The Boating Forum

stupid outrigger question

Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: puget sound
Posts: 639
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default stupid outrigger question

Ok...forgive my total lack of knowledge in this.

I've only ever had taco outriggers and they were used for a single troll rod.

The new to me boat has the wishbone style that I can just drop out so they are way easier to deploy than my last set up. As the boat is also wider I was looking into ideas on how to get more out into the spread. I realize I could probably do a double pulley set up but I keep seeing these longer outriggers that look like they have a metal cross partway up with 4 lines running to each end of the cross.

1) what the heck is that style called?
2) is it really to run more lines? or is it just for support?
3) who makes them so that I can actually look them up and educate myself?
Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Huntersville NC
Posts: 290
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

those lines are just for support
Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
THT sponsor
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,505
Received 2,109 Likes on 1,036 Posts

They are called spreaders and used to stiffen up the rigger. Bigger boats use triple and quad spreaders with tensioning cables.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.