Notices
Like Tree121Likes

Building a 27 Custom Express

Old 09-23-2017, 09:27 AM
  #5641  
GCC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

Another great trip...
Attached Images      
GCC is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 AM
  #5642  
GCC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

More...
Attached Images      
GCC is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 09:41 AM
  #5643  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gautier, MS
Posts: 285
Default

Awesome! Your boat looks great! I think you blew by me yesterday around 4pm just inside the Horn Island pass. I was in the wooden sportfisherman that is similar in color as yours. Looked like you were running well.
Safari III is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 10:22 AM
  #5644  
GCC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

Originally Posted by Safari III View Post
Awesome! Your boat looks great! I think you blew by me yesterday around 4pm just inside the Horn Island pass. I was in the wooden sportfisherman that is similar in color as yours. Looked like you were running well.
Crazy that you made this post, I was wondering what make/who the builder of that boat was! Small world. Yea we were running 54kts through the area where we passed you. So what's the story on your boat?
GCC is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM
  #5645  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gautier, MS
Posts: 285
Default

I knew you were skipping along pretty good. I had to double check and make sure we were still clutched in! Lol.. I was headed in from out front. We were sinking a 50' steel hull sailboat just south of the island. I actually came in early as I had an engine running warm and didn't stay to see it sink to the bottom.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/206995...?ref=bookmarks

Our boat was built in Spanish Fort in 1986. I picked her up at an auction. She is framed with cypress and planked in juniper. Cut right out of the Mobile Delta. She had sunk once before I bought her and then again after Katrina. I have a few pictures over at this thread http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...fisherman.html

I have followed your thread since day one and admired your craftsmanship and dedication. I still have a lot to do and would love to get some advice from you on the best route to go about it. Right now I am in the process of glassing and fairing the back deck. Actually started over a year ago but have had a few setbacks.
Safari III is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 12:18 PM
  #5646  
GCC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

Originally Posted by Safari III View Post
I knew you were skipping along pretty good. I had to double check and make sure we were still clutched in! Lol.. I was headed in from out front. We were sinking a 50' steel hull sailboat just south of the island. I actually came in early as I had an engine running warm and didn't stay to see it sink to the bottom.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/206995...?ref=bookmarks

Our boat was built in Spanish Fort in 1986. I picked her up at an auction. She is framed with cypress and planked in juniper. Cut right out of the Mobile Delta. She had sunk once before I bought her and then again after Katrina. I have a few pictures over at this thread http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...fisherman.html

I have followed your thread since day one and admired your craftsmanship and dedication. I still have a lot to do and would love to get some advice from you on the best route to go about it. Right now I am in the process of glassing and fairing the back deck. Actually started over a year ago but have had a few setbacks.
I'd be glad to help text me your number 504-920-2505

Mark
GCC is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:12 PM
  #5647  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,048
Default

Originally Posted by GCC View Post
More...
Great to see your creation doing what it was built to do Mark.

After all that time, it's just awesome man!

And your First Mate, just icing on the cake! Well done Sir. Very Well Done!
GCC likes this.
Marlin009 is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM
  #5648  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nottingham, MD
Posts: 1,868
Default

GCC,

I was 34 when you started this project and have followed your progress over the years.

Congrats on an amazing accomplishment. I am in AWE. I dont think there is a boat owner out there with more sweat equity than you.

Well done sir. Well done!
bfox76 is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 02:29 PM
  #5649  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Goldsboro, NC, USA
Posts: 2,311
Default

Geez, you showed us you know how to stick with a project and bring to a beautiful creation, but now you continue to show us you are a heck of fisherman. Keep on keeping on.
silverg is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 06:04 PM
  #5650  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 25
Default

Great Job, all around
MoonMan is offline  
Old 10-13-2017, 05:41 PM
  #5651  
GCC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

Got me another 4 year old in training for the next build hopefully starting next spring
Attached Images  
aFORDable likes this.
GCC is offline  
Old 10-14-2017, 04:56 AM
  #5652  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mobile, Al.
Posts: 2,242
Default

Awesome.. Can't wait...
macabear is offline  
Old 10-20-2017, 02:45 AM
  #5653  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,198
Default

"Yea we were running 54kts through the area"

Holy moly! I must have missed the performance numbers earlier. Didn't realize this was a 60+ mph boat. Awesome. Good job getting the meat to. I'm jealous of all the yellowfin you've been getting to eat.

Can't wait for the next build. Gamefisherman hull is a thing of beauty.
bluejack is offline  
Old 10-28-2017, 04:58 PM
  #5654  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
TheBigWhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southport Raw Bar
Posts: 4,102
Default

This has been one of the best threads on THT. Thanks for taking the time and energy to share your joy and wonderful talent of building a beautiful boat! Well done, sir. She's a 10! And thank you for your service...
TheBigWhit is offline  
Old 04-26-2018, 11:19 PM
  #5655  
GCC
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 5,665
Default

Hopefully before too long you guys will get another build thread to follow. I have spoken with Adam at Salt Boatworks about designing me a 40ish hull. Stay tuned...
GCC is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 03:29 AM
  #5656  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Brielle, NJ
Posts: 1,692
Default

Originally Posted by GCC View Post
Hopefully before too long you guys will get another build thread to follow. I have spoken with Adam at Salt Boatworks about designing me a 40ish hull. Stay tuned...
Good to hear from you GCC.
Can't wait to see what's next.
Regards,
JollyMonNJ
GCC likes this.
JollyMonNJ is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 AM
  #5657  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mobile, Al.
Posts: 2,242
Default

Awesome..
macabear is offline  
Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 AM
  #5658  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,196
Default

Looking forward to it.
smccormick is offline  
Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 AM
  #5659  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Top of the Bay, MD
Posts: 1,008
Default

Originally Posted by GCC View Post
Hopefully before too long you guys will get another build thread to follow. I have spoken with Adam at Salt Boatworks about designing me a 40ish hull. Stay tuned...
Awesome thread, and an even better finished product! Can't imagine how gratifying it is to run and fish something you built yourself.

Looking forward to the next chapter. Are you thinking OBs or IBs for the next one?

Tight lines!
walleyeguy6 is offline  
Old 04-28-2018, 01:24 PM
  #5660  
Senior Member
 
Barnacled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lower, AL
Posts: 5,186
Default

You actually built TWO boats in this thread. Looking forward to the next one (2?).
GCC likes this.
Barnacled is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread