Notices
The Boating Forum

making oil

Old 12-11-2019, 11:56 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making oil

my yami 300 finally quit making oil except that it hasn't. The oil pressure dropped slightly on the command plus computer so I sent an oil sample to blackstone labs. The results showed high fuel in the oil and very low viscosity. wot is 6000 rpms with light load and 5800 with normal fishing load. I started sending samples to blackstone labs and oil analyzers, inc each time that occurred. Always high fuel in oil and always low viscosity. I change the oil each time, sometimes after as little as 11 and 14 hours on an oil change. Apparently, running the engine harder as was recommended allows fuel and oil to bleed off, not just the fuel. average time on an oil change is less than 25 hours. All samples from both labs indicate a problem. Yami says it is within specs. Any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2019, 04:06 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,390
Likes: 0
Received 1,094 Likes on 693 Posts
Default

In/out of warranty? What are the specs Yam are saying it is within? Have you searched the many threads on here about this?
Likes:
Old 12-11-2019, 04:13 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: glen allen, VA
Posts: 751
Likes: 0
Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts
Default

I assume from your post that you have tried all of the suggestions from earlier making oil post. If none of that works i would assume you have a problem. That seems like a real quick oil change to have the problem. I think i could like with 50 hours but 15 hours no way. Are you running the motor hard long enough. I believe the 300ís just donít come up to temperature very well and they need to in order to seat the rings.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:24 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 11,617
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by specks99 View Post
my yami 300 finally quit making oil except that it hasn't. The oil pressure dropped slightly on the command plus computer so I sent an oil sample to blackstone labs. The results showed high fuel in the oil and very low viscosity. wot is 6000 rpms with light load and 5800 with normal fishing load. I started sending samples to blackstone labs and oil analyzers, inc each time that occurred. Always high fuel in oil and always low viscosity. I change the oil each time, sometimes after as little as 11 and 14 hours on an oil change. Apparently, running the engine harder as was recommended allows fuel and oil to bleed off, not just the fuel. average time on an oil change is less than 25 hours. All samples from both labs indicate a problem. Yami says it is within specs. Any suggestions?
Is that really what they said? Or did they say there is/are no defect(s) that need to be corrected under the warranty?

Making oil is a performance issue. Not a material or workmanship defect. I am not aware of any motor maker that provides warranty for a performance related issue.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:25 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,373
Likes: 0
Received 468 Likes on 296 Posts
Default

Somebody knows the cause of this. Bound to! You hear do this do that but whatís the cause?
I had a Kawasaki motor on a scarf v-ride mower that had this issue. Dealer fixed it and said it was a carburetor issue. Adjustment fixed it.
Obviously these 4 strokes are not the same but over fueling or fuel not burning is the problem it seems.

Id love to know how dealers are handling this issue. Iím under 180 hrs on my Yamaha and Iíve done 6 oil changes. Oil is burnt after low hrs and smells of gas.

Is there no real fix or are dealers fixing the issues when folks bring them in to shop for this problem?

gas donít belong in oil. Them saying itís within a certain margin is bull.
Likes:
Old 12-11-2019, 04:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Under the sun
Posts: 984
Received 441 Likes on 260 Posts
Default

well, some make it sound like this is a feature in that brand and not a problem... so, not a problem...
Old 12-11-2019, 04:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,373
Likes: 0
Received 468 Likes on 296 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Is that really what they said? Or did they say there is/are no defect(s) that need to be corrected under the warranty?

Making oil is a performance issue. Not a material or workmanship defect. I am not aware of any motor maker that provides warranty for a performance related issue.

I donít really understand what you mean because if gas is getting in the oil and leds to damage how can that not be a defect? My oil is junk in no time and smells of gas. Performance? I donít follow. What they built may not be defective but HOW they built them can be. Oil shouldnít get so saturated with furl that it trashes the oil that fast. This has to cause over heating and loss of longevity.

just curious if mercury or Suzuki has this issue.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:45 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: marmora nj
Posts: 5,722
Likes: 0
Received 163 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

gonna mount brand new f 300s on my 28 southport tomorrow replacing f250s . Im up here in north east and wont run them till march or april of next year and then turn on warranty . my concern is that ai don't run the boat like a 30 year old as IM 62 . the southport can take it but I don't want to . so with that being said any help w/ break in will be appreciated . hopefully this will be my last set of motors ,so would like them to last . also do any of you guys know of a easier way to flush them as they are pretty tight on my southport - wish they came out with an attachment to make things easier for the old dudes . thanx in advance ! I know about doing a seach and have but to much bs to deal with , just looking for a bullet point way of doing things . for the money spent you would think they would make it easier . single applications are fine but twins,trips and quads can be a workout
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,979
Received 1,168 Likes on 821 Posts
Default

Drive em like you stole em
Old 12-11-2019, 04:51 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 11,617
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tossedabout View Post
I donít really understand what you mean because if gas is getting in the oil and leds to damage how can that not be a defect? My oil is junk in no time and smells of gas. Performance? I donít follow. What they built may not be defective but HOW they built them can be. Oil shouldnít get so saturated with furl that it trashes the oil that fast. This has to cause over heating and loss of longevity.

just curious if mercury or Suzuki has this issue.
Any and all four strokes can suffer from this phenomena.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:52 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 11,617
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by combi_40 View Post
well, some make it sound like this is a feature in that brand and not a problem... so, not a problem...
It can be a feature in all brands that offer four stroke models.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 21,587
Received 641 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Any and all four strokes can suffer from this phenomena.
Could be, but lower than spec viscosity oil that does not retain the same lubrication protection is a problem in my book and only a faulty engine will alter the oil

But, that said, the oil analysis should also be telling you the heavy metal contents in 100 hr old oil and if the low vis is or is not causing premature wear.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:27 PM
  #13  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: (snowbird in training) Lake Erie Un-salted water and shark free!
Posts: 7,247
Received 666 Likes on 356 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bullshipper View Post
Could be, but lower than spec viscosity oil that does not retain the same lubrication protection is a problem in my book and only a faulty engine will alter the oil

But, that said, the oil analysis should also be telling you the heavy metal contents in 100 hr old oil and if the low vis is or is not causing premature wear.
This /\
Lubricant is a lubricant.
Reduce your oil change interval. Oil and filters are cheap.
Likes:
Old 12-11-2019, 05:46 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

still under warranty but Yamaha says nothing is wrong. I do run the engine hard and that now is keeping the oil on the dipstick in the normal ranges but the lab reports show high fuel and low viscosity. I can post their results. It give an acceptable range but mine never is within that range. This is true with both labs. I think it is cheaper for them to not address this unless they are sued. From all the posts I have read over the past year it appears there are thousands of boaters like me. I bought the extended warranty but I expect a 25k motor to last more than 6 years. I am retired now and plan to use it the rest of my life. My wife's 200 yami is out of warranty and now it sounds like a rod is going to go soon.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:46 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dacman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Summerville SC
Posts: 7,724
Received 574 Likes on 439 Posts
Default

What have you tried to remedy this ?
Is the cooling system working properly, meaning not overcooling.
What is your heading out strategy or normal procedure?
The engine likes to be at optimal temperature and warmed up before balls to the walls throttle. If the block is cold and the pistons hot , it may blow by more.
Maybe try new tstats and pressure reg valve for starters.
And let it warm up to temp before pushing it hard?
Just some thoughts.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:47 PM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I run it hard. All that does is cause the fuel and oil to be expelled. I doesn't just get rid of the oil.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:48 PM
  #17  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I would think that hotter engine would cause even more wear. I live in a warm water environment
Old 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am in a sport fishing club with many members. None of the susuki's seem to be having any problems. There aren't many Mercuries running but I would try those new ones before buying a Yamaha.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:53 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: On the Ocean
Posts: 2,717
Received 1,062 Likes on 522 Posts
Default

Guy on THT that goes by Vantaredoc has twin F300's with identical issue. If I recall he switched to Castrol 20w - 50 and the issue stopped immediately.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,894
Likes: 0
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,047 Posts
Default

I would increase 1 or 2 pitch in prop even if you are dialed in.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.