Notices
The Boating Forum

Sand Bar Skid Marks

Old 06-30-2020, 08:44 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada & Marco Is, FL
Posts: 189
Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Sand Bar Skid Marks

There’s a thread on here about sand bar anchors but what about beaching your beautiful boat and scratching the crap out of the keel?
at home, everyone anchors off and sets a stern line into the beach. We have silica sand at the Great Lakes and it’s very abrasive.
I thought coral sand in the Gulf would be softer, but no - it scratches the hell out of my gel coat. I know about keel guards and will probably go that way but I see very, very expensive Boats beached. What gives? How do people deal with the damage of beaching boats?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:06 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 239
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pelagic295 View Post
There’s a thread on here about sand bar anchors but what about beaching your beautiful boat and scratching the crap out of the keel?
at home, everyone anchors off and sets a stern line into the beach. We have silica sand at the Great Lakes and it’s very abrasive.
I thought coral sand in the Gulf would be softer, but no - it scratches the hell out of my gel coat. I know about keel guards and will probably go that way but I see very, very expensive Boats beached. What gives? How do people deal with the damage of beaching boats?
I carry two anchors(bow and stern) and keep the boat in three feet of water. Beats the hell out of having to adjust with tides from beaching.
Likes:
Old 07-01-2020, 03:54 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 744
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Line X the Keel. Easy as pie.
Likes:
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Raleigh/Carolina Beach, NC
Posts: 305
Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Line X the Keel. Easy as pie.
this. You can get it to match the hull color. Check out East Cape skiffs for an example of how it looks.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:01 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,345
Received 1,373 Likes on 675 Posts
Default

Thought East Cape did a Kevlar coating?

Either way, OP if your concerned about it just set your anchors as you see fit. Worrying about the rest is not gonna help you find an answer. Some do it because they don't know what it can do to their boat or how to anchor with two anchors and others just don't care. I know plenty that beach their skiffs and just don't care because they repaint their hull every couple of years anyways.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 84
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Get a Sand Claw safety anchor for your stern anchor. They work really well on my boat, 28' 8500lbs. They don't have any sharp edges to stub your toes on when you are wading around behind the boat.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:21 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pt. Pleasent NJ.
Posts: 525
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Hamby’s beach bumper

Last edited by TerryS; 07-01-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:32 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 992
Received 126 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

Get a keel guard if you want to beach. I never thought about using LineX, but that's an interesting idea, too.

Me. I'd rather not damage my boat. I anchor off the beach a little bit, and then anchor or tie off the stern.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Smith Mountain Lake VA
Posts: 465
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Anchor on the bow (even with a keel guard) Talon on the stern.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:27 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3
Received 32 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Upshot View Post
Get a Sand Claw safety anchor for your stern anchor. They work really well on my boat, 28' 8500lbs. They don't have any sharp edges to stub your toes on when you are wading around behind the boat.

Thanks for this post, been looking for exactly this type anchor. Just ordered one. Much appreciated sir.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:39 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Raleigh/Carolina Beach, NC
Posts: 305
Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
Thought East Cape did a Kevlar coating?

Either way, OP if your concerned about it just set your anchors as you see fit. Worrying about the rest is not gonna help you find an answer. Some do it because they don't know what it can do to their boat or how to anchor with two anchors and others just don't care. I know plenty that beach their skiffs and just don't care because they repaint their hull every couple of years anyways.
Mine has one of those old school rubber keel guards, but it's a 2013. If you watch the new videos Kevin puts out he says it's line-x.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:56 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: washington d.c.
Posts: 1,384
Received 302 Likes on 197 Posts
Default

Keel guard def works. Line-X is interesting idea.

and don’t forget a bow ladder so you can bow in and not have to wade to the stern. Bow Boarding Ladder When Beached
Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 333
Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Stern towards the beach if there is any chance of waves or wake. Which is virtually everywhere in Florida.
Likes:
Old 07-02-2020, 09:26 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,396
Received 316 Likes on 208 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pelagic295 View Post
I thought coral sand in the Gulf would be softer, but no - it scratches the hell out of my gel coat. I know about keel guards and will probably go that way but I see very, very expensive Boats beached. What gives? How do people deal with the damage of beaching boats?
I believe a decent amount of people just don't care. I used to not beach my boat. I also saw much newer and more expensive boats pushed up on the sand. Does it scratch the bottom? Sure. Does it affect anything? Not that I can tell. I push up on the sand now if I feel like it and my life hasn't changed because of it
Likes:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 447
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

My life is too short to worry about a little scratching on the keel. So I have an aluminum boat. The keel has some scratches, but going ashore is supposed to be fun, not a hassle. I'm sure if you have an expensive vessel, one may worry, but, hell, it's there to take abrasion and protect the rest of the bottom.

I don't wash my car every month either, so just call me carefree!

I do enjoy admiring all of youse guy's boat, though, so please keep 'em polished!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.