Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

It floated a couple minutes but then Sank...Total loss

Notices
The Boating Forum

It floated a couple minutes but then Sank...Total loss

Old 11-12-2019, 02:46 PM
  #81  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL & NY
Posts: 292
Received 86 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Thank you for sharing and glad there were no injuries!
I'm with you and will be changing my habits when at ramps from this day forward.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 PM
  #82  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location:
Posts: 414
Likes: 0
Received 214 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

I usually just leave mine in park, not a step or wet ramp though. I will start using the parking brake
Old 11-12-2019, 07:36 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,316
Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rdmallory View Post
E-brakes are not designed to work in reverse.
They use forward rotation to work.

Doug
Only true of drum brake E-brakes. Many of the disc style E-brakes now use the rear brake caliper and a valve that maintains pressure on the piston when activated.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 PM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 161
Received 146 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Going to now add wheel chocks & turning the front wheels to my launch & retrieval routine. Thanx OP.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:59 PM
  #85  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 3,538
Received 1,572 Likes on 991 Posts
Default

I must be missing something. I rented a 2019 Ford pickup truck today to launch my boat (twice a year event). After I backed the trailer down the ramp and stopped, I could find no parking brake actuator. Guess I should have read the manual first. So I had to just leave it in park and worry about it. But now I seem to read about those trucks having an electronic parking brake. How does that work? Did I not find the button or is it automatically applied? I want to rent again when needed.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:48 PM
  #86  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,397
Received 302 Likes on 185 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SWF Pontoon Angler View Post
There are videos on youtube of pulling a stock car on trailer with the Touareg doing 75 and 80 mph. It's one of the best mid sized SUV's for towing and has factory hitch along with 4WD or really all wheel drive but still gets 20 or more mpg. It weighs around 5000 pounds. My Explorer got 13 pulling my 3500 pound boat.
Lots of things can tow stuff fast on a flat road. A stock car only weighs around 3500# (plus the trailer weight). My minivan could do it.

Things get more interesting if you have to swerve or stop suddenly.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 PM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,397
Received 302 Likes on 185 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tango2echo View Post
Only true of drum brake E-brakes. Many of the disc style E-brakes now use the rear brake caliper and a valve that maintains pressure on the piston when activated.
Problem with using disc brakes for parking is that if the brakes are hot when you apply the parking brake the rotors can warp. That is why a lot of 4 wheel disc brake vehicles use the drum in the hat setup for the parking brake.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:35 AM
  #88  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,168
Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ssobol2533@aol.com View Post
Lots of things can tow stuff fast on a flat road. A stock car only weighs around 3500# (plus the trailer weight). My minivan could do it.

Things get more interesting if you have to swerve or stop suddenly.
Yes, I've experienced that quick swerve and was very lucky that time when someone cut me off. All I'm saying is I like the Idea of getting an SUV that has a towing capacity of 7700 pounds. I'm not going to pull 7700 pounds but It will be possible. My Explorer could only pull 5600 pounds and it had no problem pulling my boat all over the US. Usually to me, more is usually better when thinking about tow capacity
Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 AM
  #89  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,168
Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
I must be missing something. I rented a 2019 Ford pickup truck today to launch my boat (twice a year event). After I backed the trailer down the ramp and stopped, I could find no parking brake actuator. Guess I should have read the manual first. So I had to just leave it in park and worry about it. But now I seem to read about those trucks having an electronic parking brake. How does that work? Did I not find the button or is it automatically applied? I want to rent again when needed.
Here's how to do it. https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...ng-brake.html#
Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 AM
  #90  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,168
Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 47Fountain View Post
Going to now add wheel chocks & turning the front wheels to my launch & retrieval routine. Thanx OP.
Thanks to you and everyone else who commented about using chocs. You have all convinced me too. I must say I've never seen anyone at the ramp doing it all my life but I'll be watching now and when I see someone do it I'll know they probably read this post and are on THT.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,168
Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Team Seaside View Post
I usually just leave mine in park, not a step or wet ramp though. I will start using the parking brake
That's exactly what I did when it went in. Are you going to turn off the car?
Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NOLA Brah
Posts: 2,741
Received 510 Likes on 313 Posts
Default

Congrats on the new VW. What you did at the ramp is pretty much exactly what 95% of us do. Whatever failed on your old car, well...good riddance.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 AM
  #93  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,342
Received 3,631 Likes on 1,897 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
Yeah any number of things could short out and catch fire if they're filled with conductive saltwater.
This.^^^^^^^^^^

Got a F250 wet from a flood of saltwater. Got the truck all washed off and it caught fire 2 days later. Tow truck driver said it was common.

I have launched over 100 times a year for over 20 years. Always with 150 or a 250. Parking brake and in park. I back down put my foot on the brake and put the truck in park. Let my foot off brake to let the park feature fully engage as the truck will usually roll back slightly to get into park. Then I apply the emergency/parking Brake.

Never had a issue nor have millions of others. Something broke for the op and I don't believe that without both the brake and the Tranny in Park many vehicles will hold reliably.

Fairly sure the OP has launched with that boat and vehicle plenty of times without issue.

The only time I have used a chock was for a ford ranger. It was more to prevent sliding than rolling on slippery ramps.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:33 AM
  #94  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,532
Received 1,039 Likes on 519 Posts
Default

I think if I had a truck with a manual transmission I'd consider using a chock. Otherwise I'm in the Park/Parking Brake camp. Been doing it for years without issue.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 AM
  #95  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 973
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Here's my chock set up:

tie a line between the chocks long enough to reach from one rear truck tire, over the trailer tongue, and down to the other chock at the other tire. when you pull up the ramp, the line will catch the trailer winch stand and drag the chocks up the ramp under the trailer and out of the way.
I hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 AM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 650
Received 246 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by captainrich View Post
Here's my chock set up:

tie a line between the chocks long enough to reach from one rear truck tire, over the trailer tongue, and down to the other chock at the other tire. when you pull up the ramp, the line will catch the trailer winch stand and drag the chocks up the ramp under the trailer and out of the way.
I hope this helps.

That right there is the best idea
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 AM
  #97  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,168
Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acme54321 View Post
I think if I had a truck with a manual transmission I'd consider using a chock. Otherwise I'm in the Park/Parking Brake camp. Been doing it for years without issue.
I've done it for 50 years without a problem until I did. I fish at least once a week and have been doing so since I bought my Explorer. I have always without exception put it in park and used the emergency brake. I have always let it run while on the ramp. If I was on a slick ramp I would never have used it and never will. I've fallen down a few times and it's worse than ice.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:07 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,168
Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
Congrats on the new VW. What you did at the ramp is pretty much exactly what 95% of us do. Whatever failed on your old car, well...good riddance.
I have USAA insurance and they treat us very well. Nice new rental car and very fair settlement. I did love my Explorer though and it cost like $37000 new. Pulled that boat with it many miles as well as a camper that weighed close to 5000 pounds for a couple years.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 AM
  #99  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Deltona FL, Penrod KY
Posts: 2,164
Received 458 Likes on 273 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tango2echo View Post
Only true of drum brake E-brakes. Many of the disc style E-brakes now use the rear brake caliper and a valve that maintains pressure on the piston when activated.
I agree, My F250 has disk but the Parking/E Brake is still a drum inside the rear disk.
One shoe is longer and the lever is camed forward.

"The brake shoes pivot at opposite points to each other.[4] This gives the maximum possible braking when moving forwards, but is not so effective when the vehicle is traveling in reverse.[4]"
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/d...ing-brake.html
Likes:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:35 AM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: VA
Posts: 519
Received 313 Likes on 224 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rdmallory View Post
I agree, My F250 has disk but the Parking/E Brake is still a drum inside the rear disk.
One shoe is longer and the lever is camed forward.

"The brake shoes pivot at opposite points to each other.[4] This gives the maximum possible braking when moving forwards, but is not so effective when the vehicle is traveling in reverse.[4]"
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/d...ing-brake.html
My F150 e brake is like this. Poor design IMO. Doesn't hold enough to keep you from motoring fwd or reverse. This allows it to be driven with the brake on. Has to be adjusted or it will fail. I got to where pulling the atv I use a chock anywhere it might roll as I can't predict which day it's going to not do its job. It's a small hassle to having a mishap.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.