Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Next Boat? Whitewater 28, Conch 27, SeaVee 29, Onslow Bay 27

Notices
Like Tree71Likes

Next Boat? Whitewater 28, Conch 27, SeaVee 29, Onslow Bay 27

Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM
  #141  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,787
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post

As to the Conch 27...I freely admit I have not ridden in one but for all the noise you hear on this website about the Conch you would think they would be the end all be all and everyone would want one. However the fact of the matter is you don't see many or even see a build thread about one very often which leads me to believe that the hype is simply that...Hype. Usually from the same few guys.

THE BARRACUDA likes this.
coores14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM
  #142  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,310
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Had an Onslow Bay 27 and should have kept it. Best boat I've ever owned and I've owned a few..

Brad built the OB around the 26 Regulator Hull bottom but with his own modifications and the best part is the balance of the boat. You can have 700 hp on the transom and still plane at 15 mph when it gets really rough...or run 70 mph when it is calm. I don't think most people realize how impressive that speed range really is. Most of the bracket boats and boats with notched transom hull bottoms simply can't plane that low with heavy 4 stroke 6 cylinder engines on the back. The boat is also tough as it was built to run in the SKA where guys beat the hell out of their boats. His fuel tank installation is the best I've ever seen to prevent corrosion and centerline position gives one compartment and contributes to the weight distribution and balance.

WW 28 is a nice boat. I chartered one a couple of times to try it out and it is very good in many ways but lacks the head sea ride of the Onslow Bay or the Regulators I've owned. Not a reason not to own one but an observation.

As to the Conch 27...I freely admit I have not ridden in one but for all the noise you hear on this website about the Conch you would think they would be the end all be all and everyone would want one. However the fact of the matter is you don't see many or even see a build thread about one very often which leads me to believe that the hype is simply that...Hype. Usually from the same few guys.

Mostly used by comm folks who won't ever sell them.

The few that are sold are rarely listed and are gone in a day
with just a wink and a whisper

Clapped out Conchs go for north of fifty for a reason.

It's not because they suck.
gofastsandman is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM
  #143  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

Didn't say they sucked. Just think they are overhyped. If they were that good and that much better than everything out there, and the demand that high, then whoever owns the molds would be cranking them out as fast as possible because there would be money to be made.
bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 PM
  #144  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

Sorry to offend Coores14. Your posts are some of my favorite!
bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:37 PM
  #145  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,310
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Sorry to offend Coores14. Your posts are some of my favorite!
Matt at RnR has the molds now.

They have no desire to mass produce.

I was on a 25 ft boat last Sunday that held plane at 7 mph.

​​​​​​​Not a typo!
gofastsandman is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:38 PM
  #146  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

Not sure what that has to do with this particular thread unless it was a 25' Conch 27?
bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 PM
  #147  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 2,642
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
If they were that good and that much better than everything out there, and the demand that high, then whoever owns the molds would be cranking them out as fast as possible because there would be money to be made.
I don't disagree. My point is:

The Conch 27 (or 30) the 27 Onslow Bay, the 29 Sea Vee (which, if I'm not mistaken, was just added back to the CV lineup), the 28' Whitewater, and the 28' Contender are all great boats. However, the fact is very very few people are buying the 27' to 29' boats right now. A brand new boat in this class is so danged expensive why not spend a little more and buy a 31' Contender? Or a 32' Sea Vee? 33' Invincible? 33' Conch? It's a strange market right now, a 31' to 34' anyboat is not really considered that big anymore. And now we have "bayboats" that are 27' with twin 300s.

These boats we're discussing are filling a very specific niche, and there just aren't that many of them for sale. When they are competitively priced, they disappear overnight. When Coores and I bought our boats we literally left the sellers a deposit check within an hour of seeing the boats. If it's the right boat, regardless of brand, they are very much in demand and coveted. As for the new builds, I don't know what the wait time is but Norm has an 18 month waiting list for a 28WW. Perhaps it's less for an R&R Conch, CV, OB, or Contender but I honestly don't know.

Last edited by burningdaylight; 06-21-2019 at 05:40 PM.
burningdaylight is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM
  #148  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,787
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Sorry to offend Coores14. Your posts are some of my favorite!
not offended at all.
I think youíre wrong on the Conch thing, but Iím trying to keep my mouth shut because Iím tired of getting into it.
coores14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:50 PM
  #149  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,310
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with this particular thread unless it was a 25' Conch 27?
It is a prototype/ proof of concept design for the Tribute 37.
​​​​​​​a Steve Matthews design and damned impressive.
gofastsandman is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 PM
  #150  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Newport, RI & Key West, FL
Posts: 4,066
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Didn't say they sucked. Just think they are overhyped. If they were that good and that much better than everything out there, and the demand that high, then whoever owns the molds would be cranking them out as fast as possible because there would be money to be made.
Overhyped? if you say so

but...they are cranking them out contrary to your comment above...same with WW, there are waitlists for both and always have been be it WW, E&D or R&R.

R&R is backed up to the point they canít keep boats in house long enough to demo
Trayder is online now  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:59 PM
  #151  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post


not offended at all.
I think youíre wrong on the Conch thing, but Iím trying to keep my mouth shut because Iím tired of getting into it.
Haha.. I appreciate your restraint. Can't really hurt my feelings on this one though.

Burning Daylight's post kind of reinforces my point...if the original Conch 27 is/was that good, why did somebody slap a bracket on it and call it a 30 and where are they all? Is it sooo good that you have to pass a test or be special to get one? Have to join a club to get one? Sacrifice a goat?

It doesn't really matter. Back to my lane.

bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:06 PM
  #152  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 844
Default

To the OP
you have a few years to save.
In 3 years Iím going to sell mine, and build another Onslow Bay

PreciousCargo is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:08 PM
  #153  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 844
Default



PreciousCargo is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 PM
  #154  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Newport, RI & Key West, FL
Posts: 4,066
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
As to the Conch 27...I freely admit I have not ridden in one but for all the noise you hear on this website about the Conch you would think they would be the end all be all and everyone would want one. However the fact of the matter is you don't see many or even see a build thread about one very often which leads me to believe that the hype is simply that...Hype. Usually from the same few guys.
Quick?

How can you pass judgement with zero real world experience?







Trayder is online now  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:07 PM
  #155  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

LOL, I knew it wouldn't be long. I take it all back. Conch is the best.
bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:08 PM
  #156  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

Hey Precious Cargo,

Really nice boat.

How do you like those Llebroc chairs? Are they comfortable underway?
bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:10 PM
  #157  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,787
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Haha.. I appreciate your restraint. Can't really hurt my feelings on this one though.

Burning Daylight's post kind of reinforces my point...if the original Conch 27 is/was that good, why did somebody slap a bracket on it and call it a 30 and where are they all? Is it sooo good that you have to pass a test or be special to get one? Have to join a club to get one? Sacrifice a goat?

It doesn't really matter. Back to my lane.
Iím not restraining myself for your sake.

The 30 isnít just a 27 with a bracket. They built (and probably still could) the 27 with a bracket as the 27 for a good while.

The original builder, E&D, was a tiny operation. Trayder can better tell the story, but suffice it to say that there arenít many E&D conchs in this world, relatively speaking. In relation to the boating world as a whole, theyíre the smallest fraction of a percent. Mostly all focused in the northeast or in south Florida.
Enter R&R. Again, a tiny operation. From my understanding that is by choice. Not every person in this world wants to turn their boat building into Sea Hunt numbers. Or even Sea Vee numbers. They build as many boats as they can/want while maintaining the type of quality that they want. and the fact that they currently have a long waiting list is testament to the fact that people want the boats. But again, in relation to the boating world as a whole? Still a tiny fraction of a percent in existence.

R&R took the Conch to a different level of quality and fit and finish, perhaps alienating some of the ďold schoolĒ fans of the boat. Some also say that the old hulls ride better. Again, cutting into any hope that the old owner will buy another new Conch.
Conchs are also built like a brick shithouse, so the old hulls are often times ďlifetimeĒ boats for people. Many of those people are too busy making a living on the boat to spend time on tht.
As others have mentioned, when someone does want to sell their Conch it usually happens quickly and under the radar. We never know about it. Not every boat in the world makes it on tht when it goes for sale.
Also, as mentioned before, the majority of conchs are focused in the northeast or south Florida. I believe youíre up around the Chesapeake? Yep, not surprised that you rarely see one. However, I see them every single day.
R&R doesnít advertise much. Or at all. They donít need to. They donít join THT and chat with us. They donít do build threads. Builders like Onslow do decide to do that. It exposes their brand, but it also can give the illusion of them being way more popular than they are. Iím NOT saying that onslow is falsely popular. From what I can tell, theyíre the real deal. But interacting on a forum and (maybe not explicitly) encouraging buyers to do the same can make it seem like the builder is bigger than they really are. I think Iíve seen one Onslow in the wild. I think.
Conch just steadily builds boats for people that choose not to broadcast it on tht. Theres a brand new Conch 30 a few canals over from my boat. Never heard a peep about it being built or anything. And the owner has mutual friends of mine, and we all love to talk boats. Nobody knew about it. It wasnít on THT!

i donít see many Mag Bays. I hear theyíre awesome. But Iíve never seen a build thread or one out in the wild, so theyíre clearly all hype. Same with Tribute. Or HCB. Iíve actually seen quite a few HCBs in the wild. Never seen a build thread on here. Or really seen much discussion at all.
coores14 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:14 PM
  #158  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,156
Default

Thanks Coores.

It was sure fun getting you guys stirred up though.

I still remember the thread on here a few years ago where some guy had an older Conch 27 for sale for some ridiculous price and all the uproar that created...haha..good times.

Last edited by bens2; 06-21-2019 at 03:21 PM.
bens2 is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM
  #159  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 3,709
Default

I still think that a 135g WW would be pretty sparse
rcoshane likes this.
Lazy Bones is offline  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 PM
  #160  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 844
Default

Originally Posted by bens2 View Post
Hey Precious Cargo,

Really nice boat.

How do you like those Llebroc chairs? Are they comfortable underway?
Thanks for the compliment.
And Yes, Definitely worth the upgrade from the bench option.
For the long offshore runs while driving in a race car.
Have to be comfortable. Like a nice comfy hug the entire ride out.
The nice part is you can flip the armrests up and down, so if I wanted to sit in the chair with my legs on the Gunnell while drifting I can.
PreciousCargo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread