Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

I got boarded by the USCG this weekend and I brought it on myself.

Notices
Like Tree261Likes

I got boarded by the USCG this weekend and I brought it on myself.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:22 PM
  #81  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
As former federal LE, I want to know if you have weapons and where they are for the safety of BOTH of us. I'm with you for a legal reason whether you like it, agree, disagree, whatever. My first job is to keep us both safe. You may be Mother Teresa but I haven't a clue that who or what you are. You go for a document and have to grab your 9MM to get it and...off we go. Evening news. .



This quote tells me all I need to know about Big Hoss the Gunslinger.
Exactly, and this is why I don't keep my firearms with documents that may be needed. My firearm is usually on my body or is readily accessible in it's own space. I don't know who you are either. Maybe you just found out your wife is having an affair with the plumber and are going to lose it on the next guy that has an expired fire extinguisher? There is just no reason to pull over a boat that is not visibly violating any laws. Registration on the side is visible - call it in if you want to verify it is registered properly. The paper I provide you will be the same registration that is on the boat.

Now, you want to pull over a guy doing 65 MPH in a 25 zone - go ahead - and do whatever is needed, but leave the rest of us alone. I can take care of myself whether it is for my protection or my safety. If a bad buy approaches my boat I don't think I will wait for the sheriff or coast guard to show up to protect me. Intimidating boaters that carry firearms is not the answer.

Finally, a 9mm is not a round I would carry on a boat. Carry on
mdees88 likes this.
glasairpilot is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:27 PM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jupiter, Florida
Posts: 248
Default

Originally Posted by glasairpilot View Post
Finally, a 9mm is not a round I would carry on a boat. Carry on
And I already knew that. Carry on.
mdees88 likes this.
firstbase is online now  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:48 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 2,623
Default

Well in this case the important fact is I'm a citizen living in a country with a second amendment. And a 4th. I should not be interrogated about anything not pertaining to why you pulled me over. That makes it a fishing expedition.

Last edited by THT Mod 11; 06-10-2019 at 04:23 AM. Reason: removed shooting comment
Jumpsummo is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 PM
  #84  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,053
Default

Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post

This post may not necessarily be welcomed here, but Id like to put forward my views on your Coast Guard and being boarded by them.

You have a fantastic organisation working for you, well funded, well resourced and well trained. If having a safety net like that means getting boarded occasionally for what you feel is little or no reason its a great trade off.

Here (Australia) wed love to have a Coast Guard like yours, ours is a volunteer organisation who receive bugger all government funding and have to rely on public and corporate funding just to stay afloat (pun not intended). If we had an organisation like your Coast Guard, Id gladly be boarded every time I was on the water if it meant their continued existence.

Of course its annoying having some of your valuable leisure time taken up with bureaucratic faffing about, but isnt having a quality rescue organisation there in case you need it worth the trade off?
Very few people appreciate what they have until they lose it. I'm very grateful the USCG and other public safety agencies are out there. With as many idiots as we allow to operate boats in the US, there should be more enforcement. I've been boating regularly for over 20 years and have been stopped and checked two or three times. One time, one of the guys (the lead guy in the crew) was not polite or courteous, although the rest of the crew was. That didn't sour me on the experience. I made it known how much I appreciated them being out there, I thanked the guys who were courteous and then politely addressed the arrogant POS in charge and told him that his demeanor was uncalled for and he should learn from his crew. He blushed while the rest of the crew grinned.
joediaz is online now  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 PM
  #85  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 411
Default

Originally Posted by joediaz View Post
Very few people appreciate what they have until they lose it. I'm very grateful the USCG and other public safety agencies are out there. With as many idiots as we allow to operate boats in the US, there should be more enforcement. I've been boating regularly for over 20 years and have been stopped and checked two or three times.......
Many people, including me, will comment that the pre 9/11 USCG was much different than the current (post 9/11) USCG. It's seems back then, the primary focus for pleasure boaters was aid, search&rescue, with very few "safety inspections".
johnny.dollar is online now  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 PM
  #86  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,053
Smile

Originally Posted by glasairpilot View Post
Exactly, and this is why I don't keep my firearms with documents that may be needed. My firearm is usually on my body or is readily accessible in it's own space. I don't know who you are either. Maybe you just found out your wife is having an affair with the plumber and are going to lose it on the next guy that has an expired fire extinguisher? There is just no reason to pull over a boat that is not visibly violating any laws. Registration on the side is visible - call it in if you want to verify it is registered properly. The paper I provide you will be the same registration that is on the boat.

Now, you want to pull over a guy doing 65 MPH in a 25 zone - go ahead - and do whatever is needed, but leave the rest of us alone. I can take care of myself whether it is for my protection or my safety. If a bad buy approaches my boat I don't think I will wait for the sheriff or coast guard to show up to protect me. Intimidating boaters that carry firearms is not the answer.

Finally, a 9mm is not a round I would carry on a boat. Carry on
If the criteria you'd use to stop vessels at sea is that they would have to be visibly violating a law, they would never catch any drug smugglers or human traffickers. Vessels of all sizes cruise quietly without visibly breaking any laws loaded with tons of cocaine, illegal weapons, migrants hidden underneath, etc. So, if the USCG were to follow your advice, none of those would be stopped and searched, correct? Even pirates off the coast of Somalia appear to be innocent local fishermen in dilapidated boats not visibly violating any laws, until they illegally board a ship. What would you suggest? A voluntary call in to report contraband and illegal activity? Like getting on channel 16 and notifying the USCG vessel cruising by that you are operating a stolen boat? I'd like to see the success rate on that method.

I wonder if you would feel the same way if your boat was stolen and it was recovered by USCG or law enforcement.

I'm sure you'd ask "were the subjects visibly violating the law when you stopped them?"

USCG: No sir, we recovered your vessel during a routine inspection.

YOU: Oh no, that's unfair and unconstitutional, give it back to those guys and let's wait until they commit a violation in front of you guys.

Last edited by joediaz; 06-09-2019 at 08:49 PM.
joediaz is online now  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Danvers, MA
Posts: 913
Default

Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
Here (Australia) we’d love to have a Coast Guard like yours, ours is a volunteer organisation who receive bugger all government funding and have to rely on public and corporate funding just to stay afloat (pun not intended). If we had an organisation like your Coast Guard, I’d gladly be boarded every time I was on the water if it meant their continued existence.
Isn't the Australian Maritime Safety Authority pretty much the equivalent of the USGC? They do mostly SAR missions and they share a lot of the duties with many of the other maritime organizations, especially the volunteer coastguard, no?
Hatem is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 AM
  #88  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
Default

Originally Posted by joediaz View Post
<snip>
I wonder if you would feel the same way if your boat was stolen and it was recovered by USCG or law enforcement.
I'm sure you'd ask "were the subjects visibly violating the law when you stopped them?"
USCG: No sir, we recovered your vessel during a routine inspection.
YOU: Oh no, that's unfair and unconstitutional, give it back to those guys and let's wait until they commit a violation in front of you guys.
I would be interested to know the stats if the USCG or even any local water LEO EVER recovered a stolen vessel that they discovered on a routine safety stop and registration check. Seems like the only thing they have found (just based on decades of observations and discussions) has been expired registration which could be found on most boat just by looking at the sticker by the registration numbers.
km1125 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:09 AM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,035
Default

Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
I'm sure he posted it because of all the babies on here crying about the injustices of the Coast Guard and their illegal searches. While never knowing that you can legally tell them "No." if you don't want them boarding you. Then claiming what they are doing is illegal.

You can't tell them no, that's the whole reason why you hear the complaints. I get boarded about every third or fourth time I go out and it's always in the same spot. They're nice about it though, atleast. Last time they told me I don't need flares cause I don't go more than a couple miles away from land.
fishmaster273 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:32 AM
  #90  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,388
Default

Originally Posted by fish772 View Post
I can't figure out any reason for the original post other than a self pat on the back.
Or this being a discussion forum, he did it for the sake of discussing something boating related. Something that hasn't been discussed to death at that. Something that in the context of the broader discussions involving the Coast Guard here on THT certainly has a place. Something that you just had to respond to. Seems to me the OP launched a winning topic of discussion.
First Light, mgd, mdees88 and 1 others like this.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM
  #91  
mgd
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 615
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Or this being a discussion forum, he did it for the sake of discussing something boating related. Something that hasn't been discussed to death at that. Something that in the context of the broader discussions involving the Coast Guard here on THT certainly has a place. Something that you just had to respond to. Seems to me the OP launched a winning topic of discussion.
ABSOLUTELY.
And those that think he is looking for accolades....not everyone NEEDS that pat on the back to just do something bc it's a good thing to do.
Sad where we have come to as a society

THT Mod 11 likes this.
mgd is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM
  #92  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,388
Default

Originally Posted by mgd View Post
ABSOLUTELY.
And those that think he is looking for accolades....not everyone NEEDS that pat on the back to just do something bc it's a good thing to do.
Sad where we have come to as a society
It's also sad that some NEED to point out fault anywhere they can find it, imagine it or create it. But is that not where we are as a society, especially on social media?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM
  #93  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,037
Default

If you have the opportunity to take Coastie's to lunch, by pass Mexican. We waited 15 minutes without service until I went back to the kitchen to explain to the wait staff huddled there that the men in blue uniforms were for inspected class vessels we were building, and not I.C.E. We all had a good laugh.
mgd likes this.
Otseg is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 PM
  #94  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 18,845
Default

Originally Posted by Otseg View Post
If you have the opportunity to take Coastie's to lunch, by pass Mexican. We waited 15 minutes without service until I went back to the kitchen to explain to the wait staff huddled there that the men in blue uniforms were for inspected class vessels we were building, and not I.C.E. We all had a good laugh.
Now that's funny!
First Light is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM
  #95  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Default Uscg

Originally Posted by NPH View Post
I was out this weekend, and stopped at a public dock to go into town for lunch. While we were eating, here come 4 USCG personnel for lunch. After they ordered, I asked our waitress for if they were done ordering, and if so I wanted their check. After I paid it, she asked me if I wanted her to tell them who paid it. I told her it did not matter to me. They were all very grateful, and thanked me. My response was, just remember when I am sinking come quick. When i got back to the dock they were still there, and asked if I wanted a boarding inspection, and I could say no if I wanted to, I was quick and they were all very courteous.

While I was not expecting to see them again after lunch it was fun talking to them while they did the inspection.
Not all get BAH, most of the Coast Guard you see out on small boats are living at their stations. The USCG can board any boat they want. They often are on US Navy ships so that the Navy can stop ships, they actually have more authority then the Navy.
Bamtango7 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM
  #96  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: alaska
Posts: 4
Default

God bless the Coast Guard. Ive been boarded a few times and always have been treated with professionalism and respect. Upon inquiring if I had a weapon on board and replying in the affirmative once was told If you dont go for yours we wont go for ours. Got a chuckle over that. Boating in Alaska if my ass is ever hanging in the wind I know the Coast Guard will put their own lives on the line and its a comforting thought. It takes a serious set of cajones for a rescue swimmer to deploy from a chopper in the ocean during a storm or descend on the hook on a pitching deck to attend to a person they have never met before. A meal bought for a crew is just a small thank you for those who are far from home and occasionally sacrifice their lives in service to their country.
Rico2 likes this.
valdezdrifter is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:21 PM
  #97  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,053
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
I would be interested to know the stats if the USCG or even any local water LEO EVER recovered a stolen vessel that they discovered on a routine safety stop and registration check. Seems like the only thing they have found (just based on decades of observations and discussions) has been expired registration which could be found on most boat just by looking at the sticker by the registration numbers.
Stolen boats have been recovered by law enforcement. Usually being used by drug smugglers or human traffickers. And the drug seizures and human trafficking are almost weekly staples in South Florida. But forget the big cases. Look at how many BUI arrests are the result of routine inspections and if that doesn't justify it for most boaters, I'm not sure anything would.
joediaz is online now  
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 2,623
Default

Originally Posted by joediaz View Post
Stolen boats have been recovered by law enforcement. Usually being used by drug smugglers or human traffickers. And the drug seizures and human trafficking are almost weekly staples in South Florida. But forget the big cases. Look at how many BUI arrests are the result of routine inspections and if that doesn't justify it for most boaters, I'm not sure anything would.
Go to Green Cove Springs and see all the impounded boats. See how well taken care if and owners there to get back thier property. See all this Miami engines recovered. Maybe 1 in 100.
Jumpsummo is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 AM
  #99  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 478
Default

Originally Posted by luckymonkey View Post
I was boarded by the Coast Guard for the first time this weekend in Freeport, TX. Second time the boat was boarded because my father had it out about a month ago. Reading THT I knew what to expect. I also knew that since I kept the yellow copy of the boarding inspection that was done previously, this was going to be an easy inspection. After they asked me if i had any weapons (which I didn't) and I showed them the yellow copy. After reading it over and I was good to go, they invited my 7 year old son and his friend on board to check out THEIR boat. We spent 10 minutes or so talking and enjoying each other's company. My son and his friend were amazed at the "turret" on the bow as they pretended to shoot anything and everything around us.

It was a great experience and given the opportunity, I would do the same as the OP. Cheers to you @NPH.
I love reading that. That crew took what could have been an uncomfortable experience for the boaters and turned it into a positive encounter. Every Coast Guard boarding officer should endeavor to make every boarding they do a positive experience to the fullest extent possible. Those kids will likely forever view the Coast Guard and law enforcement in a favorable light as a result of that encounter. Next time the boaters hear a Coast Guard broadcast soliciting information or help they might be a little extra willing to jump in and help. I heartily endorse this kind of community building!
USCG Safe Boating D8 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 AM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
Default

Originally Posted by joediaz View Post
Stolen boats have been recovered by law enforcement. Usually being used by drug smugglers or human traffickers. And the drug seizures and human trafficking are almost weekly staples in South Florida. But forget the big cases. Look at how many BUI arrests are the result of routine inspections and if that doesn't justify it for most boaters, I'm not sure anything would.
It's pretty obvious that stolen boats are recovered by LEO (really? who else would be doing it??), but the question was how many (if ANY) have been recovered during a "SAFETY" STOP?

On your second point.. I have the exact same question?? How many have EVER been cited or caught just from a "Safety" stop?? This does NOT include those stops for "cause" because the boat was acting in a manner that the LEO thought might need some attention (erratic or unsafe behavior, likely due to an impaired skipper). I'd say those are minimal to NONE also.
km1125 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread