Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

New I 3 Evinrude G2 repower anyone done it?

Notices
The Boating Forum

New I 3 Evinrude G2 repower anyone done it?

Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New I 3 Evinrude G2 repower anyone done it?

I'm curious what performance was like on these compared to the competition in the 150 segment. Anyone done it?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,735
Received 231 Likes on 129 Posts
Default

I'm also curious. I'm sure the 3 cylinder won't have as much torque at low rpms as some 6 cylinder competitors, but the light weight and ability to have a joystick with twins (also eliminating a liquid tie bar for catamarans) is going to be really nice for some people.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:03 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scott_gunn View Post
I'm also curious. I'm sure the 3 cylinder won't have as much torque at low rpms as some 6 cylinder competitors, but the light weight and ability to have a joystick with twins (also eliminating a liquid tie bar for catamarans) is going to be really nice for some people.
No joystick for the I 3 yet anyway I asked. I'm also wandering about torque. The only v6 competition is the Evinrude etec currently in the standard 150. The others are 4 cylinder.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:17 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 600
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99Worldcat View Post
I'm curious what performance was like on these compared to the competition in the 150 segment. Anyone done it?
From talking to some friends at BRP they said that the I3 150hp performance is comparable to the Yamaha 150 and maybe a mile an hour or two slower. It won't compare to their V6 G2 in power or performance.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:22 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,735
Received 231 Likes on 129 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99Worldcat View Post
No joystick for the I 3 yet anyway I asked. I'm also wandering about torque. The only v6 competition is the Evinrude etec currently in the standard 150. The others are 4 cylinder.
Well that sucks, I don't really care about having a joystick but I would like to eliminate the liquid tie-bar in a future repower.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:26 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by scott_gunn View Post
Well that sucks, I don't really care about having a joystick but I would like to eliminate the liquid tie-bar in a future repower.
Yeah that would be nice, looks like you need to step up to a 150ho for that for now anyhow
Old 10-08-2019, 06:19 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbo View Post
From talking to some friends at BRP they said that the I3 150hp performance is comparable to the Yamaha 150 and maybe a mile an hour or two slower. It won't compare to their V6 G2 in power or performance.
Thanks that's good to hear. I'll keep my eye out for performance reports on this engine, so far I haven't seen any.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:33 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,285
Received 673 Likes on 412 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99Worldcat View Post
Thanks that's good to hear. I'll keep my eye out for performance reports on this engine, so far I haven't seen any.


https://boattest.com/engine-review/E...G2-150-HP_2019

https://www.boattest.com/review/tide...cc-adventure#1


https://www.outdoorsfirst.com/articl...ct-innovation/
Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,411
Received 745 Likes on 419 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbo View Post
From talking to some friends at BRP they said that the I3 150hp performance is comparable to the Yamaha 150 and maybe a mile an hour or two slower. It won't compare to their V6 G2 in power or performance.
To put some perspective on that - a group test of all the 150hp engines on the market (the Selva is a Yamaha) except of course the new I3 G2 150 (although it's in French the comparison tables are easy enough to understand):


https://www.evinrude.com/content/dam...%20150-200.pdf
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,285
Received 673 Likes on 412 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Clinker;13000473]To put some perspective on that - a group test of all the 150hp engines on the market (the Selva is a Yamaha) except of course the new I3 G2 150 (although it's in French the comparison tables are easy enough to understand):



That list the older Evinrudes from at least 2 years ago and the data is out of date. The 150 HO version is still in the 2020 lineup, though.

The new 115 HO, 140, and 150 HP are G2 3-cylinder models which are super quiet and economical. The 150 HP has the RAVE valve technology on it and is the lightest 150 on the market, only 397# for the basic model.

Last edited by seahorse; 10-08-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Likes:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:31 AM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Thanks for the link seahorse. I was hoping to find some performance bulletins on Evinrude webpage but there don't seem to be any for the I 3 line yet.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,625
Received 567 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

Peak torque, sorted by peak torque regardless of RPM.
Evinrude 150 G2 V6 (2.7L) - 229 lb-ft @ 3500 RPM
Evinrude 150 G1 V6 (2.6L) - 201 lb-ft @ 3250 RPM
Mercury 150 Optimax (2.5L) - 199 lb-ft @ 3500 RPM
Yamaha VF150 SHO (2.8L) - 185 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Suzuki DF150 (2.9L) - 184 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Mercury 150 Four Stroke (3.0L) - 180 lb-ft @ 3000 RPM
Mercury 150 Verado (1.7L SC) - 179 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Yamaha F150 XCA (2.8L) - 178 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Evinrude E-TEC 150 I3 (1.9L) - 171 lb-ft @ 4250 RPM
Yamaha F150 XB (2.7L) - 169 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM.

Seems one way to sum up the I3 150 is......a 150 with carb'd 2-stroke weight but E-TEC G2 fuel efficiency, emissions and user conveniences and 4-stroke like torque.
Likes:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 3,319
Likes: 0
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

I don’t see how 397# is a big win. 14 years ago
the Suzuki 140 was introduced at 416#

[QUOTE=seahorse;13000545]
Originally Posted by Clinker View Post
To put some perspective on that - a group test of all the 150hp engines on the market (the Selva is a Yamaha) except of course the new I3 G2 150 (although it's in French the comparison tables are easy enough to understand):





That list the older Evinrudes from at least 2 years ago and the data is out of date. The 150 HO version is still in the 2020 lineup, though.

The new 115 HO, 140, and 150 HP are G2 3-cylinder models which are super quiet and economical. The 150 HP has the RAVE valve technology on it and is the lightest 150 on the market, only 397# for the basic model.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,625
Received 567 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by redseacraft View Post
I don’t see how 397# is a big win. 14 years ago
the Suzuki 140 was introduced at 416#



Why is it a big win?

More torque, more HP, substantially same weight.

Peak torque output of Suzuki 140 - 122 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM
Peak torque output of Evinrude 150 - 171 lb-ft @ 4250 RPM


Last edited by Whaler27; 10-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Likes:
Old 10-08-2019, 10:29 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 0
Received 143 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Any info on prices?
Old 10-08-2019, 10:42 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,285
Received 673 Likes on 412 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silver01 View Post
Any info on prices?


Dealers have had prices lists for several months now. MSRP does not mean a thing in the outboard world.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:02 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Raleigh/Carolina Beach, NC
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
Dealers have had prices lists for several months now. MSRP does not mean a thing in the outboard world.
I can't find a price online. Everyone requires a call for a quote and I don't feel like going through a phone call just to discuss the price of an outboard I have no intentions in buying right now.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:18 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 1,182
Likes: 0
Received 143 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
Dealers have had prices lists for several months now. MSRP does not mean a thing in the outboard world.
I looked and couldn’t find any prices on the new 3cyl models. I wanted to compare it to other in-line 4 cyl models.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:47 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Cocoa, FL Brevard
Posts: 5,589
Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Should be on every body of water like it's big brother the V6 G2's.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:35 PM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Whaler27 View Post
Peak torque, sorted by peak torque regardless of RPM.
Evinrude 150 G2 V6 (2.7L) - 229 lb-ft @ 3500 RPM
Evinrude 150 G1 V6 (2.6L) - 201 lb-ft @ 3250 RPM
Mercury 150 Optimax (2.5L) - 199 lb-ft @ 3500 RPM
Yamaha VF150 SHO (2.8L) - 185 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Suzuki DF150 (2.9L) - 184 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Mercury 150 Four Stroke (3.0L) - 180 lb-ft @ 3000 RPM
Mercury 150 Verado (1.7L SC) - 179 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Yamaha F150 XCA (2.8L) - 178 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
Evinrude E-TEC 150 I3 (1.9L) - 171 lb-ft @ 4250 RPM
Yamaha F150 XB (2.7L) - 169 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM.

Seems one way to sum up the I3 150 is......a 150 with carb'd 2-stroke weight but E-TEC G2 fuel efficiency, emissions and user conveniences and 4-stroke like torque.
Thank you for the torque specs comparison! Where do you find this info? Very exciting to see torque is equal, if pricing is around the same as a Merc or Suzuki this will likely be my next motors. I would be willing to pay somewhat of a premium considering fly by wire and power steering but not sure how much.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.