Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Are newer Yamaha 350s really that bad?

Notices
The Boating Forum

Are newer Yamaha 350s really that bad?

Old 10-10-2019, 05:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 362
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Are newer Yamaha 350s really that bad?

I recently walked away from a 2017 everglades 320ex fully loaded with every option imaginable due to the 80 hour fly wheel issue which is supposedly covered by Yamaha for an unknown duration. It was a beautiful boat and itís still sitting at the dealer with a 20k price drop from when I looked at it.

I ended up getting a new Pursuit 295 with twin 300s.

The dealer said the 350s are the kiss of death.

Are they really that bad?

Popular Reply

10-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Boat Hound
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,664
Received 1,549 Likes on 723 Posts
Default

Maybe not. But I ďdatedĒ a girl, former model, way out of my league. Just unreal. She was wonderful to boot. She told he she had herpes. Now told me that was not that big of a deal, unless well she was in an episode. We are friends.

Itís kinda like that.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:10 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 362
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boat Hound View Post
Maybe not. But I ďdatedĒ a girl, former model, way out of my league. Just unreal. She was wonderful to boot. She told he she had herpes. Now told me that was not that big of a deal, unless well she was in an episode. We are friends.

Itís kinda like that.
lol. Bummer I was looking at the pursuit 355 for my next boat. They only come with 350s unless you get new with trip 300s or twin 425s
Old 10-10-2019, 05:24 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 244
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

I love Yamaha and have owned them. There is absolutely no way, ever, that I would purposely buy a motor with my own money that I knew had this flywheel problem.

I donít know how many different ways I can say that.

But i put a lot of hours in motors. If you only did 50-100 hours per year I guess you can own them.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:25 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 362
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DanJacobson View Post
I love Yamaha and have owned them. There is absolutely no way, ever, that I would purposely buy a motor with my own money that I knew had this flywheel problem.

I donít know how many different ways I can say that.

But i put a lot of hours in motors. If you only did 50-100 hours per year I guess you can own them.
i do around 200 a year. Sounded like a hassle even with the free replacement thatís why I walked.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:37 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DI, AL
Posts: 904
Received 123 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Only non owners are inconvenienced by flywheel change
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 4,842
Received 986 Likes on 484 Posts
Default

Look at boats that require the 350s like the 34 reg and 34 Jupiter and see how long they take to sell. There are two in here been for sale for 1-2 years. Why
? The 350s
Likes:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:12 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: glen allen, VA
Posts: 820
Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

The 350 is just as dependable as the 300. Exclude the first generation 350 and you will see a dependable motor the is much stronger the the 300 and the Yamaha 350 and the Suzuki 350. Runs off 87 octane lots of torque. The flywheel issue is 80 hours between a small rpm band. You could go 500 hours without having to replace the flywheel.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Delaware
Posts: 178
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

How difficult is it to change the flywheel?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 122
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

What is the RPM range that increases the need to change the flywheel at 80 hours?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Pascagoula, Ms
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dolphin Daze View Post
What is the RPM range that increases the need to change the flywheel at 80 hours?
3500-4200 is where the harmonics occur that will lead to flywheel disaster
Likes:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southern Ocean
Posts: 650
Received 106 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

Such a big deal for some, completely irrelevant to a lot of owners.

FIL has over 600hrs on trip set fitted to a 40ft 8t tri hull fishing boat and still hasn't logged hours in the flywheel zone requiring they be replaced.

Fish tank full of water, loaded with live fish, the thing goes a tad under 10t.

Love to see how a set of 2.6lt mercs would go with that load lol
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,100
Received 2,778 Likes on 1,164 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stanleynj View Post
I recently walked away from a 2017 everglades 320ex fully loaded with every option imaginable due to the 80 hour fly wheel issue which is supposedly covered by Yamaha for an unknown duration. It was a beautiful boat and it’s still sitting at the dealer with a 20k price drop from when I looked at it.

I ended up getting a new Pursuit 295 with twin 300s.

The dealer said the 350s are the kiss of death.

Are they really that bad?
All I'm gonna say is there is a reason that boat is still there unsold, heavily discounted.

the secondary market for 350s is even worse. If you were going to keep the boat forever maybe, but if you ever wanted to sell it you would hate yourself for buying it.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:13 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Miami
Posts: 39
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jcirks View Post
How difficult is it to change the flywheel?

Does it matter? Its an engine that has a defect and Yamaha's remedy is to replace the flywheel every X amount of hours. Yamaha and their "non" corrosion issues, it was so "non" an issue that Yamaha came out with a kit to fix the problem. Then years later the 350 flywheel issue that they cant event correct? Stay away from them.

Just my 2 cents :-)
Likes:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:26 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location:
Posts: 1,329
Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Default

The 350ís are solid motors after the first generation but the resale on them is horrific. If you have a heavy boat that needs torquey twins to push it they are still the number 1 option as you are seeing.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Spring hill, FL
Posts: 407
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

I have been watching boats for quite a while now as we are getting screwed over on getting our boat lifts done. Seems like the ones that are the toughest to sell are definitely the Yamaha 350 boats. Merc 350's seem to be pretty good but when it comes to Yamaha 350's not so good. There are some real nice boats for sale at a good price but they have Yamaha 350's. There is a real nice Intrepid and Contender I would be all over if it were not for the Yamaha 350's. I had many Yamaha's and loved all but one. Never owned a 350 but because of sites like this I just don't want to own one. That being said how many are sold? It's a fact Yamaha has more sold than anyone else. If Yamaha has 10% of their 30 Thousand F-350's sold with problems and the others have only sold 15 thousand of their 350's sold how does it play out. There are many happy people that don't leave reviews or comments on sites like this but one thing for sure those not happy will bitch and make it known. I will never own a Yamaha 350 only because of what I have read but that does not mean they are not good motors. Power of social media can be a bitch.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,150
Likes: 0
Received 298 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Man, I feel like a fool. I passed on many used boat deals that were great bec f350s were on the back. I told myself stay away from those headache motors.

Here I am with Zuke 350s that I just want to use as anchors. It's all their worth to me at this point.

Anyone want to trade their POS f350s with fly wheel problem for my zukes that don't run?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:34 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 78
Received 116 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Any rumors as to when Yamaha will replace the 350 with a clean sheet motor or when Merc will offer a 350 or 400 version of the V8? With DF350 also seeming to have issues and the 350 Verado more geared toward top end than low end there seems like a gaping hole in the market.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 362
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lovegettinsnooked View Post
I have been watching boats for quite a while now as we are getting screwed over on getting our boat lifts done. Seems like the ones that are the toughest to sell are definitely the Yamaha 350 boats. Merc 350's seem to be pretty good but when it comes to Yamaha 350's not so good. There are some real nice boats for sale at a good price but they have Yamaha 350's. There is a real nice Intrepid and Contender I would be all over if it were not for the Yamaha 350's. I had many Yamaha's and loved all but one. Never owned a 350 but because of sites like this I just don't want to own one. That being said how many are sold? It's a fact Yamaha has more sold than anyone else. If Yamaha has 10% of their 30 Thousand F-350's sold with problems and the others have only sold 15 thousand of their 350's sold how does it play out. There are many happy people that don't leave reviews or comments on sites like this but one thing for sure those not happy will bitch and make it known. I will never own a Yamaha 350 only because of what I have read but that does not mean they are not good motors. Power of social media can be a bitch.
yep. This site made me think twice about the 350s and I also thought about resale. Itís like buying a beautiful home next to powerlines.

Next boat will probably be diesels, 36í+, fishing machine. Maybe an Albemarle.

i love my pursuit so hopefully I can find a dock big enough for 2 boats when the time comes. The low draft and outboards are perfect when I want to hang out in the bay.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,341
Likes: 0
Received 479 Likes on 269 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thegeneral13 View Post
Any rumors as to when Yamaha will replace the 350 with a clean sheet motor or when Merc will offer a 350 or 400 version of the V8? With DF350 also seeming to have issues and the 350 Verado more geared toward top end than low end there seems like a gaping hole in the market.
I don't know, but you would think that one of the best engine technology companies in the world wouldn't just let this go, because it damages the reputation that was established over decades.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:00 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: glen allen, VA
Posts: 820
Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

I guess itís all perspective. When i was buying my last boat the builder mostly used mercury motors. 350 verodoís. Very few had yamahaís. The mercury motors worried me more because itís really hard to find a mercury mechanic where i keep my boat. Also i could never get comfortable with the supercharger. Iím sure itís a good motor but the f350 is a well respected motor by those that log lots of hours.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.