Notices
Like Tree51Likes

Offshore aches and pains

Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 244
Wink Offshore aches and pains

Anyone else get serious neck and shoulder pains from running offshore and staring at screens..? After 3 days I am in a lot of pain and its affecting my work.

Any tips other than bigger screens and a bigger boat?
lyman24 likes this.
Bgoodman4 is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fla / Curacao / WA
Posts: 4,726
Default

Sometimes the best looking dash is eurgonomicly bad for your neck. Are your screens down low or way up in an overhead? I used to tease a buddy about his top mounted gear till I spent a full day hunched over my slick new flush mount. Ouch
v12mac is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 244
Default

Originally Posted by v12mac View Post
Sometimes the best looking dash is eurgonomicly bad for your neck. Are your screens down low or way up in an overhead? I used to tease a buddy about his top mounted gear till I spent a full day hunched over my slick new flush mount. Ouch
Down low about chest high..
Bgoodman4 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:43 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 865
Default

I tell people that fishing offshore in a small boat might not be exercise, but it's always a workout. We often go 60 miles out, troll 30 miles or so, and then 60 miles back. That's roughly the equivalent of a 150 mile trip on a bumpy road at 30 mph. That being said, we do it every chance we get.
petrel, lyman24, Realdeep and 2 others like this.
1stchunt is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 4,054
Default

Sounds like someone needs to visit the medical marijuana clinic.
crackerasscracker is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,673
Default

You need to get a boat massage lady. You drive, she massages. You fish some, she massages some more.
...and then, she make you a nice sammich.
SeaCat22 is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,085
Default

Originally Posted by Bgoodman4 View Post
Anyone else get serious neck and shoulder pains from running offshore and staring at screens..? After 3 days I am in a lot of pain and its affecting my work.

Any tips other than bigger screens and a bigger boat?
Advil
Mpellet is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 80
Default

Autopilot has actually worked wonders for me. 30 mile runs sitting and watching the water versus 30 mile runs correcting speed and steering are very different. I always thought people were exaggerating the utility, but it is something I'll never be without again.
old hat, Riptide, gerg and 14 others like this.
FloridaIR is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,085
Default

Originally Posted by FloridaIR View Post
Autopilot has actually worked wonders for me. 30 mile runs sitting and watching the water versus 30 mile runs correcting speed and steering are very different. I always thought people were exaggerating the utility, but it is something I'll never be without again.
Spot on.
Mpellet is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 268
Default

Anti fatigue mat at the helm and good shoes. I finally got the anti fatigue mat a few weeks ago and did wonders. I run a 18ft CC and ran a total of 50 miles out in the ocean and felt much better than I normally would the next day.
fishypete is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 244
Default

Originally Posted by 1stchunt View Post
I tell people that fishing offshore in a small boat might not be exercise, but it's always a workout. We often go 60 miles out, troll 30 miles or so, and then 60 miles back. That's roughly the equivalent of a 150 mile trip on a bumpy road at 30 mph. That being said, we do it every chance we get.
I would be right there with you. Bottom fishing is a little different because I am staring a hole in my machine while driving..
Bgoodman4 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:56 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 244
Default

Originally Posted by crackerasscracker View Post
Sounds like someone needs to visit the medical marijuana clinic.
Not legal here yet and the CBD oil I got is just not cutting it!
Bgoodman4 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 244
Default

Originally Posted by FloridaIR View Post
Autopilot has actually worked wonders for me. 30 mile runs sitting and watching the water versus 30 mile runs correcting speed and steering are very different. I always thought people were exaggerating the utility, but it is something I'll never be without again.
Yep on the list for my next boat,,,
UncleLuke likes this.
Bgoodman4 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 244
Talking

Originally Posted by fishypete View Post
Anti fatigue mat at the helm and good shoes. I finally got the anti fatigue mat a few weeks ago and did wonders. I run a 18ft CC and ran a total of 50 miles out in the ocean and felt much better than I normally would the next day.
Its been a slow year I have a memory foam bath mat... Which mat do you recommend? I looked at the sea dek but I am not sure it will make much of a difference.
Bgoodman4 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 615
Default

Agree with autopilot and advil (the day after)
Slow down in seas that you would ordinarily just plow into
Pick your days

For a few years now I've realized I can't go out consecutive days
It's tough but I've limited myself to fishing every other day
Not a bad problem to have
tvguy243 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:24 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC - TI
Posts: 1,086
Default

autopilot and ear plugs are two things that you should never leave the dock without. No pain in my head, but I'm 54 and am convinced that my loss of hearing is directly related to outboards, mainly 2 strokes for hours on end back and forth from the stream.
Knot on Call is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PBG FL
Posts: 441
Default


Originally Posted by Bgoodman4 View Post
Its been a slow year I have a memory foam bath mat... Which mat do you recommend? I looked at the sea dek but I am not sure it will make much of a difference.
i've had several different makes from marine stores. This one from Birdsall Marine has been the best. Seems like same stuff physical therapists has.

Birdsall
toristoy is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:45 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,516
Default

Originally Posted by Mpellet View Post


Advil

Try Vicodin. Works better.
Tiretyme and Vantaredoc like this.
lyman24 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:16 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 333
Default

Originally Posted by toristoy View Post


i've had several different makes from marine stores. This one from Birdsall Marine has been the best. Seems like same stuff physical therapists has.

Birdsall
I have this one as well and it’s great.
Cultivatedcoral is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 2,623
Default

Croc flops, a 1.5" gel pad at the helm. Amy does massage, sandwiches, endless supply of lemonade and Gatorade.

In a bikini.

I'm still sore as hell the next day.
Jumpsummo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread