Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it ....Mechanical vs DEC Controls

Notices
The Boating Forum
Like Tree13Likes

Is it worth it ....Mechanical vs DEC Controls

Old 10-03-2019, 01:06 AM
  #1  
PSW
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,576
Default Is it worth it ....Mechanical vs DEC Controls

Just picked up a freshwater only Pursuit 2270 CC that is a 2004 with only 147 original hours. The boat came with a factory rigged 3.3L F200. Old school Yamaha 4 stroke. Have not even sea trialed the boat at this point. Went and picked the boat up and had it shrink wrapped and towed it home. Since then has been in my shop for the last few days while I crawl all over getting to know the boat and clean it up. During this time I am already thinking repower which I had already factored in during purchase. I like the idea of DEC but have never operated an outboard powered boat with them. I have palm beach controls on my Cabo that I love but not sure if that is similar to what an outboard would feel like. I have mechanical controls on my tender and it is ok but is typical mechanical feel. Being this is my fun boat and I don't want to dump money into it for no reason I am wondering if I should consider repowering with a mechanical 4.2L Yamaha as the current 704 series binnacle is in great shape as is the original fuel management gauges. I will spend the addtl funds if DEC is worthwhile I just don't have a baseline for reference.

So in a single engine application how big a difference is DEC vs Mechanical and is the addtl cost on repower worthwhile? I know it is tough to answer but there are a lot of guys on this forum that I am sure have run both and will have an opinion.
PSW is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 23
Default Worth It

I repowered this year and got the digital controls on my Evinrude. Totally worth it IMO, always smooth, has some additional features too.

I like not having to worry about the cables having issues or needing adjustment. Although with anything electric it is one more thing you can’t fix when out to sea.

I almost didn’t go with them, but decided to not be pound foolish. With what you spend on an outboard repower what is an extra 5-10% right?
Dubedubed0 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: S. FL then Erie Canal, NY, next NE FL
Posts: 1,724
Default

I think that answer for a small boat is easier with twins; the sync feature is good. IMO, single on a 22', it's not worth the reliability risk, nothing to do with cost.
diver dave is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 06:29 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,154
Default

Originally Posted by PSW View Post
Just picked up a freshwater only Pursuit 2270 CC that is a 2004 with only 147 original hours. The boat came with a factory rigged 3.3L F200. Old school Yamaha 4 stroke. Have not even sea trialed the boat at this point. Went and picked the boat up and had it shrink wrapped and towed it home. Since then has been in my shop for the last few days while I crawl all over getting to know the boat and clean it up. During this time I am already thinking repower which I had already factored in during purchase. I like the idea of DEC but have never operated an outboard powered boat with them. I have palm beach controls on my Cabo that I love but not sure if that is similar to what an outboard would feel like. I have mechanical controls on my tender and it is ok but is typical mechanical feel. Being this is my fun boat and I don't want to dump money into it for no reason I am wondering if I should consider repowering with a mechanical 4.2L Yamaha as the current 704 series binnacle is in great shape as is the original fuel management gauges. I will spend the addtl funds if DEC is worthwhile I just don't have a baseline for reference.

So in a single engine application how big a difference is DEC vs Mechanical and is the addtl cost on repower worthwhile? I know it is tough to answer but there are a lot of guys on this forum that I am sure have run both and will have an opinion.
If you have electronic controls on your Cabo you are going to hate the cable controls on an outboard. I can't imagine going back to cable controls after having my Glendinnings.
WavRidr359 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 AM
  #5  
PSW
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,576
Default

Appreciate the feedback. Have cable on a new F115 and in that size I have only mechanical as an option.
Looking at a F250 Offshore DEC or VF250 SHO mechanical. Overall cost difference is roughly 5 to 6k considering rigging changes needed and motor costs.
On a single engine set up is the driving experience that much better?
PSW is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:05 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: fort lauderdale, fl
Posts: 323
Default

not an expert but I would vote for sticking with the mech 4.2
chester22 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 4,823
Default

I've had both, DEC on a Scout 245 with a Yamaha 250, and mechanical on my current Pioneer with a Yamaha 250. It is absolutely not worth the price at this level, IMHO. My 704 binnacle is very smooth. The only real difference is going in and out of gear, which is of course smoother on the DEC version, but basic operation isn't far enough of an improvement to justify the cost of the upgrade. Also, in some conditions, the sensitivity of the DEC throttle can be more challenging to manage, meaning there are trade-off's with both.

You can buy a hell of a lot of new electronics and other upgrades with that kind of money.
Commocean is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:23 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,318
Default

I've run a Yamaha with digital controls once. It's neat for sure, but I didn't find there to be any advantages to it operationally. Twins, particularly when adding joystick control, I can definitely see it.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:27 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL.
Posts: 10,983
Default

Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
I think that answer for a small boat is easier with twins; the sync feature is good. IMO, single on a 22', it's not worth the reliability risk, nothing to do with cost.

I am not aware of any "on-water" failure of the fly by wire. Certainly, they could be out there without me knowing about it but this is THT and I would have thought if that had happened, it would have been publicized here. My point is that I don't see it as a reliability risk and the upside is huge. Like you, just my opinion.
offshore3144 and mdees88 like this.
JAGSARE1 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:30 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 5,737
Default

Not worth it
How much for that crappy f200?
rocksandblues is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wanchese, NC
Posts: 10,704
Default

Originally Posted by rocksandblues View Post
Not worth it
How much for that crappy f200?
Interesting post? Do you have a F200? I bought a used pair of the Crappy inline F200s over a year ago . Personally I have enjoyed these motors way more than my old 2 smokers. Once you get the propping right there is not much difference. I only lost 1-2 miles a hour difference and a few seconds out of the hole. even those that questioned my repower have been quite surprised how good they are on my hull.
They do have DEC controls and they are night and day better than the old mechanical controls.
offshore3144 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,458
Default

After running both, I would love to do away with the mech controls, but it's not the end of the world.
thefuzz is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:48 AM
  #13  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,528
Default

IF you didn't already have controls and gauges it would be worth going to dec

but since you have the binnacle, gauges etc in good condition it isn't in my opinion

and yes I currently have both yamaha dec and mech engines (multiple)
mdees88 likes this.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:50 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,584
Default

Being in the fiberglass repair business it is to my great advantage every time someone gets electronic controls. Electrical connections and salt water, yeah, no problem......
Fiberglass1 Inc is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:55 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,116
Default

Originally Posted by JAGSARE1 View Post
I am not aware of any "on-water" failure of the fly by wire. Certainly, they could be out there without me knowing about it but this is THT and I would have thought if that had happened, it would have been publicized here. My point is that I don't see it as a reliability risk and the upside is huge. Like you, just my opinion.
One of mine failed at 150 hours. Actuator replaced under warranty
richinct is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 10:52 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,458
Default

Originally Posted by PSW View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Have cable on a new F115 and in that size I have only mechanical as an option.
Looking at a F250 Offshore DEC or VF250 SHO mechanical. Overall cost difference is roughly 5 to 6k considering rigging changes needed and motor costs.
On a single engine set up is the driving experience that much better?
Go with the SHO and don't look back. It has the torque of the F300 with a little less top end. If you are concerned at all about the SHO (really no need to be) you can get a mechanical F250.

I've heard of people accidentally bumping the throttle on a DEC and dropping people in the water. The mech has enough resistance that will not happen.
davepjr71 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 11:01 AM
  #17  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,528
Default

Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
Go with the SHO and don't look back. It has the torque of the F300 with a little less top end. If you are concerned at all about the SHO (really no need to be) you can get a mechanical F250.

I've heard of people accidentally bumping the throttle on a DEC and dropping people in the water. The mech has enough resistance that will not happen.
I'm not so sure about that.

I was running a charter out of venice, la and we were snapper fishing next to a rig. Guy went to get his camera, slipped and slammed both engines (mech control) full throttle forward and we hit the rig
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM
  #18  
PSW
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,576
Default

I can pick up a VF250XA SHO for $15,750
The Offshore 250XCA is $21,750
I will be selling controls with existing motor. Cost difference in rigging is another $1k.
Not sure $7k is worth the smooth in and out of gear the fly by wire provides. I also think the SHO motor looks bad ass and will be a good time on a 2270 Pursuit.


GWcpa and thefuzz like this.
PSW is offline  
Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,115
Default

Hard to put a dollar value to it. I had a 4.2L F250 with electronic throttle; given a choice I would never go back to mechanical throttles.
andosan is online now  
Old 10-03-2019, 11:50 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 5,190
Default

Digital throttle and shift is excellent. I'd do it again if I had the chance.

12 seasons with the Verado fly by wire DTS and even power steering and all has been well.
thundra is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread