Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Cobia 296/ Twin 300's. Talk me out of buying it!

Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Cobia 296/ Twin 300's. Talk me out of buying it!

Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM
  #21  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Miami & Key Largo
Posts: 642
Default WW

I stopped when you sold the WW. Get whateva tickles your fancy bro. U know mo betta then 95% of all the guys on here by now. I won't try to sway U...ill just see what happens
EdwardB is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 AM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,649
Default

I do love the ride of the OB27 and SP. This is more of a fill in boat for a while than anything but I still don't want to own junk. Basically I can spend less money on the Cobia, get a much newer model, digital shift 300's and a lot of amenities for the price of a much older SP or OB27 that's in rough shape. Good seating is a must for us at this point considering the distances we will be running back and forth to our land until the house is built. This makes the Cobia a winner as long as it rides well. I don't expect an OB or SP type of ride but I don't want a Sea Hunt Gamefish ride either.
Windham14 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 399
Default

Originally Posted by Windham14 View Post
I do love the ride of the OB27 and SP. This is more of a fill in boat for a while than anything but I still don't want to own junk. Basically I can spend less money on the Cobia, get a much newer model, digital shift 300's and a lot of amenities for the price of a much older SP or OB27 that's in rough shape. Good seating is a must for us at this point considering the distances we will be running back and forth to our land until the house is built. This makes the Cobia a winner as long as it rides well. I don't expect an OB or SP type of ride but I don't want a Sea Hunt Gamefish ride either.
damn thatís cheap then, as long as u can sell for close to what u pay for it, when Iím buying a boat I donít have first hand experience on I go look at one thatís around 6-10 years old with 1000 or so hours and look how itís holding up make sure it doesnít have any stress crack anywhere, the Cobia I was on was no where near as good as the sea hunt gf30 ride. I would consider that boat solid and average, there 3 gamefish on my lagoon 2-3 years old and they seem like they are holding up well, my neighbor is happy with his he says he bought he expected average for what he paid for and it actually very happy with it
tt6099 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 AM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S. GA, Beacon Hill, FL
Posts: 482
Default

Buy the boat and enjoy it!
skillet64 is online now  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 49
Default

My dad was looking at boats years ago. We were coming from a 21' Grady and he wanted to go bigger. I believe it was a 2008 26 foot Cobia. We went to look at it. It had insane amounts of room on the inside, very wide, great layout for the type of fishing we do, and all the features looked nice. Twin Yamaha engines. It looked like an incredible boat. He was going to buy it. Everything checked out. The dealer even installed the outriggers my dad wanted to get for the boat and swapped out the head unit for a newer bluetooth stereo. All that was left was the sea trial.

He went out with a friend and my Mom and the guy selling the boat at the dealer out of Hillsboro Inlet. My dad said it couldn't have been more than 2-3 foot seas and not very windy. He said it was like getting sprayed directly with a firehose. He said my mom and everyone got absolutely soaked, the boat banged like hell, and it was not comfortable. I thought he was joking when he was telling me this but he was 100% serious. I seriously thought he was joking because he was so excited to go on it. He said it was the worst riding boat he had ever been on, worse than our 21' Grady, and that the water went straight up the sides into their faces.

He ended up getting a good deal on a leftover 2012 25 foot Sea Hunt demo boat with about 22 hours on it.

I bought my 21' Sea Hunt last year at a dealer that took it in as a trade-in. They sold new Cobias there. The new ones look nice, looks like they have more flare. Now, granted, this is the guy that is selling Cobias talking - but he straight up told us that the older ones sucked and that the group that makes the Mavericks/Hewes/Pathfinder (they own Cobia) basically went back to the drawing board in redesigning the Cobia line as their offshore line. He said they wanted to compete with Sailfish, Grady-White, etc; that market. He told us that the new 29 foot Cobia is an absolutely amazing boat that can compete with almost anything in that range, and that people couldn't believe it when they went on it. Again, this is the sales manager telling me this and he sells Cobias, but he was specifically talking about the new 29-foot model being incredible, and obviously, I'm not going to buy anything close to that when I am buying a used 21 foot Sea Hunt.

I would say, sea trial it! Let us know. Only way to know if the boat is for you! But that is my experience with Cobias.
clarkefishing is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 AM
  #26  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,706
Default

2019 Cobia 301 Sea Trial and questions
Fish'nFool is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:32 AM
  #27  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edgewater, Maryland
Posts: 991
Default

If you can buy it right, then why not pick up the Cobia 296 since you aren’t likely to hold this for more than a year based on your recent history. You can always sell it if the ride doesn’t meet your expectations. Besides, you appear to be pretty good at buying and selling boats.

From a selfish standpoint, I would say go buy the boat so we can get your write up on comparisons to all of the other boats that you have owned
old hat is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Fl keys
Posts: 147
Default

My buddy has the 29' Cobia, 2017 I think. I've always thought it felt really stable and heavy enough to be pretty smooth in 3', I've never felt it pound to much, generally it lands pretty soft. After being on his, i'm a fan of these boats. It's got too much seating and family friendly stuff for me but I thought the ride was very nice with twin 3's. The dive door is nice to have as well.
southtx is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:10 AM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,649
Default

Originally Posted by tt6099 View Post


damn that’s cheap then, as long as u can sell for close to what u pay for it, when I’m buying a boat I don’t have first hand experience on I go look at one that’s around 6-10 years old with 1000 or so hours and look how it’s holding up make sure it doesn’t have any stress crack anywhere, the Cobia I was on was no where near as good as the sea hunt gf30 ride. I would consider that boat solid and average, there 3 gamefish on my lagoon 2-3 years old and they seem like they are holding up well, my neighbor is happy with his he says he bought he expected average for what he paid for and it actually very happy with it
First off thanks for all the comments. Not sure which Cobia you were on but I have 3 friends with different size Sea Hunt boats. One is a 235, the other two are Gamefish boats. They are cracking all over the place. Various cracks in the splash wells, in areas of the floor, all around the console, etc. I have spent a lot of time on a 25 and 27 GF and thought they both rode terribly and were super wet. Can't comment on the 30, maybe it's better. The 296 I'm looking at literally doesn't have even the smallest crack anywhere inside or out. I am going to seatrial it in the morning and go from there. All in all I'm hearing very positive comments. We will see.
Windham14 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:18 AM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nokomis, Florida
Posts: 1,204
Default

I have a somewhat off-the-wall question, but it is an important component in my boating activities.

What type of electronics are you used to using. If the answer is Simrad, you will be disappointed in Garmin. I know people will try and slam this question, but to me, it is of paramount importance.

Anyway, just trying to help your decision process.
nfairbank is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,781
Default

buy it.

if everything about it is perfect except for the possibility of it being marginally less than perfect offshore, then I say buy it.
It's a 29 foot boat built by a company that's been in the game for a long time and understands hull design. I HIGHLY doubt that it'll ride so bad that you wish you never bought it despite all of the other wonderful attributes about the boat in regards to your situation.
coores14 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 AM
  #32  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location:
Posts: 747
Default

Originally Posted by Windham14 View Post
So what I want to know is... In TRUE 2-3' seas say at 6--8 seconds apart, is the boat going to run smooth? No slamming, no water over the sides, etc.
In 2' confused short chop will it ride thru it without any issues comfortably
In a following sea does it keep its chin up and run nicely or does it drop in between waves and throw water over the hardtop lol
compared to that Southport you had, youíll be disappointed.
saltydog235 is online now  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:37 AM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,649
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
buy it.

if everything about it is perfect except for the possibility of it being marginally less than perfect offshore, then I say buy it.
It's a 29 foot boat built by a company that's been in the game for a long time and understands hull design. I HIGHLY doubt that it'll ride so bad that you wish you never bought it despite all of the other wonderful attributes about the boat in regards to your situation.
I respect your opinion Coores. Thanks
Windham14 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:40 AM
  #34  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,649
Default

Originally Posted by saltydog235 View Post


compared to that Southport you had, youíll be disappointed.
I don't see how it could ride worse than my 26 SP but I could be wrong. Theres a lot more length and weight in the Cobia. If it's close to the SP ride I'll be happy. Going to run it before I buy it. I'll know as soon as I get it in a couple different situations. I will try to do a good write up on it this weekend.
Windham14 is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 05:19 PM
  #35  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Palm city, fl
Posts: 742
Default

I’ve owned some and fished many others. I’ve been crossing to the Bahamas since the early 80s. I was very impressed with the ride of the 296 (now called 301 with new cap). I researched heavily and even spoke with the naval architect. So, I bought one. I’ve been caught in much bigger seas than planned due to a massive t-storm. I’ve crossed in quartering seas and big following seas. The boat handles and rides very well. A choppy 3’ Quartering sea will throw a lot of spray and I have wings for snotty days. The boat is about 11,000 lbs with fuel and water, no peeps. Hope this helps. I’m available for any questions. Craig
footankleg is online now  
Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 3,709
Default

Originally Posted by footankleg View Post
Iíve owned some and fished many others. Iíve been crossing to the Bahamas since the early 80s. I was very impressed with the ride of the 296 (now called 301 with new cap). I researched heavily and even spoke with the naval architect. So, I bought one. Iíve been caught in much bigger seas than planned due to a massive t-storm. Iíve crossed in quartering seas and big following seas. The boat handles and rides very well. A choppy 3í Quartering sea will throw a lot of spray and I have wings for snotty days. The boat is about 11,000 lbs with fuel and water, no peeps. Hope this helps. Iím available for any questions. Craig
From the horseís mouth, not talking about a a 2008 different design.

You seem to buy boats right and cycle through them, prolly canít go wrong


Lazy Bones is offline  
Old 06-06-2019, 10:34 PM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 399
Default

Originally Posted by Windham14 View Post
First off thanks for all the comments. Not sure which Cobia you were on but I have 3 friends with different size Sea Hunt boats. One is a 235, the other two are Gamefish boats. They are cracking all over the place. Various cracks in the splash wells, in areas of the floor, all around the console, etc. I have spent a lot of time on a 25 and 27 GF and thought they both rode terribly and were super wet. Can't comment on the 30, maybe it's better. The 296 I'm looking at literally doesn't have even the smallest crack anywhere inside or out. I am going to seatrial it in the morning and go from there. All in all I'm hearing very positive comments. We will see.
that sounds good then that Cobia sounds like a deal. the sea hunt Gf boats Iím referring too are 2017 And newer maybe quality has gone up a little. but I have not done thorough inspection either just no complaints and no obvious damage I can see. Sea trial n see if the ride is good enough u know ur boats. Good luck
tt6099 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 04:05 AM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,649
Default

Originally Posted by nfairbank View Post
I have a somewhat off-the-wall question, but it is an important component in my boating activities.

What type of electronics are you used to using. If the answer is Simrad, you will be disappointed in Garmin. I know people will try and slam this question, but to me, it is of paramount importance.

Anyway, just trying to help your decision process.
I am comfortable with about any electronics brand. Simrad is in this boat and Iím ok with those screens. Thanks for the input.
Windham14 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 AM
  #39  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by Windham14 View Post
I don't see how it could ride worse than my 26 SP but I could be wrong. Theres a lot more length and weight in the Cobia. If it's close to the SP ride I'll be happy. Going to run it before I buy it. I'll know as soon as I get it in a couple different situations. I will try to do a good write up on it this weekend.
I have a 2018 Cobia 261. It has done everything I have asked of it. When we were boat shopping we looked at the 296. I really liked it but the other half said it was too big.

Cobia builds a good quality boat. I am interested in your view point after the sea trial.
tangledline is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 03:21 PM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,649
Default

I’m pressed for time right now but will write a little review later. In short, I bought the boat and I’m very happy about it

For anyone who cares, I'll start a separate review/ upgrade thread and add to it as we go.
Onewolf likes this.

Last edited by Windham14; 06-08-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Windham14 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread