Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Next boat purchase: Everglades 335cc or Regulator 31

Notices
The Boating Forum

Next boat purchase: Everglades 335cc or Regulator 31

Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SWFL
Posts: 122
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Next boat purchase: Everglades 335cc or Regulator 31

I currently have an Everglades 273cc and am looking at possibly moving up to a 33'-35' boat. I love my Everglades and have brand and dealer loyalty.

I looked at the Regulator 31 and 34 the other day and was definitely intrigued. The new 2020 model with the enclosed console look fantastic.
I am really looking at 4 boats, two are realistic (the Everglades 335cc and the Regulator 31) and two are a stretch price wise (the Everglades 355cc and the Regulator 34).

They are both great brands and all four boats are amazing. I know that this forum tends to swing Regulator, but what are your opinions?

https://www.regulatormarine.com/offs...oat-models/31/

335 Center Console | Everglades Boats
Old 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 974
Received 504 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

I don't know Everglades well but a friend sold his 37 or 38 Everglades saying everything kept breaking. He went back to a 36 Contender.

I know Regulator quite well. The 31 is a great boat but is not the fastest or most efficient. The ride will be great though. The 34 with trip 300s is a faster boat with a cruise about 10mph better than the 31. I bought a 28 Regulator. While I'd like the space of the 31, I didnt like the slower speed and the 34 was beyond my budget. All great boats though.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:56 AM
  #3  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 119
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
I don't know Everglades well but a friend sold his 37 or 38 Everglades saying everything kept breaking. He went back to a 36 Contender.

I know Regulator quite well. The 31 is a great boat but is not the fastest or most efficient. The ride will be great though. The 34 with trip 300s is a faster boat with a cruise about 10mph better than the 31. I bought a 28 Regulator. While I'd like the space of the 31, I didnt like the slower speed and the 34 was beyond my budget. All great boats though.
I've heard the same. Personally the look of the Reg is wayyyyyyy sexier.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 788
Received 411 Likes on 192 Posts
Default

Instead of wishing you had bought the 34 and then trading up in another couple of years I say go for it now if its in your reach. I think they both make a great boat but the regulator fits my style better.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:08 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SWFL
Posts: 122
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kwipp View Post
Instead of wishing you had bought the 34 and then trading up in another couple of years I say go for it now if its in your reach. I think they both make a great boat but the regulator fits my style better.
Hear ya there, but the one I just looked at was $550K as it sat...
Old 08-26-2019, 09:15 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 788
Received 411 Likes on 192 Posts
Default

What was the 31 listed at?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:09 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 974
Received 504 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by garagetechnik View Post
Hear ya there, but the one I just looked at was $550K as it sat...
You should be able to knock that down significantly if that's the MSRP. Shoot for 15-18% off that sticker. However, there are many used 2014-2016 34SS boats out there that can be had in the mid-200s with twin 350s. Factor in a repower with triple 300s and you're still well below a new boat price. These hulls will last a lifetime.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:10 AM
  #8  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 119
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by garagetechnik View Post
Hear ya there, but the one I just looked at was $550K as it sat...
Wow!!!!
Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Keller Texas
Posts: 306
Received 176 Likes on 80 Posts
Default

31 Regulator with a bracket is probably going to have close to the same space of an Everglades 335. And yes I agree, it's sexier.
I'm not a fan of the Euro-transoms. The bracket improves the lines and gives it a cleaner look.
I think it also improves the comfort for rear seating.
If you bring that Regulator around where I fish people will be asking you for your autograph. :-)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM
  #10  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 119
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

https://www.sealistings.com/listings/71156

Pricey but sexy haha
Old 08-26-2019, 10:23 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SWFL
Posts: 122
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kwipp View Post
What was the 31 listed at?
In the low $400's.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

The 34' reg NEEDS the triple 300s.

Not sure why they even offered the twins.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 1,571
Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

I just emailed Regulator to see if they offer the 34 with Twin F425s and if so could they provide a performance report. I'll let you know.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:35 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

TL:DR - Update on OP purchase of 335 vs. Reg 31 and thoughts/updates..... Questions regarding hull design and 425 weight/power and handling.

Hi Everyone, new to forum. Wanted to hear from OP the update on the decision made between the everglades and regulator. Currently looking between the Regulator 31 with 425's and the Everglades 335 with 425's. I've done a lot of forum reading, video watching, and looking up specs for various boats and am looking for feedback from people on what they think and where I might be wrong.

My questions/thoughts:
  • First is the noticeable difference is the bow design:
    • Everglades: Reverse Chine - Every video I've seen with this design has boat slapping the surface of the water, and I'm concerned this will lead to future maintenance problems. Additionally, I'm not sure how dry the ride will be... the thought would be the spray being ejected downwards, but any water that makes it past the chine will come up into the boat....thoughts? perhaps this hull design is better for speed?
    • Regulator: Carolina Flare - Seems to be the better design with smooth surface entry with gradual/increasing buoyancy the deeper the bow goes. Ejects water laterally and away from the boat, but cross winds might cause some spray. seems to plow through the wave rather than over it.
  • Yamaha 425 weight and concern:
    • I can't seem to find out if Regulator adjusted anything on their 2021 31's to compensate for the added weight of the 425's. Will this cause the boat to porpoise since there's more weight and power, but no change in center of gravity of the helm.

Thank you in advance for any help/insight you can provide!

JP
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SWFL
Posts: 122
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jpp993 View Post
TL:DR - Update on OP purchase of 335 vs. Reg 31 and thoughts/updates..... Questions regarding hull design and 425 weight/power and handling.

Hi Everyone, new to forum. Wanted to hear from OP the update on the decision made between the everglades and regulator. Currently looking between the Regulator 31 with 425's and the Everglades 335 with 425's. I've done a lot of forum reading, video watching, and looking up specs for various boats and am looking for feedback from people on what they think and where I might be wrong.

My questions/thoughts:
  • First is the noticeable difference is the bow design:
    • Everglades: Reverse Chine - Every video I've seen with this design has boat slapping the surface of the water, and I'm concerned this will lead to future maintenance problems. Additionally, I'm not sure how dry the ride will be... the thought would be the spray being ejected downwards, but any water that makes it past the chine will come up into the boat....thoughts? perhaps this hull design is better for speed?
    • Regulator: Carolina Flare - Seems to be the better design with smooth surface entry with gradual/increasing buoyancy the deeper the bow goes. Ejects water laterally and away from the boat, but cross winds might cause some spray. seems to plow through the wave rather than over it.
  • Yamaha 425 weight and concern:
    • I can't seem to find out if Regulator adjusted anything on their 2021 31's to compensate for the added weight of the 425's. Will this cause the boat to porpoise since there's more weight and power, but no change in center of gravity of the helm.

Thank you in advance for any help/insight you can provide!

JP
Hey there. OP Here.

Couple hundred hours on the Everglades 335 this season. Multiple multi-day trips down to the keys fishing. Weekly family sandbar trips, etc.

I could not be happier with my purchase. To me the boat is a phenomenal mix of fishing functionality and comfortable family cruising. I cannot tell you how many compliments I get on the ride of the boat from friends with other makes. It is heavy and solid and has no issues in rough conditions.

To answer your question. I am no expert on reverse chine vs. flare. I can say, the ride on my boat is not wet. Seems to me that the stray is being thrown down and it takes some serious seas and wind to start getting spray on the boat. Made a mistake and crossed from Key West back to Naples once in 7'-10'... We got wet that time...

The more I have crawled around on the various Regulators, the happier I am with my purchase. The 31' Reg feels smaller than my boat, even though the specifications suggest a similar size. The 34' Reg... That's another story.

Regarding engines, I didn't opt for the 425's. Couple reasons, they were so new to market I was nervous. Sea trialed a boat with them and got 4 MPH more at full throttle and they added just over $100K to the price tag . I have twin 300's on mine. It gets on plane quickly, has great maneuverability and cruises around 38 MPH with a top speed around 45. It's no speed daemon, but neither is the Regulator. I made the decision to have a more comfortable ride than a boat that can to 60+ MPH. To be honest, unless it is absolute glass anything over 50 MPH is rough on everyone anyway.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

OP Awesome and thanks for the quick reply! Was there anything you were nervous about when purchasing the boat that was alleviated after spending several hours on sea? Anything aftermarket/custom you added? I agree with you on the 425's... for $100k you'd expect massive improvement and most often your on choppy conditions; again off shore fishing, not bay cruising.

Any must have options or options you wish you purchased with the boat? Options you could go without? One of the biggest downsides to the Everglades is no rear facing seats like the mezzanine seating on the Regulator; one of their biggest selling points. Only other boats that have this are Pursuit and Boston Whaler.

- JP
Old 10-22-2020, 12:36 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: SWFL
Posts: 122
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jpp993 View Post
OP Awesome and thanks for the quick reply! Was there anything you were nervous about when purchasing the boat that was alleviated after spending several hours on sea? Anything aftermarket/custom you added? I agree with you on the 425's... for $100k you'd expect massive improvement and most often your on choppy conditions; again off shore fishing, not bay cruising.

Any must have options or options you wish you purchased with the boat? Options you could go without? One of the biggest downsides to the Everglades is no rear facing seats like the mezzanine seating on the Regulator; one of their biggest selling points. Only other boats that have this are Pursuit and Boston Whaler.

- JP
Electronics wise, I made sure to add autopilot. I am about to add radar... I went with the standard Taco outriggers (I think they partner with Everglades) and I would like to swap them for Gemlux. Everything else is basically as it came. It really is a well thought out design.

Funny you mention the rear seat. I view the 'fish station' as a positive and prefer that to the rear facing seat. All personal preference, but when we are fishing, our most used tackle is put there. If we are trolling you can sit there or on a cooler that is usually right under it. When we are at dock hanging or cooking, having the sink and station is great. Again, few of my buds with the rear facing seat really like my 'fish station.'

One other thing I didn't pick up on initially, but have now. There is a lot more room in the rear of my boat vs. some similar boats, for example the Whaler Outrage 330. The Whaler has more room in the bow, but I have more room stern which for fishing is great.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:25 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 869
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts
Default

Im running an Everglades 350 CC and although different than the model youre looking at it does have the reverse chine and is very dry. Boat is an absolute tank and rides like a dream. I have no intentions of selling the boat handles amazing and Ive been very happy with Everglades as a company for service.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:55 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Garagetechnik – The rear seat was an ask from a family member that plans to use it as a lounge seat on trips out to fishing grounds, but might not be a necessity. The idea if we went with the regulator was to build a custom support bracket that would allow us to attach a table above the seats, and add additional rod holders…. Imagine adding the 41ft support to the 31 T-top… see attached picture of a drawing I made. I haven’t yet been on the everglades, so I’m eager to see the size. I’ve been on the regulator, scout, and outrage and thought they had decent room!



Lucky777 – Good to know, I’ve been curious on the flare vs. reverse chines. I’ve seen one too many Haulover Inlet videos of boats stuffing the bow (very rarely see everglades though) and the Carolina flared boats seem to perform well in short period swells.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:46 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 869
Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jpp993 View Post
Lucky777 Good to know, Ive been curious on the flare vs. reverse chines. Ive seen one too many Haulover Inlet videos of boats stuffing the bow (very rarely see everglades though) and the Carolina flared boats seem to perform well in short period swells.
I fish the boat out of NJ, and although I do try and pick my days there have been times when the weather man has been wrong and weve gotten caught in not so nice weather in the North Atlantic.

The day I brought her home they were calling for > 2 @ 8 seconds. When we pulled into Stone Harbor that morning the flags were straight and I knew it was going to be sporty. We loaded up, and made our way North through the ICW. Once we got to the inlet, it was actually much worse than I thought, and I considered turning around. My good friend who took the trip with me is a very seasoned captain assured me that we would be fine to make the 80 + mile
run home. It was one of the best choices I could have made because I learned so much how the bot handles in inclement weather. I dont believe in beating up myself, boat, or my gear and we were able to comfortably cruise 22-26 knots in a very nasty NE head sea without one drop of water reaching us.

This summer I was headed back from the tuna grounds, we fished an afternoon bite chunking. We boated the last fish around 4:30 and began cleaning up for the 75 mile trek home. As I hit the GPS waypoint to home and the autopilot engaged swinging the bow into the seas I knew we had made a mistake. The wind was blowing, and the seas were picking up. I knew we were going to be burning daylight, and had planned to be about 10-20 miles from the beach by dusk. Well, we took an almost no interval chop the entire ride home that turned into a 6+ hour trip home (a normal 2.5 hour ride). We were wet, tired, and not too happy by the time I put her on the lift. Never once did I question the integrity of the boat and there were some very very scary moments.

Im currently looking to get into a sportfish, however we love the EG so much were going to keep it in addition to the new boat. Feel free to PM me and good luck in your search.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.