Notices
Like Tree5Likes

Tree Frogs and Outboards...

Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 49
Default Tree Frogs and Outboards...

The other day I pulled the engine cover on a 150 Yam 4 stroke to clean out the drain holes. I removed the inside cowl and found a whole family of tree frogs. After I got everything back together, a friend of mine and I were sitting in the shop looking at the back of the boat and I saw, I am guessing, one of the frogs I placed 30' away back into the woods, jump onto the driveway. I said "lookey there", so we watched this thing hop all the way to the back of the boat and then that sucker jumped right into the exhaust ports in the prop. I took the long way around so he wouldn't see me and spun the prop and out he came. I stuffed a rag all around in there. Jeezzzz.

I am thinking he could have made it to the exhaust valves. Any mechanics want to chime in on this?

Any other places they could get if they made it to the inside top of the engine?

I once started a tractor and blew one out the stack all covered in soot. Glad it didn't go the other way. Now I stuff the stacks.
saln is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 06:31 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Republic of DelMarVa
Posts: 355
Default

I find them everywhere, but haven’t thought about them inside the exhaust. Throughout the day I have them come out of scuppers, rod holders, etc..
Yellow Fever is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: St Pete, FL
Posts: 1,140
Default

I'm pretty forgiving of those things, but that's where I would draw the line.
EricF is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:37 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 97
Default

An exhaust valve wouldn’t even know that frog was there. It would be like wet bread in a garbage disposal. That said, frogs, being amphibians, absorb things through their skin, and would likely become uncomfortable as they made their way up into the dry portion of the exhaust.
MDedgewater is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 266
Default

They make great live bait!
Jumpsummo likes this.
OldBigBucks is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 07:47 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 9,206
Default

They came in through the vent in the cowling on the back or through the rigging tube is the only thing that I can think of. I cant imagine they made it from the prop and out the intake. Doesnt seem logical.
captbone is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 706
Default

I have thought about putting something like steel wool in the exhaust during the winter to ensure that mice do not make their way inside.
R Days is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:55 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,671
Default

Don't mind them. They were just checking out the ribbits. Lol
SeaCat22 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 03:05 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 156
Default

A friend of mine had somewhat of a similar issue. Apparently a small lizard crawled into his water hose. When he attached the hose to his outboard to flush the motor the water pressure shit the lizard up into the motor and plugged the cooling ports. The Yamaha technician eventually found it and pulled it out.
NoPlan is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 49
Default

Originally Posted by captbone View Post
They came in through the vent in the cowling on the back or through the rigging tube is the only thing that I can think of. I cant imagine they made it from the prop and out the intake. Doesnt seem logical.
I dont know what the one who jumped into the prop had on his mind, I doubt he could get under the cover taking that route, in and out the cylinders...

What I was wondering is if they get up under the cowl (like the family of them did) in the cover, is there any way they can get into the engine from there? To ask... is there an air filter on these things? Or just an open port leading to the intake with no screen over it? Need to check it out.
saln is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 8,776
Default

Originally Posted by saln View Post
I dont know what the one who jumped into the prop had on his mind, I doubt he could get under the cover taking that route, in and out the cylinders...

What I was wondering is if they get up under the cowl (like the family of them did) in the cover, is there any way they can get into the engine from there? To ask... is there an air filter on these things? Or just an open port leading to the intake with no screen over it? Need to check it out.
My 200 has a screen over the intake. The mesh seems small enough to keep out any bugs that are big enough to create problems downstream.
Cobia 217 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:28 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 9,250
Default

Friend of mine gets them all the time. He had surgery last fall and wouldn’t be able to boat for a month +. He covered the motors in shrink wrap. Lol
WPBTH is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:57 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 254
Default

I had a big frog appear on the boat when we were about 5 miles out yesterday. Not sure where he was hiding.
blake0723 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,739
Default

Originally Posted by Cobia 217 View Post
My 200 has a screen over the intake. The mesh seems small enough to keep out any bugs that are big enough to create problems downstream.
They all do, else they would suck up little fish and all sorts of junk. Not really sure how a lizard would get into a motor's cooling passages to cause a problem unless a screen was broken or something...
acme54321 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 49
Default

Originally Posted by acme54321 View Post
They all do, else they would suck up little fish and all sorts of junk. Not really sure how a lizard would get into a motor's cooling passages to cause a problem unless a screen was broken or something...
I believe he's talking an air screen,for the carbs/efi system.
saln is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:17 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,214
Default

There are vents in the cowl, usually near the top at the back, that a tree frog can get in. I imagine a motor cover would keep them out.
gfretwell is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:25 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 266
Default

Originally Posted by blake0723 View Post
I had a big frog appear on the boat when we were about 5 miles out yesterday. Not sure where he was hiding.
I was not kidding before. You should have bridled it up and put it out for the long kite bait!
OldBigBucks is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:28 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 254
Default

Originally Posted by OldBigBucks View Post
I was not kidding before. You should have bridled it up and put it out for the long kite bait!
My wife said I should use it as bait and I ignored her.... oh well.
blake0723 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 11:28 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Saint Cloud, FL
Posts: 54
Default

Those things are all over the place and will get anywhere they can to stay cool once the sun comes out. We cleaned the boat top to bottom Saturday, climb in it on Sunday and find 3 frogs all in different compartments that were each cleaned less than 24 hours before. The best is when one of the girls opens a compartment and a frog jumps out on them...talk about entertainment!

I wouldn't worry about a frog causing any performance issues with the boat though. They're soft and would likely crawl/get blown out of wherever they were once things got underway.
Slickwilly is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 12:17 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,739
Default

Originally Posted by saln View Post
I believe he's talking an air screen,for the carbs/efi system.

Yeah not sure what happened I got his post and the one about the lizard in the cooling passages all mixed up. But they all have screens on the air intake too!
acme54321 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread