Notices
The Boating Forum

CC with cobia tower: mono vs cat?

Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 100
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CC with cobia tower: mono vs cat?

Looking at purchasing a 23ft range CC with a tower for cobia fishing. I wanted to ask if anyone has any real world experience with being on a cat vs a mono hull with a tower and what recommendations you may have. Furthermore, I am being told that if I went with a mono, it needs to be a boat with less deadrise to help with rolling/tipping once 1-2 people are in the tower.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 199
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudden83 View Post
Looking at purchasing a 23ft range CC with a tower for cobia fishing. I wanted to ask if anyone has any real world experience with being on a cat vs a mono hull with a tower and what recommendations you may have. Furthermore, I am being told that if I went with a mono, it needs to be a boat with less deadrise to help with rolling/tipping once 1-2 people are in the tower.
I would say it would depend on the cat. I have a 99 worldcat 26ft. I would not want to be up in a tower on a lot of days here on the Chesapeake. My model cat rolls pretty well. However the best days for sight casting for Cobia are flat calm days. So I would say if you have a flexible schedule and can pick your days to fish it may work out fine. I would definitely get a sea trail in the tower and see what your comfortable with. Hell here on the Chesapeake guys will strap walkers to there t tops so everyone has a different level of tolerance lol
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 22,684
Received 992 Likes on 650 Posts
Default

In a 23, there is no question that the cat would be more stable and a better ride.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:44 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 100
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Lower Chesapeake is where I will be fishing. Yes, I have seen some of step ladders and it's kinda crazy. I am currently looking at a 22ft twin vee and 23ft c hawk both done up with full towers.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:52 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 199
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rudden83 View Post
Lower Chesapeake is where I will be fishing. Yes, I have seen some of step ladders and it's kinda crazy. I am currently looking at a 22ft twin vee and 23ft c hawk both done up with full towers.
I use to run a 25 chawk pilothouse on the bay and it would beat you half to death on a choppy day but it was stable as a barge it did have a 9.5ft beam I think the 23 is 8.5. I have know info on a 22 twin vee other than I've seen them on the bay and they seem to do well in the chop. If your using the boat primarily on calm days I think the hawk will work out great for you and you only need to service 1 motor.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 100
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

That is the tradeoff, dual motor maintenance!!!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:26 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 22,684
Received 992 Likes on 650 Posts
Default

The 22 Twin Vee bay cat is a low hull, especially at the bow.
They used to make a higher Awesome model and I would prefer that in the Chesapeake if I didn't want to take green water over the bow.

I know the Chesapeake is a bay, but it can get nasty. Check with some locals to make sure it'll work.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:46 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 100
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Hmmmm looking at the twin vee on the the lift, never ocured to me about freeboard.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:18 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ocracoke Island NC
Posts: 164
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Simply put a cat is going to be more stable than a deep v monohull and a little bit more stable than a flatter ass mono. On the downside the controls for the upper station are going to be way more expensive in the second station for the cat. Look at the Judge 265 it is an incredible tower boat for cobia and drum sight casting.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:41 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,221
Received 604 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

Funny, I'm going to put a tower on my 1999 26 World Cat because I think it's a great Bay boat.

A C-Hawk would be fine but you'll have to pick your days, won't ride as well as a cat.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:31 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 100
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bullshipper View Post
The 22 Twin Vee bay cat is a low hull, especially at the bow.
They used to make a higher Awesome model and I would prefer that in the Chesapeake if I didn't want to take green water over the bow.

I know the Chesapeake is a bay, but it can get nasty. Check with some locals to make sure it'll work.
Bullshipper, confirmed with the owner the model is a 22 Awesome
Old 10-10-2019, 04:33 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore,MD
Posts: 100
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by go2abaco View Post
Simply put a cat is going to be more stable than a deep v monohull and a little bit more stable than a flatter ass mono. On the downside the controls for the upper station are going to be way more expensive in the second station for the cat. Look at the Judge 265 it is an incredible tower boat for cobia and drum sight casting.
I'd love that model Judge but its out of my budget. The twin vee I am eyeballin already has controls and full tower
Old 10-10-2019, 04:49 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 6,361
Received 2,621 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default

Almost anything other than a C-Hawk in the lower Bay. I am a cool-aide cat owner, but honestly the C-Hawk will beat the piss out of you down there. I have LOTS of hours all over the bay too.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:06 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,221
Received 604 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

Not sure what your budget is, but my buddy has a 24 Judge Chesapeake with a full tower and we had a blast fishing it this year. He chatters it so at times he goes out in less than ideal conditions and said he never felt uncomfortable. I was looking for a 27 Judge when my World Cat fell into my lap.

Not my Judge

Don't forget about Parker, May Craft, Shamrock, Glacier Bay and others. I don't know if you want a cabin or CC.

Last edited by SaltyDawg86; 10-10-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:39 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 763
Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

The cats ride nice when underway in chop but don’t turn worth a crap at low speeds. Sight fishing Cobia, you will be cruising around at lower speeds and want to make quick turns. Sea trial both and go with what you like but it will be another mono for me.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 6,361
Received 2,621 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OutdoorzDude View Post
The cats ride nice when underway in chop but don’t turn worth a crap at low speeds. Sight fishing Cobia, you will be cruising around at lower speeds and want to make quick turns. Sea trial both and go with what you like but it will be another mono for me.

All boats are compromises. But I will say- i can turn my cat on a dime in slow maneuvering. Don't forget i have two engines as far apart as you can get per beam. one forward one reverse, even with no throttle and i can spin instantly. full spin spook the fish? drop the inside engine out of gear and around she will come
Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,229
Likes: 0
Received 791 Likes on 435 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OutdoorzDude View Post
The cats ride nice when underway in chop but don’t turn worth a crap at low speeds.
Sure they do. You just need to use the engines and not only the steering wheel.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,902
Received 327 Likes on 182 Posts
Default

I looked at some of those 22 Twin Vees. One thing to look out for is that the scuppers may be at or under water level, leading to constant water on the deck. The weight of a tower makes this more likely. But not all of them did this, it is inconsistent from boat to boat.

I would think a cat would be more stable in a tower, except maybe in a tight beam sea.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 1,663
Likes: 0
Received 978 Likes on 483 Posts
Default

Personally, in a boat that size, I don't think I'd want full tower in either one....I think just a ring on top of the Top with no controls would be the way to go. You'll only want to be up there on a calm day while at idle speeds or while drifting, preferably with the bow into the waves......drifting beam to in a chop or passing boat wake is going to have alot of side to side movement in any hull that has an 8'6" beam.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:09 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 763
Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Drako View Post
Sure they do. You just need to use the engines and not only the steering wheel.
i understand but if you only have two hands, and trying to get your bait ready, that’s a lot more work than just spinning the wheel and then throttling up or throwing it in neutral. Like many have said, pros and cons with each but there are several 20-22’ ft mono boats that are very stable with two people up top

Last edited by OutdoorzDude; 10-10-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.