Notices
Like Tree132Likes

Safety check or harrasment?

Old 05-27-2019, 04:11 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 36
Default Safety check or harrasment?

I'm getting a little pissed off. In the last 12 months I was pulled over 7 times for "safety checks". Today I was pulled over while tubing. There were two officers a male and female. They pull up and the guy recognizes me from 3 other pull overs and says "he's good". The female starts a quip and states she needs to see all my gear. At this point I'm not happy as the guy said he knows my boat.

Long story short the bitch accuses the 4 of us for drinking. Not one on us had a single beverage! I told her she is out of line and I want another official boat to witness the harrasment. She refused. Finally her other partner told her to chill out. She was so pissed and they left.

Honestly, WTF! I'm over Florida enforcement on the water. Something needs to be done.
Empire is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 04:14 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,998
Default

Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I'm getting a little pissed off. In the last 12 months I was pulled over 7 times for "safety checks". Today I was pulled over while tubing. There were two officers a male and female. They pull up and the guy recognizes me from 3 other pull overs and says "he's good". The female starts a quip and states she needs to see all my gear. At this point I'm not happy as the guy said he knows my boat.

Long story short the bitch accuses the 4 of us for drinking. Not one on us had a single beverage! I told her she is out of line and I want another official boat to witness the harrasment. She refused. Finally her other partner told her to chill out. She was so pissed and they left.

Honestly, WTF! I'm over Florida enforcement on the water. Something needs to be done.
There's a Florida law against that...
billinstuart is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 04:19 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 6,458
Default

Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
There's a Florida law against that...
Yeah, I thought I recently read that a probable cause law was passed.
BACKTOTHESEA is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 04:30 PM
  #4  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,080
Default

Where is this happening in Florida? Real curious......
Sweetwater500 likes this.
KBH is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 04:59 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 268
Default


Was she hott??
Me and my buddy got checked at the ramp by a smoking hott FWC lady. We were hoping to get frisked and arrested.
Shipwreck1 is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 05:13 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by KBH View Post
Where is this happening in Florida? Real curious......
North Fl
Empire is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 36
Default

Originally Posted by Shipwreck1 View Post

Was she hott??
Me and my buddy got checked at the ramp by a smoking hott FWC lady. We were hoping to get frisked and arrested.
Absolutely not hot

Just a classic bitch face
Empire is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 05:22 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,974
Default

20 yrs ago I got stopped by every swinging dick with a badge on the water. The ex wife really filled out a bikini, smokin hot. Going fishing was no better. I’d always end up with boat loads of hard legs ooogling her to the point it was irritating. I’d anchor off the rocks of south pass in Venice and it was a nuisance. All that water and all those places to fish and I’d end up with 8 boats surrounding me every time she came fishing. East bay was a little better until we went to a manned rig. Offshore was a none issue.
alligatorgar is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 05:25 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 100
Default

Yeah but how did you feel about her Empire? Seriously, don't bottle it up --- let us know.

Only time I've ever been stopped was in St Joseph Bay in Florida. I'm glad I was thoroughly in check because I could see how many of the simple regulations could be forgotten or overlooked. My young son was there so I'm glad I set a good example. But so did the law enforcement. He was cool.

I'm in Atlanta area.
TheRule is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 861
Default

Every time I’ve been courtesy checked by the FWC or cops they left me with some paperwork that basically said I was good for 6months.
Hossharris is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:51 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 187
Default

Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I'm getting a little pissed off. In the last 12 months I was pulled over 7 times for "safety checks". Today I was pulled over while tubing. There were two officers a male and female. They pull up and the guy recognizes me from 3 other pull overs and says "he's good". The female starts a quip and states she needs to see all my gear. At this point I'm not happy as the guy said he knows my boat.

Long story short the bitch accuses the 4 of us for drinking. Not one on us had a single beverage! I told her she is out of line and I want another official boat to witness the harrasment. She refused. Finally her other partner told her to chill out. She was so pissed and they left.

Honestly, WTF! I'm over Florida enforcement on the water. Something needs to be done.
I was wondering why they wear plate armor while counting fishes and crustaceans...
RhodyFirsh401 likes this.
Kaper is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,195
Default

Maybe too late now but always document the safety stops. Get #’s time , date , place. If it happen more then a few times go right to their office and file a complaint. ;eat their boss know what they are doing.
fireisland1 is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,954
Default

Originally Posted by Kaper View Post


I was wondering why they wear plate armor while counting fishes and crustaceans...

it’s to offset the effect of their flotation device Plus, you never know when a stray mullet might jump out of the water and hit them ! After all, they are known as the “ mullet Marshall”
Still Stoked is offline  
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: FL Panhandle
Posts: 1,010
Default

I got stopped by FWC yesterday. Probably the first time I haven't been stopped multiple times on MDW. Amazing how some can be real cool and some couldn't be bigger d-bags. Some are also just very out of place in their profession. Yesterday had 12 onboard, majority 30+/- year old females, coming back from a barrier island hangout spot. Boat full of rafts, not 1 fishing rod. Officer that boarded wasn't too bad but was more "professional" than "friendly". I prefer the type that will cut up with you but to each their own. He was adamant to check every hatch & cooler for fish. My future bride proceeded to tell him that when we saw them coming we threw all the fishing rods overboard and hid all the red snapper so good they will never find them.

I believe there is a safety decal you can get that then warrants "probable cause" to be stopped? I am 100% cool with being stopped and fish checked as long as the officers are reasonable humans - and not doing so out in front of a tournament weigh in with boats trying to make a time.
clamc, wdlfbio and N747JB like this.
Southern Hooker is online now  
Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 479
Default





this is what I think when someone defends these revenue searches. When LE is given the authority to violate your rights they will 100% of the time.
clockwork is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:33 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 1,788
Default

Just "thinking via the keyboard" here, and not being accusative, as I know nothing about you or the Florida enforcers, but is it possible that your boating is what's attracting their attention?

Here in southeastern NC, where the USCG, county sheriffs and Fish and Wildlife enforcers all have the right to board and inspect, and the only boats I see being boarded are the folks demonstrating unsafe actions.
raybark is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:40 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 27
Default

Maybe naming your boat Booze Runner wasn't that bright of an idea?
jubal is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:43 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,920
Default

Originally Posted by alligatorgar View Post
20 yrs ago I got stopped by every swinging dick with a badge on the water. The ex wife really filled out a bikini, smokin hot. Going fishing was no better. I’d always end up with boat loads of hard legs ooogling her to the point it was irritating. I’d anchor off the rocks of south pass in Venice and it was a nuisance. All that water and all those places to fish and I’d end up with 8 boats surrounding me every time she came fishing. East bay was a little better until we went to a manned rig. Offshore was a none issue.
Would it have been better if she was ugly and you never got stopped?
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:46 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,585
Default

The constitution which they have sworn to uphold is quite clear on search and seizure without a warrant.
tomanyboats is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 625
Default

Originally Posted by raybark View Post
Just "thinking via the keyboard" here, and not being accusative, as I know nothing about you or the Florida enforcers, but is it possible that your boating is what's attracting their attention?

Here in southeastern NC, where the USCG, county sheriffs and Fish and Wildlife enforcers all have the right to board and inspect, and the only boats I see being boarded are the folks demonstrating unsafe actions.
Might be something here. I can typically predict which boats the local law enforcement is planning on pulling over for a random safety check.
oldjeep is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread