Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Registering a “Documented” Vessel?

Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Registering a “Documented” Vessel?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 479
Default Registering a “Documented” Vessel?

i bought a boat that is USCG documented. I’ve done some searches on it but how does this work with state registration?

Do do I still pay sales tax (ok I think I know the answer) and get a registration? Do I need boat numbers? It currently has none.

in trying to educate myself because when I went in to the license agency they told me I had to call the CG and they didn’t know what to do with it.
clockwork is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 28
Default

What state? I did mine in Komifornistan. Some states require a letter from the coast guard that the vessel has been taken out of registration
hammerhead_77 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,192
Default

Yes, you have to pay taxes. Transfer the document into your name and most states require state registration too (so they can extract more taxes), but you will display no numbers, it violates the fed requirements, just required to display the state sticker.
BCPD199 likes this.
smccormick is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 02:00 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southeast Ct.
Posts: 837
Default

You need to check with YOUR state. Unquestionably you will need to pay sales tax, registration with the state, numbers may not be required. Of course you need to apply with the CG to have documentation transferred in your name. What kind of boat.?
Gullpt is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,156
Default

No taxes required if you follow Senator John Kerry's example and register your Massachusetts boat in Rhode Island, otherwise follow the laws applicable for your state.
wingless is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,804
Default

Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
i bought a boat that is USCG documented. I’ve done some searches on it but how does this work with state registration?

Do do I still pay sales tax (ok I think I know the answer) and get a registration? Do I need boat numbers? It currently has none.

in trying to educate myself because when I went in to the license agency they told me I had to call the CG and they didn’t know what to do with it.
its really easy: go to your state's web page and read it!

almost every state lays it out in plain english

some states sales/use tax and registration is handled separately or does not match up with each other exactly

you have not even told us what state

hint: there is no getting out of sales/use tax just because its a documented boat. if the state does not tax casual sales (between private parties) or does not tax boat purchases that is probably the only way to get out. some states do require you to register/get a decal for a registered vessel. some do not (but you'd still owe the tax, if applicable).

again, spend a few minutes, and do your homework
mystery is online now  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 479
Default

Washington state. Boat purchased in Maryland. I’ve read the website and it’s not as clear as I need it to be.
clockwork is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY/Barnegat Bay
Posts: 298
Default

You will need to register the boat, and get a registration sticker, pay sales tax. The registration sticker should be displayed on the pilot house/flybridge. You do not put the registration numbers on the boat.
sailfish272 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:43 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 2,478
Default

I retained a broker to do all the paperwork for me, saved me lots of hassle, time, and money. The deal he landed on my insurance alone paid for his services. At least consider it....
Flying_Norseman is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 02:39 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,864
Default

Ok, you haven't said...are you going to keep the boat documented? Keep it documented or not...it is your choice.
Not all, but most states require documented boats to still be state registered. I'm in VA and my boat is not state registered, but again, most states do require it.
If and when you register your boat, you will get a registration sticker from the state that will be displayed on the boat.
You DO NOT put state numbers on a documented boat. Touch base with whatever state you are keeping the boat in and find out what they require. Google is your friend.
By the way, you can do the document transfer yourself for around $100. There are companies that will handle it for you for around $400-500. Go to the Coast Guard document office website. MAKE SURE it ends in .mil.

are you keeping the boat in MD or moving it to Wash?

Last edited by chuck34; 06-07-2019 at 02:46 PM.
chuck34 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:48 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,804
Default

Originally Posted by Flying_Norseman View Post
I retained a broker to do all the paperwork for me, saved me lots of hassle, time, and money. The deal he landed on my insurance alone paid for his services. At least consider it....
huh? how does using someone to fill out your USCG forms get you an insurance discount? honestly, the USCG forms are easier and 10x time efficient than registering a vehicle in pretty much any state.
mystery is online now  
Old 06-08-2019, 06:22 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,864
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
huh? how does using someone to fill out your USCG forms get you an insurance discount? honestly, the USCG forms are easier and 10x time efficient than registering a vehicle in pretty much any state.
i can see getting a discount for having the boat documented but it would have happened no matter who handled the paperwork. The boat owner could have saved a bunch of money doing it himself and still would have gotten the discount
chuck34 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 06:29 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,864
Default

Originally Posted by Flying_Norseman View Post
I retained a broker to do all the paperwork for me, saved me lots of hassle, time, and money. The deal he landed on my insurance alone paid for his services. At least consider it....
I’ve documented 4 boats over the years. The first one was done by a service because I was young, dumb and didn’t know any better. I did the next 3. Easy, peasy and I saved a bunch of money
chuck34 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,804
Default

Originally Posted by chuck34 View Post


i can see getting a discount for having the boat documented but it would have happened no matter who handled the paperwork. The boat owner could have saved a bunch of money doing it himself and still would have gotten the discount
i have never heard of a discount for a documented boat. used many insurance companies over the years. dont think a single one ever knew my documentation # or state registration # either.
mystery is online now  
Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,864
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
i have never heard of a discount for a documented boat. used many insurance companies over the years. dont think a single one ever knew my documentation # or state registration # either.
ok, I re-read the guys post. He didn't say he got a discount for being documented. His broker landed him a deal on insurance that saved him money. Being documented had nothing to do with insurance.
smccormick likes this.
chuck34 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,804
Default

Originally Posted by chuck34 View Post


ok, I re-read the guys post. He didn't say he got a discount for being documented. His broker landed him a deal on insurance that saved him money. Being documented had nothing to do with insurance.
still doesnt make sense

how does someone land someone a deal on boat insurance?
mystery is online now  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 2,478
Default

Originally Posted by chuck34 View Post


ok, I re-read the guys post. He didn't say he got a discount for being documented. His broker landed him a deal on insurance that saved him money. Being documented had nothing to do with insurance.
Thank you. It’s all in the details. At least you got it...
Flying_Norseman is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 11:02 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 2,478
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
still doesnt make sense

how does someone land someone a deal on boat insurance?
By using a well connected broker. Simple really. Saved me $3.000,- a year.
Flying_Norseman is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 12:30 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,864
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
still doesnt make sense

how does someone land someone a deal on boat insurance?
well, I used to pay almost $1300 a year for homeowners ins. Then I found a great deal... now pay less than $400.
chuck34 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 12:32 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,864
Default

Originally Posted by Flying_Norseman View Post


By using a well connected broker. Simple really. Saved me $3.000,- a year.
must be be one really nice boat you have
chuck34 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread