Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

How much is this repair going to run me?

Notices
Like Tree29Likes

How much is this repair going to run me?

Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Angry How much is this repair going to run me?

My family has a Angler 230 VBX. It has never been kept in water for more than a few hours outside of run-time, and is meticulously maintained. We, my father and I, have done full re wiring and upholstery along with countless hours of other maintenance. It is fully washed and cleaned every time we take it off the water. I live in MA so it is kept outside during winter, shrink wrapped and engine fully covered. We just got done rewiring everything for new nav and sonars, along with removing old redundant wires. Today we took it out on the lake for a short run test. The boat has never hit anything harder than gently rubbing against a dock. I was helping re position one of the trailer guides and noticed underneath that a good 9' section of the gel coat is missing. It's honestly horrific. I am assuming that some water underneath the gel coat froze and expanded during winter and caused some defects or cracks in the coat. My guess is cruising at 45 mph completely delammed and stripped the coat. I have attached pictures of the damage. My dad is crushed, so I'm doing some preliminary research in his stead since it's not as big of a blow on me as it is him. I understand full well that generally there are precursors to this kind of failure but I cant find a single blister or defect anywhere on the hull except where the delam is. My guess is the failure happened over winter and the test today was too much stress on the coating.

I tried to find some quick pricing on what needs to be done but this is a little out of my league. How much would a repair of this nature cost and would it even be worth doing with how extensive it is?

The imgur link is imgur.com/a/BzNEhFN since I'm new here and can't add pictures to the post.

Last edited by mmcaree; 05-11-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Wrong imgur link
mmcaree is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 11:53 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 5,059
Default

Originally Posted by mmcaree View Post
My family has a Angler 230 VBX. It has never been kept in water for more than a few hours outside of run-time, and is meticulously maintained. We, my father and I, have done full re wiring and upholstery along with countless hours of other maintenance. It is fully washed and cleaned every time we take it off the water. I live in MA so it is kept outside during winter, shrink wrapped and engine fully covered. We just got done rewiring everything for new nav and sonars, along with removing old redundant wires. Today we took it out on the lake for a short run test. The boat has never hit anything harder than gently rubbing against a dock. I was helping re position one of the trailer guides and noticed underneath that a good 9' section of the gel coat is missing. It's honestly horrific. I am assuming that some water underneath the gel coat froze and expanded during winter and caused some defects or cracks in the coat. My guess is cruising at 45 mph completely delammed and stripped the coat. I have attached pictures of the damage. My dad is crushed, so I'm doing some preliminary research in his stead since it's not as big of a blow on me as it is him. I understand full well that generally there are precursors to this kind of failure but I cant find a single blister or defect anywhere on the hull except where the delam is. My guess is the failure happened over winter and the test today was too much stress on the coating.

I tried to find some quick pricing on what needs to be done but this is a little out of my league. How much would a repair of this nature cost and would it even be worth doing with how extensive it is?

The imgur link is imgur.com/a/BzNEhFN since I'm new here and can't add pictures to the post.
The xperts here would all need to see a picture of what you are talking about.
mdees88 likes this.
barrell is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,362
Default


My guess $2500.00
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
The xperts here would all need to see a picture of what you are talking about.
Should be all up now. Had to edit the link, sorry about that!
mmcaree is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Here's some of his photos. Ouch....







Onewolf is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:14 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 113
Default

I’m thinking you are right on the water intrusion and freezing, but think you are low on the repair estimate.
tangent70, mdees88 and MaddMac like this.
Tx Skiff is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:17 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,760
Default

typical with those boats, they are build paper thin with no good structure, repair is very involved
if that boat is insured it is likely a total loss

its not water that got in there, the hull "oil canned" and blew itself apart
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:19 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,974
Default

Originally Posted by Schmaltz~Herring View Post

My guess $2500.00
maybe $2500-5000 for an independent guy but any yard/dealer is going to probably charge over $10-20k if its even repairable

Last edited by mystery; 05-12-2019 at 05:51 AM.
mystery is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:19 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
typical with those boats, they are build paper thin with no good structure, repair is very involved
if that boat is insured it is likely a total loss

its not water that got in there, the hull "oil canned" and blew itself apart
It is insured so that's a moderate plus. Thanks for the insight!
mmcaree is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,974
Default

Originally Posted by mmcaree View Post
It is insured so that's a moderate plus. Thanks for the insight!
you really need to get local estimates instead of asking on an internet forum...
mdees88 and mmcaree like this.
mystery is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:27 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,760
Default

listen to me, push up on that area with your hand, drill a hole in it- you will see how thin it is with foam behind it. ( best done with the boat not resting on the trailer )

the glass delaminates from the foam on the inside. once that happens it starts to oil can and just like that bridge that shook itself apart your boat shook itself apart

this is not a simple repair. Repair from the outside only is a waste of time.

Ive seen it before with these boats

Last edited by Raybo Marine NY; 05-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,760
Default

Originally Posted by mmcaree View Post
It is insured so that's a moderate plus. Thanks for the insight!
it will likely be considered a total loss

if it has a good engine consider buying the salvage and putting that engine on a different boat, or just getting another boat

philgorp likes this.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:36 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 3,411
Default .

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
listen to me, push up on that area with your hand, drill a hole in it- you will see how thin it is with foam behind it.

the glass delaminates from the foam on the inside. once that happens it starts to oil can and just like that bridge that shook itself apart your boat shook itself apart

this is not a simple repair. Repair from the outside only is a waste of time.

Ive seen it before with these boats
Donít always agree with Raybo but heís usually on the money. It can be repaired but itís going to cost more than buying another used solid hull, and the hull has already failed. Could you use your boat as a donor boat for a new to you hull? Hate this for you, had a similar situation with a Baja back in the 90ís.....
nc_robbie75 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:38 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,760
Default

Originally Posted by nc_robbie75 View Post

Don’t always agree with Raybo had a similar situation with a Baja back in the 90’s.....

i didnt realize we were a thing lol

baja speed boat or baja cruiser? the bajas had balsa core bottoms would fall apart when they got wet
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:43 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 3,411
Default .

Originally Posted by Raybo Marine NY View Post
i didnt realize we were a thing lol

baja speed boat or baja cruiser? the bajas had balsa core bottoms would fall apart when they got wet
It was a speed boat hot and fast, I was going to ride all the girls around that summer.....instead was a lifeguard in Myrtle Beach SC so that summer worked out after all.
Raybo Marine NY likes this.
nc_robbie75 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:46 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,362
Default

I'm revising my estimate to conform with Mr. Rambo, it's a total.
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:46 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,760
Default

bajas would peel like a banana once that bottom started to rot
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:49 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dacman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Summerville SC
Posts: 7,172
Default

I would wait to here from the expert in China on this one.
That would make me sick .
Dacman is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:52 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 207
Default

Wow thatís a bummer , my buddyís outrage did the same thing 50 miles offshore on a flat calm day, never hit anything. Insurance company had it as a total loses.
offsethooker is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 12:53 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,992
Default

Originally Posted by Dacman View Post
I would wait to here from the expert in China on this one.
That would make me sick .
Yes, the king of fiberglass shower enclosures will be able to narrow that right down.
mikee332 and Lookinup76 like this.
MilesExpress is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread