Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Can mechanics not certified for a particular brand perform warranty work? (Volvo)

Notices
Like Tree14Likes

Can mechanics not certified for a particular brand perform warranty work? (Volvo)

Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,935
Default Can mechanics not certified for a particular brand perform warranty work? (Volvo)

Curious on a couple things...

Generally, can a mechanic that is not certified for a particular brand do warranty work? For example, can a non-Volvo tech perform Volvo warranty work?

What I am trying to figure out is if there is a yard that had a Volvo tech but there is also a non-Volvo tech employed, can the non-Volvo employee do warranty work on Volvos? Does Volvo require anyone doing any sort of warranty work to undergo Volvo training and become certified in Volvo specifically?

Thanks!
mystery is online now  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:31 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,889
Default

It is generally the dealer who is authorised to perform warranty repairs on behalf of a company. The dealer can use whomever he chooses to actually perform the repair. Could be a certified mechanic or could be Joe new hire wannabe be mechanic who is far far from being certified.

Actually there are many non certified mechanics that have more expertise than a certified mechanic.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 5,619
Default

In a nutshell,no.They can perform work that will qualify as required maintenance to keep the warranty in effect,but warranty work needs to go through a dealer with a certified mechanic.
muskamoot is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:17 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eh?
Posts: 1,472
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
It is generally the dealer who is authorised to perform warranty repairs on behalf of a company. The dealer can use whomever he chooses to actually perform the repair. Could be a certified mechanic or could be Joe new hire wannabe be mechanic who is far far from being certified.

Actually there are many non certified mechanics that have more expertise than a certified mechanic.
^^^^This^^^^^

Originally Posted by muskamoot View Post
In a nutshell,no.They can perform work that will qualify as required maintenance to keep the warranty in effect,but warranty work needs to go through a dealer with a certified mechanic.
^^^^^^Not this^^^^^.
The Dealer must be certified, not necessarily the mechanic.

47Fountain likes this.
Blazer7420 is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:20 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 138
Default

as long as it is a factory authorized repair shop it is covered
47Fountain likes this.
backbayguy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:32 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Atlanta/Destin
Posts: 490
Default

I’m speaking of Ford, no idea about Volvo, the only exception they would ever do on warranty work would be an emergency repair needed on the car with no dealer available to help. This was always a case by case decision and very seldom even came up. The quick answer is probably no.
N747JB is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 7,002
Default

If you are talking about a free-lance mechanic, chances are he knows he would not be paid for his labor and reimbursed for any parts purchased to perform a warranty covered repair. Warranty service is almost always handled through an authorized dealer for the engine.

In certain situations or conditions, a manufacturer may enlist a reputable local mechanic, if needed and there is no dealer service available, but that is rare occurrence and has to approved and organized in advance..
alloyboy and N747JB like this.
seahorse is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,889
Default

Originally Posted by muskamoot View Post
In a nutshell,no.They can perform work that will qualify as required maintenance to keep the warranty in effect,but warranty work needs to go through a dealer with a certified mechanic.
Are you speaking for Volvo dealers specifically or are you speaking in general terms?

If you are speaking for Volvo dealers, is this set forth in the Volvo/Volvo Dealer agreement? Does the agreement address a mechanic in training working under the guidance of a Volvo certified mechanic as being acceptable?

If there is one and only one certified mechanic working at the dealer, and the certified mechanic quits, does all warranty work in process come to a halt? Does the dealer then stop accepting warranty covered repairs? Until he can find a new certified Volvo mechanic?

Does Volvo ride herd over its dealers to make sure that all is on the up and up?
alloyboy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:40 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,889
Default

Speaking of certification, let's look at what it might mean.

Paul mechanic has worked on Volvo motors for 30 years. All types and models. In the military. Just retired. He is not certified to work on Volvo motors by Volvo.

Charley mechanic works for a Volvo dealer. Has been there for a year. His first job. Charley went to the Volvo school house, got some training. And his pedigree. His certificate is on the wall.

Who would you rather have work on your Volvo motor? Plain Paul or Certified Charley?
alloyboy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,754
Default

Dealers do not send every mechanic to get certified nor do they restrict them to warranty work.
lets say a sensor goes bad, I’m sure any mechanic in the place , likely the most basic mechanic employed , would be dispatched to swap it out while the more expierenced guys handle more important or difficult operations .
the buck stops at the dealer.

have a non Volvo shop trying to do warranty they may have to get pre approval or may flat out be denied reimbursement as a way to protect the product Volvo warranties as well as their dealer network
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,460
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
Dealers do not send every mechanic to get certified nor do they restrict them to warranty work.
lets say a sensor goes bad, I’m sure any mechanic in the place , likely the most basic mechanic employed , would be dispatched to swap it out while the more expierenced guys handle more important or difficult operations .
the buck stops at the dealer.

have a non Volvo shop trying to do warranty they may have to get pre approval or may flat out be denied reimbursement as a way to protect the product Volvo warranties as well as their dealer network
I wouldn't change a water temp sensor out on a Volvo without a (Volvo) computer program.
The low O/P light might come on.
Raybo Marine NY and alloyboy like this.
Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,889
Default

Originally Posted by Parker Yacht View Post
I wouldn't change a water temp sensor out on a Volvo without a (Volvo) computer program.
The low O/P light might come on.
If the low OP light comes on after a water temp sensor went out and was replaced then the motor failed on your watch. You are now responsible to correct the low OP problem. To include replacing the block if that is what is needed.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:07 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,210
Default

I run a warranty service for over 30 companies. Some don’t care while others require the certified tech to sign in to start the claim. If the tech leaves then no warranty work can be performed until a new tech gets certified. That is why the owner [me] stays qualified. Then there is no interruption in business and customer support. This is all spelled out in the dealer agreement.
‘From the manufactures point of view. It keeps the dealer current. I agree some old school mechanics may be better but they are fading away.
Raybo Marine NY and N747JB like this.
fireisland1 is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:20 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,460
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
If the low OP light comes on after a water temp sensor went out and was replaced then the motor failed on your watch. You are now responsible to correct the low OP problem. To include replacing the block if that is what is needed.
Plus replace the bulb in the nav light on the bow.
alloyboy likes this.
Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,889
Default

Originally Posted by fireisland1 View Post
I run a warranty service for over 30 companies. Some don’t care while others require the certified tech to sign in to start the claim. If the tech leaves then no warranty work can be performed until a new tech gets certified. That is why the owner [me] stays qualified. Then there is no interruption in business and customer support. This is all spelled out in the dealer agreement.
‘From the manufactures point of view. It keeps the dealer current. I agree some old school mechanics may be better but they are fading away.
Yes, but I bet that you are not doing the actual work. Your workerbees are.

Like a number of mechanics that are performing work on Delta Jets. They may not have squat of certification. But they are trained and know what they are doing. Working under the auspices of a head kahuna. Who might not have the hands on skills that his workerbees have. But he as the certification.

Some tend to believe that only the guy with the papers should be doing the work.

alloyboy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:35 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,935
Default

Thanks everyone for their comments

Still curious as it relates specifically to Volvo

If a shop is Volvo authorized and that means any joe shmoe mechanic can do work that is interesting and probably a bit concerning...

I would've thought that the mechanic himself must be trained/authorized to work on Volvos
mystery is online now  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,889
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Thanks everyone for their comments

Still curious as it relates specifically to Volvo

If a shop is Volvo authorized and that means any joe shmoe mechanic can do work that is interesting and probably a bit concerning...

I would've thought that the mechanic himself must be trained/authorized to work on Volvos
A guy has to start some where. If he is smart he will know his own limitations and ask for help if and when he needs it. That is the most valuable lesson a man has to learn.

As mentioned, joe shmoe might know more about what he is doing that Volvo Vickie the prima donna.

I once worked with a guy that had all of his papers. Even a Phd. Went by doctor. Dressed to the nines. Had all of his hair with just a bit of graying at his temples. Very impressive looking guy. Sumbitch could not tie his own shoelaces.
Fishman39 likes this.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:41 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,935
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
A guy has to start some where. If he is smart he will know his own limitations and ask for help if and when he needs it. That is the most valuable lesson a man has to learn.

As mentioned, joe shmoe might know more about what he is doing that Volvo Vickie the prima donna.

I once worked with a guy that had all of his papers. Even a Phd. Went by doctor. Dressed to the nines. Had all of his hair with just a bit of graying at his temples. Very impressive looking guy. Sumbitch could not tie his own shoelaces.
i hear you but my issue is i had a bad experience / misdiagnosis / botched 'repair' and i believe the warranty work was done by a mechanic at the yard other than the one that is certified by volvo. so the guy either did not know what he was doing or was instructed to do things poorly/incorrectly. can just sum it up and say the yard is to blame either way though i guess...
mystery is online now  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Atlanta/Destin
Posts: 490
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Thanks everyone for their comments

Still curious as it relates specifically to Volvo

If a shop is Volvo authorized and that means any joe shmoe mechanic can do work that is interesting and probably a bit concerning...

I would've thought that the mechanic himself must be trained/authorized to work on Volvos
Again, I’m speaking from Ford experience, the shop has to have techs certified in particular areas, for example diesel or transmission. If the shop is deemed “shop competent” then any tech can perform the warranty repairs, this is based on CSI scores. If they aren’t shop competent, then the repair must be done by a tech certified in the area of the repair. Most shops have plenty of certified techs that cross mist specialties, so it’s usually not an issue.
N747JB is offline  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,210
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Yes, but I bet that you are not doing the actual work. Your workerbees are.

Like a number of mechanics that are performing work on Delta Jets. They may not have squat of certification. But they are trained and know what they are doing. Working under the auspices of a head kahuna. Who might not have the hands on skills that his workerbees have. But he as the certification.

Some tend to believe that only the guy with the papers should be doing the work.
wrong and wrong. You are welcome to stop by any day . I work in the shop all day and oversee every job. I hate the office and spend the least amount of time in there. A mistake in the office can usually be rectified. A mistake in my shop and things go BOOM
fireisland1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread