Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Barker Boatworks Bankruptcy and Sold?

Notices
Like Tree26Likes

Barker Boatworks Bankruptcy and Sold?

Old 05-04-2019, 03:12 PM
  #21  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 1,425
Default

Originally Posted by Cpfitness View Post
this is old news, there is a massive thread about this already
The "BOONDOGGLE" thread??

I had to quit that one. Too many people concerning themselves with what others do with their money and boat deposits.
ChrisW21 is offline  
Old 05-04-2019, 03:13 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,346
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisW21 View Post
Doesn't look like a rumor to me!




Who is "Strike Force Seven"?

Anyone willing to make a higher bid and go in to the boat business??
Hmm Albert Jarrell who is the owner of Canyon Bay...
FusionZ06 is offline  
Old 05-04-2019, 03:15 PM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SWFL
Posts: 240
Default

Mogan Master is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:22 AM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,146
Default

For Immediate Release
July 9, 2019
Contacts: Kevin Barker, 941-232-8646
www.barkerboatworks.com
Ross Toepel, 863-738-0721
www.sf7boats.com

Barker Boatworks Announces New Direction, Expanding Line-Up

Sarasota, Florida; July 9, 2019:
Kevin Barker, president of Barker Boatworks, today announced a series of organizational changes and expansion as the semi-custom builder embarks on a renewed emphasis to produce high performance sport-fishing boats. Barker Boatworks has been in business since 2014.

“We’ve just completed our re-structuring and with our new ownership, we are revitalizing and expanding the company,” Barker says. “With the infusion of capital and additional resources, we’re again building and delivering semi-custom fishing boats to buyers who demand yacht-like quality, attention to detail and exceptional performance.” Barker Boatworks will continue to use Michael Peters Yacht Design to develop new models.

Al Jarrell, owner of Strike Force 7 LLC, is the owner of the re-organized company. Jarrell also owns Canyon Bay Boats and Perry Composite Manufacturing in Perry, Florida. The business operations will be handled by Chief Executive Officer Ross Toepel. There will be several collaborations between the Strike Force 7 Companies as production of Barker Boats continues to ramp up.

“All the fiberglass components for Barkers will be built at the Perry Composite Manufacturing facility in Perry, Florida” Barker explains. “We are excited to have a world-class manufacturing facility delivering high quality fiberglass hulls, decks and components using the same materials and infusion processes as before.” Barker continues, “We will then complete the manufacturing of the boats at our Sarasota location with our experienced team of finishers, assemblers and riggers”.

Toepel says, “There will be certain common parts shared between Barker and Canyon Bay, but the two lines will maintain separate sales and marketing efforts.”l Kevin Barker will handle the production, sales and marketing of the Barker line. Models will include the 26 Bay, 26 Open and 40 High Performance Catamaran under the Barker flag, while Toepel and his Canyon Bay Team will produce the 18 Flats, 22 Bay, 24 Bay, 24 and 28 Hybrid Bay Boat. A 40-foot Barker monohull with a dual step V-bottom is in the design phase. A 41 Express and Walkaround based on the Legend hull will be produced as a limited production custom model with outboard power as well.

Since its initial launch, the Barker Bay has earned a loyal following for performance, impeccable fit and finish and thoughtful angling features. Both the Bay and Open hulls come with the Michael Peters’ Stepped-Vee Ventilated Tunnel design. Attributes of the low drag co-efficient hull include increased speed, better fuel economy and a soft, sure ride compared to conventional stepped hulls.

Barker Boatworks is an OEM partner with Mercury Marine. Yamaha and Suzuki Outboards will also be a power option. Garmin Marine, Simrad and Raymarine electronic packages will be offered. Since each Barker is made to order, every one launched bears the owner’s preference and distinct style.

For more information about the Barker Boatworks line-up, the build process and future models, please visit: www.barkerboatworks.com andwww.sf7boats.com
amofgreenville is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:38 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the 727, FLA
Posts: 2,624
Default

Was just reading that on FB - interesting they say build parts in Perry and assemble in Sarasota, seems inefficient.

Last edited by Reel Irie; 07-11-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Reel Irie is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 2,048
Default

I've always loved how companies can screw over previous clients, suppliers, customers through bankruptcy; then be so excited to restructure. But what else can you say? We screwed up and now were trying again. American way I suppose.

If I was a customer I wouldn't give Barker an inch. But then again I'm poor, so my opinion on the subject doesn't much matter.

I do hope they get their $hit together. I miss the days when we had multiple boat manufacturers in our back yard.
lazyboi1212 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,820
Default

Originally Posted by lazyboi1212 View Post
I've always loved how companies can screw over previous clients, suppliers, customers through bankruptcy; then be so excited to restructure. But what else can you say? We screwed up and now were trying again. American way I suppose.

If I was a customer I wouldn't give Barker an inch. But then again I'm poor, so my opinion on the subject doesn't much matter.

I do hope they get their $hit together. I miss the days when we had multiple boat manufacturers in our back yard.
As bad as bankruptcy may be, consider the options. They could be worse.

alloyboy is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:59 AM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,397
Default

Originally Posted by lazyboi1212 View Post
I've always loved how companies can screw over previous clients, suppliers, customers through bankruptcy; then be so excited to restructure. But what else can you say? We screwed up and now were trying again. American way I suppose.

If I was a customer I wouldn't give Barker an inch. But then again I'm poor, so my opinion on the subject doesn't much matter.

I do hope they get their $hit together. I miss the days when we had multiple boat manufacturers in our back yard.
Not taking up for anyone, and not sure how it is going to work out but from previous threads on this topic new owners is filling orders from old clients with deposits. As for customers this is the best outcome that could happen in this situation. As for vendors, not sure if they are getting paid or not ,but would be extremly hard for them to move forward as they have stated without making the vendors whole.
smccormick and Windwood like this.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 9,820
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Not taking up for anyone, and not sure how it is going to work out but from previous threads on this topic new owners is filling orders from old clients with deposits. As for customers this is the best outcome that could happen in this situation. As for vendors, not sure if they are getting paid or not ,but would be extremly hard for them to move forward as they have stated without making the vendors whole.
Lots of times vendors are not made whole. Oft times they settle for x pennys on the dollar. They can then take a tax write off for the damages they suffered. They then get on with life.

For a vendor this is at times preferable to a major customer going belly up, leaving them without any further purchases from a deceased company. Just part of doing business.
alloyboy is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 AM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,397
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Lots of times vendors are not made whole. Oft times they settle for x pennys on the dollar. They can then take a tax write off for the damages they suffered. They then get on with life.

For a vendor this is at times preferable to a major customer going belly up, leaving them without any further purchases from a deceased company. Just part of doing business.
Understood, as we do the same at times. But in this case with the new owners stating that they are moving forward with the exact same boats that Baker was building, and that the are moving forward with the exact same CAT hull and large V-hull that was in the works before all this took place. The vendors that were working with Baker in the past will have to be used in the future. Settling and taking a loss may not be in there best interest, the tax write off is not as great as it sounds.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 680
Default

I have no dog in this fight, but I have a lot of respect for Canyon Bay, I say give them a minute to see if they can make right... This is NOT Basspro buying a brand where you can guess the outcome.
Gunner38 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:39 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 216
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Not taking up for anyone, and not sure how it is going to work out but from previous threads on this topic new owners is filling orders from old clients with deposits. As for customers this is the best outcome that could happen in this situation. As for vendors, not sure if they are getting paid or not ,but would be extremly hard for them to move forward as they have stated without making the vendors whole.
Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Lots of times vendors are not made whole. Oft times they settle for x pennys on the dollar. They can then take a tax write off for the damages they suffered. They then get on with life.

For a vendor this is at times preferable to a major customer going belly up, leaving them without any further purchases from a deceased company. Just part of doing business.
Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Understood, as we do the same at times. But in this case with the new owners stating that they are moving forward with the exact same boats that Baker was building, and that the are moving forward with the exact same CAT hull and large V-hull that was in the works before all this took place. The vendors that were working with Baker in the past will have to be used in the future. Settling and taking a loss may not be in there best interest, the tax write off is not as great as it sounds.
If you looked at the original BK filing, you didn’t see parts suppliers on the largest creditors list. So he may have been COD with them or otherwise not totally behind paying suppliers.
gofastsandman likes this.
JONOV is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 428
Default

Originally Posted by amofgreenville View Post

Toepel says, “There will be certain common parts shared between Barker and Canyon Bay, but the two lines will maintain separate sales and marketing efforts.”l Kevin Barker will handle the production, sales and marketing of the Barker line. Models will include the 26 Bay, 26 Open and 40 High Performance Catamaran under the Barker flag, while Toepel and his Canyon Bay Team will produce the 18 Flats, 22 Bay, 24 Bay, 24 and 28 Hybrid Bay Boat. A 40-foot Barker monohull with a dual step V-bottom is in the design phase. A 41 Express and Walkaround based on the Legend hull will be produced as a limited production custom model with outboard power as well.
Interested in the part about bringing back the Legend express. The 37 and the Predator 35 before it (that Egg Harbor ruined) were awesome pre-preg carbon fiber hulls that really pushed the limits of lightweight boats. Big $$$ but would be awesome to see it back with the outboard power and the gyros we have now.
seaquin is online now  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:32 PM
  #34  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,310
Default

Originally Posted by pvillere View Post
Does anyone know what has happened to Barker Boatworks and Kevin Barker? There are many posts dating back a year or two, but we were talking to him as recently as several weeks ago trying to get some factory support. Now, nothing.... what is most curious is that the phone number for the company shown on their website is the same as Kevin's cellphone number. Not a good sign, when all voice comunicaations for a boat builder goes through the owner's cellphone, indicating there are no connected landlines. Sounds to me like he is shut down. Can anyone in the Sarasota area confirm my suspicions?
You forget about your thread?

dcgator likes this.
gofastsandman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread