Notices
The Boating Forum

Advice on Boats

Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Boats

I have been looking and looking and I’m just lost at the moment. I’m looking for a boat in the 16’ to 18’ range that has a price tag of at the most 25,000. The type of fishing I want to do is mostly inshore and taking out a boat to the jetty’s in New Smyrna Beach. I just need some advice on what will allow me to fish inshore and get me to the jetty’s.

Last edited by MVeler; 10-07-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Title change
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Swamp, FL
Posts: 2,046
Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts
Default

Center console, single engine, self baling, fiberglass, with a bait well. New or used? Boston Whaler, Edgewater, Parker, Steiger, Bulls Bay, Privateer, C-Hawk, and many more. Remember, a VHF radio installed in the boat, plus a portable/waterproof VHF radio and a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) to strap to your auto inflatable Life Vest that you wear 100% of the time are a 100% must have.

My choice for you would be a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk, or a 17' Edgewater. With a cap of $25K you will likely have to look at used boats, and if you do, do not buy one without using a certified marine surveyor experienced in outboard motors, to check out the boat. Sea trial with Surveyor is a must.

Here's one that would work, but not my first choice. https://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/...=xNewInventory

Last edited by Jkcam; 10-07-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:11 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jkcam View Post
Center console, single engine, self baling, fiberglass, with a bait well. New or used? Boston Whaler, Edgewater, Parker, Steiger, Bulls Bay, Privateer, C-Hawk, and many more. Remember, a VHF radio installed in the boat, plus a portable/waterproof VHF radio and a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) to strap to your auto inflatable Life Vest that you wear 100% of the time are a 100% must have.

My choice for you would be a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk, or a 17' Edgewater. With a cap of $25K you will likely have to look at used boats, and if you do, do not buy one without using a certified marine surveyor experienced in outboard motors, to check out the boat. Sea trial with Surveyor is a must.

Here's one that would work
Map you wouldn’t even consider using an aluminum boat for saltwater fishing?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:23 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 2,660
Received 964 Likes on 524 Posts
Default

You could contact a Lund dealer for specific requirements on aluminum in salt. I know you have at the very least guard against galvanic corrosion in salt somehow. You can get pretty close to your budget on an 18' Lund (boat, motor, trailer).
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Swamp, FL
Posts: 2,046
Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MVeler View Post
Map you wouldn’t even consider using an aluminum boat for saltwater fishing?
You will never be able to sell it, in a saltwater location.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,018
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

I have been running aluminum in salt since 2006. I trailer 100%. With you budget look for used. You would be hard pressed to find a LUND new for that kind of money.
A Maycraft 1700 pr 1800 would be a good choice.
Will you trailer or slip it.? I would not slip aluminum.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:47 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Received 103 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

A little outside your budget, but this summer Parker was offering their 1801 for 31k fully rigged with electronics and a trailer. I have found having a warranty on a new boat and getting a few trouble free years of ownership worth the cost of you can swing it.

The 1801 is a hardcore fishing boat. Doesn’t have all the comforts of some of the more family friendly brands, but is rock solid. Admit I might be a bit biased as I own their 2500.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:08 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,341
Likes: 0
Received 478 Likes on 268 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MVeler View Post


Map you wouldn’t even consider using an aluminum boat for saltwater fishing?
I'm pretty sure that's a common west coast thing. Your average tracker, while nice boats for what they are, would not be my first choice.
Likes:
Old 10-08-2019, 04:15 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 274
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

+1 for a 17' Boston Whaler Montauk. I've had two over the years and will likely have one as long as I can step aboard. Just a great little boat. I put my kids in it on their own... about the best thing I can say for it.
Likes:
Old 10-08-2019, 04:44 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 889
Likes: 0
Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MVeler View Post


Map you wouldn’t even consider using an aluminum boat for saltwater fishing?
aluminum boats are not built for florida. mostly for up north where we get large debris in the water and its fairly cold. they are much more expensive than the plastic boats.
down there you will get mostly riveted or lightly welded boats which are no better than a fiberglass hull (e.g. lund etc).
ideally in aluminum you want 1/4" (0.250) plate bottoms and you will typically want to paint it (hull only) with interprotect 2000e if you are going to be keeping it in the salt.
Most or all the good ones have enclosed cabins or bimini tops.
a good 18 footer will run you around $65,000.
e.g. https://www.lifeproofboats.com/models-1
Old 10-08-2019, 04:49 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 121
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Time Machine View Post
I'm pretty sure that's a common west coast thing. Your average tracker, while nice boats for what they are, would not be my first choice.
Aluminum boats are indeed very common on the west coast and North Pacific. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t work as well in the Gulf or the Atlantic?
Old 10-08-2019, 04:58 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 889
Likes: 0
Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by D3dubya View Post


Aluminum boats are indeed very common on the west coast and North Pacific. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t work as well in the Gulf or the Atlantic?
they are built for a different style of boating.
1. they are too expensive at nearly 2x the cost of plastic boats
2. they are built for taking a pounding with large debris. completely overbuilt for florida. you dont need a 1/4" plate bottom. you wont be running into logs 5-10x per trip.
3. no ventilation for the driver.
4. usually dark colors which absorb heat
5. enclosed cabins with heaters or full biminis. in FL sun you will burn to death.
6. no bow cushions or any comfort up front.
take mine for example, does this look like a FL boat to you ?


Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 121
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yhsesq View Post
they are built for a different style of boating.
1. they are too expensive at nearly 2x the cost of plastic boats
2. they are built for taking a pounding with large debris. completely overbuilt for florida. you dont need a 1/4" plate bottom. you wont be running into logs 5-10x per trip.
3. no ventilation for the driver.
4. usually dark colors which absorb heat
5. enclosed cabins with heaters or full biminis. in FL sun you will burn to death.
6. no bow cushions or any comfort up front.
take mine for example, does this look like a FL boat to you ?

yhsesq, that is a great looking boat you have there. I was in no way disputing your word when I posted the question about not understanding why an aluminum boat would not work in the Gulf or the Atlantic. I did not even see your post until I had already posted my post under yours. I have never navigated the Pacific. I surely did not know that it was so littered with logs that slamming into them 5 or 10 times per trip was commonplace. Im surprised that 1/4 “ aluminum plate even holds up to that abuse! As your boat sits, no it don’t look much like a Fla. boat. I imagine someone in Fla. could engineer a way to open them windows though, if I looked hard enough I bet I could even find someone that could install an AC unit in it. I doubt a heater would be much use in Fla. for the majority of the year, but guys in the Northern Atlantic states use them regularly. Do aluminum boats only come in dark colors? What about white? Thanks for setting me straight on all that!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:11 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,730
Received 517 Likes on 320 Posts
Default

Cape Horn 17.
Likes:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 889
Likes: 0
Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

you can paint them white like the bottom of my hull or put an a/c but not much point. it costs more and isnt worth the effort for a boat designed for a different use.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:08 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 3,522
Received 1,570 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Aluminum boats definitely have their places. But keep in mind that metal boats (and wood boats) can't be easily designed with compound curves. Plastic lends itself very well to making the hull any shape the designer wants.
Likes:
Old 10-09-2019, 03:34 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go longer if you can afford it.

Hi, I would stick to the used boat from 22-24 ftrange used boat, like striper and sea pro can be bought in those range under 25k easy.

I don't know know where you live but my 235 scout is for sell and is only 24k. This will handle everything your looking to do.

stick to mid tier boat. You’ll get the best bang for your bucks. Aqua sport, we’ll craft, hydra sports. Or even a robalo used like r18. All of those over 20ft will work for you.

I had an 18ft sea pro and that was a bit small for the Jeffry run.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.