Notices
The Boating Forum

Flip Flops

Old 07-31-2020, 01:09 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: mandeville, la
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flip Flops

I'm hoping not to get crushed on this one. I'm looking for suggestions on flip flops. I checked the thread history and didn't see anything recent.
I use to wear Olukai but I found the quality fell off the last couple of years. Last year I went to Grundens which were awesome on a wet deck, but not the most comfortable for a wide foot.
Anything new? And no, I'm not considering croc's.
Likes:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:13 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,513
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default

Been there....I am presently wearing Tevas...I'm too cheap to buy Olukai, reef or Rainbows...I'm sure they are better but my Tevas are great. They were $15 on amazon...now up to $25
Old 07-31-2020, 01:14 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 36
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

I understand you're not considering crocs, trust me, I wasn't either until I lost a pair, and went shopping. Can't believe I'm saying this, but my croc flip flops are the most comfortable flip flops I own. I've worn Teva, Reef, and Keen, and I still prefer to put on my crocs when I'm heading out.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:15 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Washington, NC
Posts: 28
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I like these but they are more of a dress sandal but I wear my old pairs inshore fishing and around the house all the time.
Ocean Rider USA | Offshore Apparel | Miami, FL
Old 07-31-2020, 01:16 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 36
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JBennett07 View Post
I like these but they are more of a dress sandal but I wear my old pairs inshore fishing and around the house all the time.
Ocean Rider USA | Offshore Apparel | Miami, FL

Those look nice!
Likes:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:17 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 365
Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts
Default

I've worn rainbows for years, but they suck when wet and they become dangerous when the soles wear out (<1 year).

I just got a pair of Xtra Tuf south side sandals last night and am excited. They are comfortable out of the box, they fit similar to Ola Kai, but the soles are amazing and thick like the boots. I love my Xtra Tuf boots, my only complaint is I can't wear them on hot summer days because they get way too hot. Looking forward to using these sandals on the boat and running errands around town on the weekend. $56 with free shipping from XtraTuf. Nobody in Florida stocks them so I had to purchase site unseen. I wear a 10 and the sandal fits great. I had to go to 11 for the boot as 10's were too narrow with socks on.

I got black but brown looks nice too.

https://www.xtratuf.com/products/men...SABEgKur_D_BwE
Old 07-31-2020, 01:18 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 126
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Tried Reef flip flops but they were uncomfortable. I got some columbias at academy a few weeks ago and love them.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-ro...p-1852611.html
Old 07-31-2020, 01:22 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I've worn rainbows for years, but they suck when wet and they become dangerous when the soles wear out (<1 year).

I just got a pair of Xtra Tuf south side sandals last night and am excited. They are comfortable out of the box, they fit similar to Ola Kai, but the soles are amazing and thick like the boots. I love my Xtra Tuf boots, my only complaint is I can't wear them on hot summer days because they get way too hot. Looking forward to using these sandals on the boat and running errands around town on the weekend. $56 with free shipping from XtraTuf. Nobody in Florida stocks them so I had to purchase site unseen. I wear a 10 and the sandal fits great. I had to go to 11 for the boot as 10's were too narrow with socks on.

I got black but brown looks nice too.

https://www.xtratuf.com/products/men...SABEgKur_D_BwE
You picking up gravel on those soles?
Old 07-31-2020, 01:25 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North NJ
Posts: 530
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

I was reluctant to pick a pair of flops that I didn’t think I looked dumb in. These are 100% my favorite. I have extra pairs brand new in the box in case they sell out.

https://www.offbroadwayshoes.com/p/s...-sandal/431056
Likes:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:26 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,280
Received 3,780 Likes on 1,683 Posts
Default

I just bought some Keens and like them.
Reefs lasted quite a while but then the soles got slick as owl poop.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:26 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 4,037
Received 1,163 Likes on 526 Posts
Default

I live in flip flops. Tried them all. I live in Croc flip flops... I buy 6 pair at a time.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:29 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,843
Received 599 Likes on 329 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BeachN Boat Wrench View Post
I understand you're not considering crocs, trust me, I wasn't either until I lost a pair, and went shopping. Can't believe I'm saying this, but my croc flip flops are the most comfortable flip flops I own. I've worn Teva, Reef, and Keen, and I still prefer to put on my crocs when I'm heading out.
Me too, love my Crocs. They're the 1st pair I slip on. https://www.crocs.com/p/mens-bogota-...&start=3&sz=36
Old 07-31-2020, 01:33 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 872
Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

x2 on Tevas
Old 07-31-2020, 01:37 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 113
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

With all the stupid crap put on THT, this is a very worthy thread. I wear flip flops way more than I should and have been through plenty. I really like the croc flip flops and reef. I agree the reef get super slick with alot of wear. Looking for a new pair right now actuall .
Old 07-31-2020, 01:42 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,349
Received 1,721 Likes on 930 Posts
Default

I used to wear Pyrameds for the last 30 years. Somewhere, somehow someone decided to change them. They are no longer flexible and form fitting after break in. It's like having two boards attached to your feet, they don't break in.. I usually order them 3 pair at a time, all three pair from the last order, are sitting almost unused, in my closet. I miss the old ones. I reluctantly switched to Rainbows
Old 07-31-2020, 01:43 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fl
Posts: 18,433
Received 4,419 Likes on 1,937 Posts
Default

No love for Olokais...??

I live in the damn things...
Likes:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:49 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 1,102
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
No love for Olokais...??

I live in the damn things...
Did you read the original post?
Likes:
Old 07-31-2020, 01:49 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 1,102
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Rainbows are bulletproof, but total crap on wet surfaces.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:00 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Palmetto Fl.
Posts: 389
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Have you tried the grundens with the seadek? I have a wide foot and they fit great.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 5,546
Received 1,591 Likes on 686 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldSouth View Post
Tried Reef flip flops but they were uncomfortable. I got some columbias at academy a few weeks ago and love them.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-ro...p-1852611.html
Just bought a pair of these off Amazon and will be here Sunday. They seemed like one of the few pairs I could find in my size (14) that had decent arch support and didn't have black soles. We'll see. I have really high arches and flat flip flops don't work for me.

Last edited by Mako 234; 07-31-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.