Notices
The Boating Forum

Mercury Optimax 225 water pump

Old 09-13-2019, 04:19 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 51
Default Mercury Optimax 225 water pump

I have a Mercury Optimax DFI 225. I think the year is 2000. When I first start the motor cold, it takes about 10-15 seconds for the water to pump out. It then pumps very strong. Is it normal for this Optimax?
Thanks for any inputs.
stevechumo is offline  
Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,846
Default

3 liter is a big motor, takes awhile to fill
bigjimmie is offline  
Old 09-13-2019, 05:05 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 280
Default

Normal. Have twins and does the same
03Scarab29 is offline  
Old 09-14-2019, 01:03 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks for your answers. I replaced the water pump kit last year, and I only used it 5 times. I go from 20-60 miles out to the ocean, so I'm just concerned of its behavior. But your answers give me more confidence, and I can focus more on fishing.
I have another question regarding to the gear oil. Today, I drained the old oil and put in new oil. It took about 1 quartz for the new oil to go out to the hole above. Is that correct?
stevechumo is offline  
Old 09-14-2019, 05:21 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 280
Default

Originally Posted by stevechumo View Post
Thanks for your answers. I replaced the water pump kit last year, and I only used it 5 times. I go from 20-60 miles out to the ocean, so I'm just concerned of its behavior. But your answers give me more confidence, and I can focus more on fishing.
I have another question regarding to the gear oil. Today, I drained the old oil and put in new oil. It took about 1 quartz for the new oil to go out to the hole above. Is that correct?
yes sounds about right. Wait til it settles and go in again the next day and see if you can top her off. Always replace the seals around the two screws also. I like to check the oil after the first use when I change the oil to ensure level is good and no water.
03Scarab29 is offline  
Old 09-14-2019, 06:12 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,541
Default

My 135 Opti was similar. Always praying that stream would start.
magua is offline  
Old 09-14-2019, 02:57 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 51
Default

Originally Posted by 03Scarab29 View Post


yes sounds about right. Wait til it settles and go in again the next day and see if you can top her off. Always replace the seals around the two screws also. I like to check the oil after the first use when I change the oil to ensure level is good and no water.
I replaced the washers and the screws, too. They're cheap on Amazon. I think they're worth the cheap investment.
stevechumo is offline  
Old 09-14-2019, 07:46 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oceanville ,Atlantic county NJ
Posts: 385
Default

my 2015 Optimax 200 takes a while to show water from the tell tail also...and it still pisses for some time after I shut it down

Joe R
21 SeaCraft
Susie 2
Joe R. is offline  
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 51
Default

Originally Posted by magua View Post
My 135 Opti was similar. Always praying that stream would start.
Lol. That's funny, but it's true to me.
stevechumo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread