #316  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location:
Posts: 520
Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Geez, just get the Jones Brother. I've had my share of boats over my lifetime. The Pair 21 I had was the best of the lot, bar none. Maybe you had an anomaly in the hull. Mine had the Suzuki DF 200 and had no more or less torque steer than any other. This included another boat with the Suzuki DF 175 on another 21' running a 16" prop.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:27 AM
  #317  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 325
Received 209 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fowlhook View Post
If you haven’t run many other boats I think most would likely be happy with the pair because they don’t know any better.
You’re making a pretty big assumption about an awful lot of Pair owners.

Sounds like the Jones Bros is the perfect boat for you. You should buy one and start your own Owner’s thread to talk about them. Take care.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:32 AM
  #318  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delaware
Posts: 410
Received 363 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TIMarine View Post
You’re making a pretty big assumption about an awful lot of Pair owners.

Sounds like the Jones Bros is the perfect boat for you. You should buy one and start your own Owner’s thread to talk about them. Take care.
I owned a sea ox / pair 21 last year... I figured actually owning one made me an owner but I guess I have to keep my mouth shut and not say anything negative at all in order to play with y’all? .. and here I thought this was the hull TRUTH. I said a bunch of positive things on that post as well. I said I would buy another one in a second if they got the bugs out of the mechanical setup in a previous post too. You’d think that some people would appreciate honest commenting and not just attaboy .. I did get PMs thanking me for an honest review so I guess some did.

Maybe I’m just a dick but I’m sticking to my assumption. I’ve owned about 50 boats in this style so I have more than a couple to compare it with.. I also know that I’m not the only one that sold their pair for the same reason I did and I’ve spoken to dealers also trying to solve this one problem on their own. If Bryan didn’t know there is an issue there why have there been so many different configurations to mounting the power? Why in that most recent video was the transom notched on the 21? A 500lb engine hanging 2.5ft behind the transom without extending the running surface, 250lbs of water in that live well. Think about it. That Hull was not designed to have a bracket in the first place either.. The solution is either a notched transom or making a mold for a bracket that will extend the running surface and add the buoyancy needed to support the weight 700lb plus of weight hanging 2.5ft off the back of the transom. Making an in house bracket makes the most sense and he will save all that money he is giving to stainless marine now. With 60 or so boats sold last year I would guess that would have saved a lot of $$ and actually solved the problem.

Feedback both positive and negative are important for builders to hear. If nothing is said then nothing will be improved. Bothering to get that last 5% right is the difference between a good boat builder and a great boat builder. There isn’t shame in trying to fix something or make something better. We spent month after month making changes to the 41 Onslow bay before we got everything just right.

I’ll leave y’all to your back patting .. sorry that honest comments from an actual owner offended you.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:47 AM
  #319  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 1,217
Received 305 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

I think all feedback is important, positive or negative, but when you start saying things like this:

Originally Posted by fowlhook View Post
If you haven’t run many other boats I think most would likely be happy with the pair because they don’t know any better. I wish I didn’t know better.
It can rub people the wrong way. I know I've personally spoken to multiple captains who charter their 21's, who have owned many boats and didn't complain about this. I'm not saying you're wrong and they're right, but there's a way to provide negative feedback and saying, "unless you've owned this many boats you won't know any better", isn't the best approach.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:13 AM
  #320  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 528
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

-------

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.