Notices
The Boating Forum

Fountain prop help

Old 07-24-2020, 01:20 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fountain prop help

I have a 1996 Fountain 31 open. Has twin 96 Merc 250 xs with Bravo 22p @5800rpm it hits 61. From what Ive read this boat should be faster.
Anyone with the same setup or can offer suggestions on props?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:31 PM
  #2  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 12,118
Received 3,590 Likes on 2,218 Posts
Default

Are the motors all the way up?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:52 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HTJ View Post
Are the motors all the way up?
one hole from the top.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:54 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Manasquan River Club
Posts: 655
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Propbender or propgods would be able to hep you. What is the max rpm rating on those motors? Do you have alot of slippage throughout your rpm range
Old 07-24-2020, 02:42 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nautiboyz View Post
Propbender or propgods would be able to hep you. What is the max rpm rating on those motors? Do you have alot of slippage throughout your rpm range
They hook up with no slip. I believe max rpm is 6200 It has the Vrod HD 1.75 lowers

Last edited by CcScorpion311; 07-24-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:41 PM
  #6  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 6,778
Received 550 Likes on 330 Posts
Default

One hole from the top as in one more to go up or only one more to go down? Props are definitely light, youre rev limiting at 5800 with those motors. Bravo 25 FS would be my choice for every day with that setup. Mount them in the middle hole at least, if not higher depending on how heavy you run.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:32 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
One hole from the top as in one more to go up or only one more to go down? Props are definitely light, youre rev limiting at 5800 with those motors. Bravo 25 FS would be my choice for every day with that setup. Mount them in the middle hole at least, if not higher depending on how heavy you run.
One hole to go up only. I always run a light load so I want the fastest setup.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:04 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 175
Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

61 mph with 250's sounds pretty close to me. I think you need more hp if you want to go faster.

One truth about boating is that everyone lies about how fast their boat goes..
Old 07-25-2020, 05:21 AM
  #9  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,232
Received 518 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

I owned that exact setup. It is well documented that the 31 Fountain is a 62 mph boat with 225 Opti's turning 22 Bravos.

The 250XSs were putting out around 275 hp.

With 250XS's, you basically have two choices: 24 Bravos (for top speed running light) or 23 Rev 4's which is the best overall prop for fishing load etc.

The motors should be mounted in the middle holes.

I ran 23 Rev 4's, and it was propped perfect for me. Here were my numbers running with medium load:

4000 rpms = 45 mph (2.25 mpg)
4500 rpms = 52 mph
5000 rpms = 57 mph
5800 rpms = 65 mph


With that being said, these newer technology props (Mercury Eco's, etc) were not out at the time that I owned the Fountain, so I have no idea if any of the newer props would now be the way to go.


Good luck, that was a fun boat!


Last edited by BiloxiGuy; 07-25-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:54 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BiloxiGuy View Post
I owned that exact setup. It is well documented that the 31 Fountain is a 62 mph boat with 225 Opti's turning 22 Bravos.

The 250XSs were putting out around 275 hp.

With 250XS's, you basically have two choices: 24 Bravos (for top speed running light) or 23 Rev 4's which is the best overall prop for fishing load etc.

The motors should be mounted in the middle holes.

I ran 23 Rev 4's, and it was propped perfect for me. Here were my numbers running with medium load:

4000 rpms = 45 mph (2.25 mpg)
4500 rpms = 52 mph
5000 rpms = 57 mph
5800 rpms = 65 mph


With that being said, these newer technology props (Mercury Eco's, etc) were not out at the time that I owned the Fountain, so I have no idea if any of the newer props would now be the way to go.


Good luck, that was a fun boat!
Thanks! Im going to call F&J Monday and see if they have a loaner set of 24s
Old 07-25-2020, 10:13 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 2,596
Received 355 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

You say 96 250XS. Dont believe the 250XS was made in 96 so do you have 250EFI or was 96 a typo? A buddy had a 31 with Merc 250s and it was a 65 mph boat, pretty sure he was running 24 Bravos
Old 07-25-2020, 11:52 AM
  #12  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 6,778
Received 550 Likes on 330 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CcScorpion311 View Post
One hole to go up only. I always run a light load so I want the fastest setup.
Id look for a set of 26 Bravo FS then for Max speed and leave the engines where they are.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:52 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by westco View Post
You say 96 250XS. Dont believe the 250XS was made in 96 so do you have 250EFI or was 96 a typo? A buddy had a 31 with Merc 250s and it was a 65 mph boat, pretty sure he was running 24 Bravos
Sorry, 2005 Merc 250 xs
Old 07-25-2020, 04:46 PM
  #14  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,232
Received 518 Likes on 240 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CcScorpion311 View Post
Sorry, 2005 Merc 250 xs
Mine were 2004s on a 1997 hull, just for reference.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

So just go back after running Bravo 1 24P lost 3mph topping out at 59mph @ 6100rpms. I was hoping after all the research that the 24p would be the right ones. Now what?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:25 PM
  #16  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 12,118
Received 3,590 Likes on 2,218 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CcScorpion311 View Post
So just go back after running Bravo 1 24P lost 3mph topping out at 59mph @ 6100rpms. I was hoping after all the research that the 24p would be the right ones. Now what?
You went up 2" on pitch, gained 300 RPM but lost speed...something is not computing here.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Pete, FL
Posts: 714
Received 202 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

i spent a lot of time finding the limits of my old 31 fountain, prop testing, engine height, lower units rotation in/out, steering toe in/out, lower unit size 4.8 vs 5.44hd.

with 1.75 fleetmaster (4.80 lowers):
25p mirage plus mounted on second from top holes: 64.5 mph @ 5300 rpm
25p mirage plus on bottom holes 68.5 mph @ 5700 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on bottom holes, 72 mph @ 5850 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 72.7 mph @ 5950
28p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 73.8 mph @5750

with verado 5.44HD 1.75 lowers:
23p bravo 1 fs 61mph @ 6000/rev limiter
26p bravo 1 fs, 67mph @ 5850 rpm




Last edited by aswaff400; 08-04-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=aswaff400;13922086]i spent a lot of time finding the limits of my old 31 fountain, prop testing, engine height, lower units rotation in/out, steering toe in/out, lower unit size 4.8 vs 5.44hd.

with 1.75 fleetmaster (4.80 lowers):
25p mirage plus mounted on second from top holes: 64.5 mph @ 5300 rpm
25p mirage plus on bottom holes 68.5 mph @ 5700 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on bottom holes, 72 mph @ 5850 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 72.7 mph @ 5950
28p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 73.8 mph @5750

with verado 5.44HD 1.75 lowers:
23p bravo 1 fs 61mph @ 6000/rev limiter
26p bravo 1 fs, 67mph @ 5850 rpm


Old 08-04-2020, 06:07 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 737
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=CcScorpion311;13922124][QUOTE=aswaff400;13922086]i spent a lot of time finding the limits of my old 31 fountain, prop testing, engine height, lower units rotation in/out, steering toe in/out, lower unit size 4.8 vs 5.44hd.

with 1.75 fleetmaster (4.80 lowers):
25p mirage plus mounted on second from top holes: 64.5 mph @ 5300 rpm
25p mirage plus on bottom holes 68.5 mph @ 5700 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on bottom holes, 72 mph @ 5850 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 72.7 mph @ 5950
28p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 73.8 mph @5750

with verado 5.44HD 1.75 lowers:
23p bravo 1 fs 61mph @ 6000/rev limiter
26p bravo 1 fs, 67mph @ 5850 rpm

Great info! Im going to try and get set of 26FS tomorrow. On the FS do I leave out all the vent plugs? Motors have one more hole to go up. If I raise them how much mph does that really help?
Thank you!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:16 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 2,596
Received 355 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=CcScorpion311;13922143][QUOTE=CcScorpion311;13922124]
Originally Posted by aswaff400 View Post
i spent a lot of time finding the limits of my old 31 fountain, prop testing, engine height, lower units rotation in/out, steering toe in/out, lower unit size 4.8 vs 5.44hd.

with 1.75 fleetmaster (4.80 lowers):
25p mirage plus mounted on second from top holes: 64.5 mph @ 5300 rpm
25p mirage plus on bottom holes 68.5 mph @ 5700 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on bottom holes, 72 mph @ 5850 rpm
26p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 72.7 mph @ 5950
28p bravo 1 fs on jackplate, 73.8 mph @5750

with verado 5.44HD 1.75 lowers:
23p bravo 1 fs 61mph @ 6000/rev limiter
26p bravo 1 fs, 67mph @ 5850 rpm

Great info! Im going to try and get set of 26FS tomorrow. On the FS do I leave out all the vent plugs? Motors have one more hole to go up. If I raise them how much mph does that really help?
Thank you!
saw on the post above, same prop, one hole up=4 mph faster

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.