The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree25Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #5221
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I just saw this on eBay....wow it is ugly for sure!!!
Notice the triple axel trailer and the "shadow" with hands to head. "Why the F*** did I buy this?

Hoping to visit NC in a couple weeks, sure will miss seeing Buck. May stop by the boat shed to see what is happening.
muskrattown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #5222
Administrator
 
THT Mod 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,770
Default

One year ago, I had breakfast with Buck at IHOP while he was on the way to the Boat Show. I went to show yesterday, and here I am Sunday AM with the show in town and all I can think of is, wow - how much can change in one year. Miss ya.
Lprizman likes this.
THT Mod 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #5223
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT Mod 7 View Post
One year ago, I had breakfast with Buck at IHOP while he was on the way to the Boat Show. I went to show yesterday, and here I am Sunday AM with the show in town and all I can think of is, wow - how much can change in one year. Miss ya.
So sorry I didn't go to the show last year with him when he asked. I saw him regular enough, but that extra time would have meant so much now...
cape_fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #5224
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 961
Default

My wife and I will be in Oriental for about 5 days starting late Thursday 11/16 till the following Sunday/Monday. We will try to come and say hi to Thumper at Harker's.

We have been drawn to the area 10 years and counting for the reasons that this thread covers.
muskrattown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #5225
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrattown View Post
My wife and I will be in Oriental for about 5 days starting late Thursday 11/16 till the following Sunday/Monday. We will try to come and say hi to Thumper at Harker's.

We have been drawn to the area 10 years and counting for the reasons that this thread covers.
If your referring to me I'm not a Harkers off. I am an Atlantic off.
If you are not referring to me who is this other Thumper ? Hehe
ThumperVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #5226
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 8,328
Default

Bill Jones


We had moved to Barnstable from Padanaram, Ma, when I was in the spring of second grade.

Bill ran the local Gulf station. Ding ding said the air hose as you pulled in and he or one of the
BVM would come out to fill her up, check your oil, and add air to your tire


Bill ran a school more than a filling station.
I had a flat with my bike and he asked me how I would fix it.
I said with a screwdriver and a patch kit.

He brought me over by the tire machine.
He showed me the benefit of bicycle tire irons.
Then I saw the hot patch.
He lit the rubber cement.

I heard he had 3,000 folks at his funeral.

Last edited by gofastsandman; 11-11-2017 at 04:09 PM. Reason: BVM
gofastsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #5227
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St Augustine, Fl
Posts: 452
Default

The passing of a man like Buck leaves an eternal absence of a special kind of wisdom. It is a wisdom built upon years of hard work and life experiences.

Reading these stories was not unlike watching an artist create on a fresh canvas.

Buck inspired others to live in the moment. Savor the moment. Share it with friends, so you don't forget. Listen to others as they share their lives with you. Memories are a fragile thing and fade easily.

Experiences appreciate in value as they are shared, and Buck was a master.

We will not forget you, Buck.

Da Bird
cape_fisherman likes this.
blue bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #5228
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
The passing of a man like Buck leaves an eternal absence of a special kind of wisdom. It is a wisdom built upon years of hard work and life experiences.

Reading these stories was not unlike watching an artist create on a fresh canvas.

Buck inspired others to live in the moment. Savor the moment. Share it with friends, so you don't forget. Listen to others as they share their lives with you. Memories are a fragile thing and fade easily.

Experiences appreciate in value as they are shared, and Buck was a master.

We will not forget you, Buck.

Da Bird
Art takes on many forms.

My Sister is now teaching small classes.

http://www.sarahgreenier.com/watercolor1-16.html
gofastsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #5229
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 8,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
The passing of a man like Buck leaves an eternal absence of a special kind of wisdom. It is a wisdom built upon years of hard work and life experiences.

Reading these stories was not unlike watching an artist create on a fresh canvas.

Buck inspired others to live in the moment. Savor the moment. Share it with friends, so you don't forget. Listen to others as they share their lives with you. Memories are a fragile thing and fade easily.

Experiences appreciate in value as they are shared, and Buck was a master.

We will not forget you, Buck.

Da Bird
http://www.sarahgreenier.com/watercolor1-16.html
gofastsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #5230
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Default

Code:
Laugh all you want but this boat was obviously made to travel around the world without the need to steer it!
DocGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #5231
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperVII View Post
If your referring to me I'm not a Harkers off. I am an Atlantic off.
If you are not referring to me who is this other Thumper ? Hehe
Not sure how I got the Harkers idea. What is the name of your place in Atlantic Beach?
muskrattown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #5232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,468
Default

It is just plain Ole Atlantic,NC. Not Atlantic Beach.Two different worlds.
cape_fisherman and jch53 like this.
ThumperVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #5233
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 961
Default

Yeah, ain't that the truth, that must be where I got the Harkers idea. My wife and I drove up there a couple years ago.

She asked me " Why did we come all the way up here?"
Now I will have an answer.
muskrattown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #5234
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrattown View Post
Yeah, ain't that the truth, that must be where I got the Harkers idea. My wife and I drove up there a couple years ago.

She asked me " Why did we come all the way up here?"
Now I will have an answer.
Lol
ThumperVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #5235
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 222
Default

I've been subscribed to this thread for about six or seven months. I found it one sleepless night in May or June, not sure how or why. It took me several days to get through the many pages of material. I found that it read like a novel, not a message board. The character development was superb. Buck had a way with words and I can't imagine how good his story telling was when you heard it directly from him.

To say I was disappointed in the news of Buck's passing was an understatement. For a man I'd never met, living in a place I once passed through to points distant, I felt like I knew him through his stories. I was so upset by the news that I couldn't bring myself to read through the rest of the pages, all containing what I am sure were many remeberances of a good man. Perhaps one day I will read it all, but I prefer to remain stuck at his last message. I will just pretend like I'm waiting for his next story in the meantime.
dr_bw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #5236
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whiteville NC / Little River SC
Posts: 3,955
Default

I rarely come here anymore. just aint the same though folks are trying to keep it going. Are there any friends that have shared this with his kin folks?
lumberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #5237
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bw View Post
I've been subscribed to this thread for about six or seven months. I found it one sleepless night in May or June, not sure how or why. It took me several days to get through the many pages of material. I found that it read like a novel, not a message board. The character development was superb. Buck had a way with words and I can't imagine how good his story telling was when you heard it directly from him.

To say I was disappointed in the news of Buck's passing was an understatement. For a man I'd never met, living in a place I once passed through to points distant, I felt like I knew him through his stories. I was so upset by the news that I couldn't bring myself to read through the rest of the pages, all containing what I am sure were many remeberances of a good man. Perhaps one day I will read it all, but I prefer to remain stuck at his last message. I will just pretend like I'm waiting for his next story in the meantime.
I believe we are all secretly wishing for the next story. In time...
ThumperVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 AM   #5238
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Default

D:
78vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #5239
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Hugh Wilde View Post
Well fellows, you have read about John Harris, the Doctor of Detroit Diesel, and Capt Leroy Gould, Mattie G II

Nobody ever had Detroits that didn't leak oil...... except for Leroy. He never ran them hard enough for them to leak. Cruise on the Mattie G was 1200 rpm on the old Gray Marines.
They had chromed valve covers and heat exchangers, and every day when he got in Leroy went in the bilge and wiped them down with a white rag and left the hatches up so the people on the dock could see all the chrome.
He didn't miss a trick.

Well one winter he got John over to the house to overhaul one of them, which John did, with both his normal perfection, and his normal level of profanity.

When John was done, they went for a test run in the sound.

When she got warmed up, Leroy put her on battle speed, 1200 turns.

John hollared at him to speed her up, so Leroy put her to the mat for him, 1300 rpm.

I know John was wearing that pout by then. He reached into this tool box and grabbed 2 screwdrivers.
He reached down on the governors and unclipped the control cables and shove both of them in the corner and shoved those screwdrivers in those old battle governors to hold her wide open.

They say that the rebuilt engine ran like a rocket, but the other engine started smoking and as Booger said , old shoes, half a kitchen sink, and 3 or 4 pepsi bottles came out of that other one as she cleared all the carbon out.

The old Mattie was running down the sound about 18 knots and I am sure Leroy was fit to be tied, but John had the engines and Leroy was SOL.

Finally, after about 15 mins, John hooked the controls back up and gave her back to Leroy who pulled her back to 1200 rpm as fast as he could.

Old John was just grinning and I am sure Leroy was pissed, but what could you do with John Harris, he was going to do what he wanted, when he wanted.

I bet Leroy lectured John when they got back to the dock. And I also bet, as John backed out of there in his old station wagon, he reached under the seat, and got his pint, and had a drink. And had a laugh or two on the way home, at Leroy's expense.
I just want to let those members that have not had the chance to start somewhere. Before you know it they will be back to page #1.
Heading that way tomorrow morning for a few days. Between the dogs and wife getting my attention I am hoping to at least say hello to a couple of Buck's friends.
muskrattown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #5240
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlantic, NC & Powhatan, Va
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrattown View Post
I just want to let those members that have not had the chance to start somewhere. Before you know it they will be back to page #1.
Heading that way tomorrow morning for a few days. Between the dogs and wife getting my attention I am hoping to at least say hello to a couple of Buck's friends.
Enjoy your stay.
ThumperVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.