Notices
The Boating Forum

2001 Yamaha 200 HPDI dies at idle

Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 Yamaha 200 HPDI dies at idle

I have twin Yamaha 200 HPDI engines and after trolling for about two hours, the port engine dies when put into idle. The engine will crank and run if you immediately put it into gear and throttle up, but it sounds ‘off’ like it’s under heavy load or something. It also won’t rev to the same rpm level as the stbd engine at the same position. The engines have over 500 hours, and are from 2001. I just got the boat 6 months ago so I don’t have much other history.

Any my help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:42 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,739
Received 998 Likes on 546 Posts
Default

I had a similar issue a while back.
Turns out it was sucking air at the Racor filter housing.
The powder coating was compromised and when I unscrewed the filter, the powder coating came off stuck to the rubber gasket.
It was sucking air between the coating and the corroded housing/bracket.
I replaced both my Racor coated housings with MarPac stainless housings.

Check the low pressure fuel pumps.
You'll have to unbolt the VST to get to them.
Unbolt the pumps and pump the primmer bulb while checking for leaks on the backside of the pumps.

Another thing to check is the fuel filter, (clear plastic), under the cowl.
Check for leaks and air.
BTW, the plastic bowl will swell from gas and when you remove it, you may have to put it in the freezer to shrink it or you might not be able to get it to seat/seal.


Do you have the YDS software and cable?

Last edited by roozter; 09-15-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Likes:
Old 09-15-2019, 03:24 PM
  #3  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,228
Received 790 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

I like Roozter's answer. But you should get the YDS software and cable. Another thing about HPDI's is they will foul plugs, especially if they aren't oiling properly at trolling speed. You should check the plugs.

Be aware that HPDI's only idle on 4 cylinders, so if you have a fouled plug or two it's going to be MUCH more noticeable.
Likes:
Old 09-15-2019, 04:03 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,739
Received 998 Likes on 546 Posts
Default

The YDS software is an invaluable tool.
Likes:
Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roozter View Post
I had a similar issue a while back.
Turns out it was sucking air at the Racor filter housing.
The powder coating was compromised and when I unscrewed the filter, the powder coating came off stuck to the rubber gasket.
It was sucking air between the coating and the corroded housing/bracket.
I replaced both my Racor coated housings with MarPac stainless housings.

Check the low pressure fuel pumps.
You'll have to unbolt the VST to get to them.
Unbolt the pumps and pump the primmer bulb while checking for leaks on the backside of the pumps.

Another thing to check is the fuel filter, (clear plastic), under the cowl.
Check for leaks and air.
BTW, the plastic bowl will swell from gas and when you remove it, you may have to put it in the freezer to shrink it or you might not be able to get it to seat/seal.


Do you have the YDS software and cable?

Where’s the best place to get the YDS software and cable?

Thank you!
Old 09-15-2019, 04:27 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I’m trying to learn about this engine, but there seems to be limited information online. Is there a better repair manual than the ones they sell at west marine?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:50 PM
  #7  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,228
Received 790 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

You can buy the YDS software on eBay for about $58 last time I checked. I have a Yamaha Service Manual for the Z200Y on my desk. It's invaluable. It must be available online somewhere. I did find the PDF version here although I don't know if it's the same as my original.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/91...aha-Z200y.html
Old 09-15-2019, 06:04 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roozter View Post
I had a similar issue a while back.
Turns out it was sucking air at the Racor filter housing.
The powder coating was compromised and when I unscrewed the filter, the powder coating came off stuck to the rubber gasket.
It was sucking air between the coating and the corroded housing/bracket.
I replaced both my Racor coated housings with MarPac stainless housings.

Check the low pressure fuel pumps.
You'll have to unbolt the VST to get to them.
Unbolt the pumps and pump the primmer bulb while checking for leaks on the backside of the pumps.

Another thing to check is the fuel filter, (clear plastic), under the cowl.
Check for leaks and air.
BTW, the plastic bowl will swell from gas and when you remove it, you may have to put it in the freezer to shrink it or you might not be able to get it to seat/seal.


Do you have the YDS software and cable?
I'd start eith checking simple things. Hpdi's are intolerant of fuel restrictions and have issues with plug fouling. Start with replacing the water separating filter, clean or replace your plugs.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jimcdawson View Post
I have twin Yamaha 200 HPDI engines and after trolling for about two hours, the port engine dies when put into idle. The engine will crank and run if you immediately put it into gear and throttle up, but it sounds ‘off’ like it’s under heavy load or something. It also won’t rev to the same rpm level as the stbd engine at the same position. The engines have over 500 hours, and are from 2001. I just got the boat 6 months ago so I don’t have much other history.

Any my help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
What boat?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:06 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

A 2001 Grady white 263 chase
Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

10-4
I thought it might be my old boat that I traded in about six months ago. It was a 2001 Century 2600 with twin HPDI 200s with 400 + hours.
Likes:
Old 09-19-2019, 04:31 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

So I have the YDS 1.33 diagnostic, but I’m not sure how to use it when the engine won’t run in idle.

When I ran the static test, there seemed to be no codes. The only diagnosis was from 300 hours prior.

Also, the port engine connector had plastic prongs that prevented the cable from attaching, so I had to make jumper wires.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:42 PM
  #13  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,228
Received 790 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

You sure you found the right connector? It's got a plastic cover that needs to be removed.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KBH View Post
You sure you found the right connector? It's got a plastic cover that needs to be removed.
I’m pretty sure. I found the one on the stbd engine, and it has a cap. The same looking cable in the same spot with a three pin connector.

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-19-2019, 04:53 PM
  #15  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,228
Received 790 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

Check this thread out and see if you think it might apply. This sensor may be keeping it from running on all cylinders although I would think it would still idle on 4 cylinders with clean plugs.

250 HPDI--Max RPM 3500 ---Problem resolved
Old 09-19-2019, 05:47 PM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

That’s a good thread and I’ll try to test the shift switch before just replacing it, if that is possible.

Mine dies in idle though, so I’m not sure it’s the same issue.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 AM
  #17  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have an update.
I changed the spark plugs and the old ones were really fouled looking.

The engine runs with the new plugs. Everything seems to be within range when testing using the YDS.

I don’t have any details on when they were last changed, but what makes the spark plugs foul?

thank you!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:59 AM
  #18  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,228
Received 790 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

Excessive idling, over oiling, running rich, old age, bad compression, bad spark or any combination of those. HPDI's are hard on plugs, especially if you do a lot of low speed trolling.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:23 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 95
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Thought it was something simple. With my 200 hpdi I used ringfree regularly but as I learned the plug fouling was caused by a black soot. I used yamalube and some say that's were the soot is coming from. Some people have switched to a synthetic oil and report it solved the plug fouling. I never did. I just cleaned the plugs regularly.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:57 PM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KBH View Post
Excessive idling, over oiling, running rich, old age, bad compression, bad spark or any combination of those. HPDI's are hard on plugs, especially if you do a lot of low speed trolling.
Anything that can help? Alternating engine speed?
Thank you for your help

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.