Notices
The Boating Forum

BIL overdue out of Port Canaveral

Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 PM
  #2881  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,009
Received 135 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Stark reminder

Iím speachless with this whole tragedy. I hope so much they are recovered and saved. God be with them and your family.

This example is such a grave reminder why we must possess and have our safety gear in operating condition anytime we leave shore beyond cell communication. No day offshore should ever be taken for granted.

Please , god bless these families .
mgrandu1 is offline  
Likes:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:52 PM
  #2882  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,306
Received 326 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mz06907 View Post


This is where I am. I still believe.
Ditto


MilesExpress is offline  
Likes:
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 PM
  #2883  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ayaz Beach
Posts: 1,267
Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

Prayers and condolences to the families.
Truly tragic and utterly heartbreaking.
I am sorry.
PeteH is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 02:23 AM
  #2884  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOBX
Posts: 620
Received 1,057 Likes on 348 Posts
Default

MODS: Please purge this thread of any posts that would be hurtful to the families, especially the children, who are likely to find the thread by a simple Google search of the names of the men who were lost.

Thank you to all who were involved in and supported the search. Prayers for the families of the men who were lost.

DrDanH is online now  
Old 08-23-2019, 03:32 AM
  #2885  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 716
Received 82 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by r.waddill View Post
Mike drop!
please don't drop Mike...
aplusmiami is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 03:38 AM
  #2886  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,042
Received 261 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MUHSFINK07 View Post


i donít want to sound callous but if the most advanced superpower in the world hyper focused on finding drug runners and illegal boats running into the US TRYING to evade identification hasnít been able to find much more than a bag at this point I would be resigned to accept the fact that they are gone. Condolences to the familyís involved. I hope that they went quickly. Of course if I am wrong I will be the first to eat my words.
I agree. As difficult as it is to say it, with that kind of manpower, the men or more evidence wouldíve been found over the course of the search. Very sad.
swaptrex is online now  
Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 AM
  #2887  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: On the Ocean
Posts: 3,495
Received 1,496 Likes on 737 Posts
Default

Bullrun I'd like to respectfully ask two questions.
1. Did the boat have a VHF radio? I heard it had been removed in preparation for the sale.
2. Were there any life jackets on board?
I know these questions will be answered in the FWC investigation but I guess I'm struggling with this loss and still wondering if these guys are out there somewhere.
tarpononecharter is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 03:54 AM
  #2888  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,603
Received 821 Likes on 441 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tarpononecharter View Post
Bullrun I'd like to respectfully ask two questions.
1. Did the boat have a VHF radio? I heard it had been removed in preparation for the sale.
2. Were there any life jackets on board?
I know these questions will be answered in the FWC investigation but I guess I'm struggling with this loss and still wondering if these guys are out there somewhere.
one of the CG conferences said
1. No vhf
2. Unknown whether the live jackets were on board or not

bullrun said there was a working vhf installed.

praying for a miracle here.

Last edited by mwgoldman; 08-23-2019 at 03:59 AM.
mwgoldman is online now  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 AM
  #2889  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 110
Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Not sure if any of you followed this story in Texas as it was unfolding but there were 3 boaters missing in 2009 that survived 9-10 days or so on junk food. I think the search was called off then a recreational fishing boat found them. How incredible would that be if something similar happened here. The thread is an interesting read as it unfolded.

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor...d.php?t=228473

fmetz
fmetz is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:16 AM
  #2890  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,240
Received 1,904 Likes on 565 Posts
Default

My partner was lost at sea in 1984 and I never gave up hope. For many years I searched the face of every girl that resembled her. I eventually moved on as I knew she would want that for me. The pain is suffered by the living. My brother in law had a flat line for a couple minutes in a surgery and I had a shallow water blackout, pulled from the bottom of a pool and resuscitated. We both experienced an incredible peace from the light above and thereafter never feared death.
Otseg is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:18 AM
  #2891  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,387
Likes: 0
Received 1,642 Likes on 964 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fmetz View Post
Not sure if any of you followed this story in Texas as it was unfolding but there were 3 boaters missing in 2009 that survived 9-10 days or so on junk food. I think the search was called off then a recreational fishing boat found them. How incredible would that be if something similar happened here. The thread is an interesting read as it unfolded.

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor...d.php?t=228473

fmetz
I know a guy that was headed offshore before daylight years ago on a commercial trip, saw a flair, and ended up rescuing some people that had been adrift in the northern gulf for like 10 days.
raystein is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:22 AM
  #2892  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 6,602
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Default

Hoping for a miracle. Praying for your family and for those out still searching.
davidwademarine is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:31 AM
  #2893  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jupiter/ Tequesta Fl.
Posts: 706
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

I can tell you that everyone living in the Jupiter Fl community is and has been praying and continues to do so for these guys and the families. Heart wrenching as by standers. Really really tough.
Islandia is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 AM
  #2894  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 125 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

As a glimmer of hope, I'll offer this. I am retired USCG 29yr3mos. My time was done running SAR missions and LE. The latter half of my career was spent managing and leading those who ran SAR missions and LE. My first 'real' SAR case involved a vessel found overturned and anchored, no report of overdue, no radio call, nothing but a passerby who asked "what's up with the boat out at -------------, been there three days?" It was around 1990, summer. I found the boat, 36 miles offshore, upside down and anchored on shoals. No debris, nothing but what was connected to the boat. I conducted an immediate sector search with no results. While the landside SAR coordinator was working up a probable location for the next search, I started a parallel search pattern based on my own observation of set/drift and found one person clinging to a cooler lid on the second leg of my search. The second person was found by a fishing vessel a few miles away almost at the same time. He was treading water.

Both stated they had been almost run over by boats during that three day ordeal, but no one saw them. Imagine looking for a 'brown head of cabbage' floating on the water, that's what we're looking for. They lasted three days, and in fairly decent shape short of exhaustion and dehydration. So, long story short, with a few bottles of water and a snack...something to cling to...and it's still possible.
ParatusMS is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:14 AM
  #2895  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,238
Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Thoughts and prayers to all family members during this tragic situation. I am still holding out hope that they will be located in the next few days and have some great stories to tell.

Been praying for a week and will continue to do so.
KingRanch is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:16 AM
  #2896  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,387
Likes: 0
Received 1,642 Likes on 964 Posts
Default

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

They are having a benefit dinner at fire station 32 in jax, 8140 lenox Avenue, saturday from 3 to 6, $20 chicken dinners.
raystein is offline  
Likes:
Old 08-23-2019, 05:30 AM
  #2897  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 88
Received 133 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

All hope is not lost, the sea is a massive piece of real estate that seldom plays by the rules and rarely does as we predict. The CG May have suspended the rescue effort but the search has not ended. Every boater from VA to the keys will by this point be keeping a lookout. The three warships will be out for a couple more weeks with there amphibious crafts marking runs in on and off shore.
These guys are not helpless or hopeless individuals, by trade they are tacticians and problem solvers but more importantly survivors. If anyone can put a plan for success in a stressful situation together it is these to.
I am not offering my condolences or sympathies for the families loss. Not yet I will offer my support and prayers, and my prayers for strength in this difficult time.

Now is not the time to give up hope, donít give up on these young men just yet the sea is tireless and rough but she also is a provider and I have hope she will return our lost brothers, and look forward to the tale they have to tell.

Bull if there is anything I can do please donít hesitate to reach out. Douglasemcqueen@gmail.com
USN_FCCS is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:52 AM
  #2898  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 863
Likes: 0
Received 125 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by USN_FCCS View Post
All hope is not lost, the sea is a massive piece of real estate that seldom plays by the rules and rarely does as we predict. The CG May have suspended the rescue effort but the search has not ended. Every boater from VA to the keys will by this point be keeping a lookout. The three warships will be out for a couple more weeks with there amphibious crafts marking runs in on and off shore.
These guys are not helpless or hopeless individuals, by trade they are tacticians and problem solvers but more importantly survivors. If anyone can put a plan for success in a stressful situation together it is these to.
I am not offering my condolences or sympathies for the families loss. Not yet I will offer my support and prayers, and my prayers for strength in this difficult time.

Now is not the time to give up hope, donít give up on these young men just yet the sea is tireless and rough but she also is a provider and I have hope she will return our lost brothers, and look forward to the tale they have to tell.

Bull if there is anything I can do please donít hesitate to reach out. Douglasemcqueen@gmail.com
I have a feeling you would be an awesome guy to fish with, Mr McQueen
mz06907 is offline  
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 AM
  #2899  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN / Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 637
Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post


not to be nit picky, but could your wife give the authorities your HIN?
Yeah, why wouldn't she be able to? The numbers are right on all the state registrations and USCG documentation, which she has copies of all.
PremierPOWER is offline  
Likes:
Old 08-23-2019, 06:28 AM
  #2900  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,612
Received 2,712 Likes on 1,684 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
not to be nit picky, but could your wife give the authorities your HIN?
As other stated, just looking up the numbers in the state registration records would give up the HIN. Also, it would have info on any previous owners who might know more about the capabilities and history of that specific hull at the time they owned it.

Originally Posted by USN_FCCS View Post
.....The three warships will be out for a couple more weeks with there amphibious crafts marking runs in on and off shore. ...
What an excellent opportunity to use as a training tool for crew to keep them focused, and practice skills launching and retrieving ships, navigation, spotting, etc. I know it's not their current mission, but they can take advantage of the opportunity knowing they are in the area, with the potential for making a huge difference.
km1125 is offline  
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.