Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Boating and Boat Show Photos
Reload this Page >

How about up some picts of unusual crafts you've seen

Notices

How about up some picts of unusual crafts you've seen

Old 02-28-2010, 05:41 PM
  #141  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Posts: 2,200
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Doug in Bermuda View Post
Got digging arond in oldish pics & found this.



A fantastic cocktail cruiser. It has a built in wine cooler, a head (in the bow), complete bimini cover if needed & powered by a well sound shielded Volvo 35HP & has a bow thruster.

Dutch built.
Here is one of our babies:


5,000 pounds of solid teak sold to the Netherlands, retailed around 100,000USD.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
  #142  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,846
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default




Old 02-28-2010, 06:35 PM
  #143  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 5,411
Likes: 0
Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rat_catcher View Post
That boat is a beauty! What is it I can see just under the water right near the stern? Is that the rudder sticking out that far?

Looks like an Admiral's Launch.
Nope, nothing to do with steering. They have everything to do with the running attitude of the boat.

What you see is like a large doel fin that some use on small skiffs to help them get on the plane.

These act as anti-cavitation plates & also as wings providing lift to prevent stern sinking at speed since it is a full displacement hull.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 AM
  #144  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Here's an interesting image I recently ran across. It has been on multiple vintage enthusiast's boards in an attempt to identify the builder without success. From what I understand the boat is about 30 ft and is in the Sacramento area. Speculation is that it is one of a kind and probably built after the art deco era.



Last edited by Reata; 10-11-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:57 AM
  #145  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peoples Republic of New Jersey
Posts: 6,782
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

The barge itsself is not all that interesting but the drive system is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhtB5...eature=related
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 AM
  #146  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peoples Republic of New Jersey
Posts: 6,782
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

now this is cool too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML7kowmfX68&NR=1
Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
  #147  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacto, CA
Posts: 748
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Reata View Post
Here's an interesting image I recently ran across. It has been on multiple vintage enthusiast's boards in an attempt to identify the builder without success. From what I understand the boat is about 30 ft and is in the Sacramento area. Speculation is that it is one of a kind and probably built after the art deco era.


Do you know where in Sac?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
  #148  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by grgrmouse View Post
Do you know where in Sac?
No, after I posted this picture in a couple of vintage boat sites the original finder posted. He stated that he ran across it in the Sacramento area and looked it over. The owner of the property wasn't home, but he apparently left a note and the owner called him back. The owner stated that he did not know the builder and apparently didn't elaborate as to how he came in possession of the beast. He refered to it as an old harbor boat. The original finder is not disclosing the location and stated that he would like to own and restore the hull, but feels that it may be more of a job than he is willing to tackle.

In my opinion, It's ultimate in marine art deco. It should restored and preserved.


Pictures
.
.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
  #149  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 1,031
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Reata,

Damn, I LOVE that boat! That will be an absolute show stopper once restored.

Tom
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
  #150  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGER
 
Bruce W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 15,059
Received 696 Likes on 412 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Reata View Post
No, after I posted this picture in a couple of vintage boat sites the original finder posted. He stated that he ran across it in the Sacramento area and looked it over. The owner of the property wasn't home, but he apparently left a note and the owner called him back. The owner stated that he did not know the builder and apparently didn't elaborate as to how he came in possession of the beast. He refered to it as an old harbor boat. The original finder is not disclosing the location and stated that he would like to own and restore the hull, but feels that it may be more of a job than he is willing to tackle.

In my opinion, It's ultimate in marine art deco. It should restored and preserved.


Pictures
.
.
That thing is LOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;?

Regards,
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
  #151  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bruce W View Post
That thing is LOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;?

Regards,
It'd really be a shame if nobody takes that one on ...

@XV2PS:

I hope you have a patent on your finish technique and make private-island money off it. Your project pics literally drop my jaw.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 AM
  #152  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saigon, Vietnam
Posts: 2,200
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Your project pics literally drop my jaw.
Yeah we also fix jaws (thanks)
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 AM
  #153  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Camden Maine
Posts: 796
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

heres one for you guys- "Raw Faith" -- basically a big blow boat made out of old pallets and random pieces of wood. The guy built some place way down east in Maine- ...his mission was a good one- take kids in wheelchairs out sailing...but he built the boat so poorly every time he's left port for southern climates (twice now) he's been towed back by the coasties, once after a few masts fell down and once after major rudder issues I believe-the boat was put under Port Arrest and has been in Rockland harbor for a few years now- This photo was this past summer after he renewed all the rigging and went on a test sail to prove the boat is sea worthy....
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 AM
  #154  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 4,981
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bencashen View Post
heres one for you guys- "Raw Faith" -- basically a big blow boat made out of old pallets and random pieces of wood. The guy built some place way down east in Maine- ...his mission was a good one- take kids in wheelchairs out sailing...but he built the boat so poorly every time he's left port for southern climates (twice now) he's been towed back by the coasties, once after a few masts fell down and once after major rudder issues I believe-the boat was put under Port Arrest and has been in Rockland harbor for a few years now- This photo was this past summer after he renewed all the rigging and went on a test sail to prove the boat is sea worthy....
While they sound like good intentions I am not sure how smart it is to put paralyzed / special needs kids on a boat made of pallets
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 AM
  #155  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: (snowbird in training) Lake Erie Un-salted water and shark free!
Posts: 7,822
Received 839 Likes on 466 Posts
Default

Saw this last summer on Lake Erie. We were set up trolling for walleye and saw it off in the distance. I took up a heading that thought would intercept it, but it was moving way faster than I expected.



;?;? 6500 block of Collins... miami beach....

Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 AM
  #156  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 4 Seasons
Posts: 3,620
Received 680 Likes on 382 Posts
Default

Largest solar powered boat, I think the smaller one is methane powered
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
  #157  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacto, CA
Posts: 748
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Reata View Post
No, after I posted this picture in a couple of vintage boat sites the original finder posted. He stated that he ran across it in the Sacramento area and looked it over. The owner of the property wasn't home, but he apparently left a note and the owner called him back. The owner stated that he did not know the builder and apparently didn't elaborate as to how he came in possession of the beast. He refered to it as an old harbor boat. The original finder is not disclosing the location and stated that he would like to own and restore the hull, but feels that it may be more of a job than he is willing to tackle.

In my opinion, It's ultimate in marine art deco. It should restored and preserved.


Pictures
.
.
Well pass along my info if you are so inclined. I could help.
Greg

grgrmouse at hotmail dot com
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
  #158  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Camden Maine
Posts: 796
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by demjjm View Post
While they sound like good intentions I am not sure how smart it is to put paralyzed / special needs kids on a boat made of pallets


thats basically the thoughts of everyone who has seen the boat...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 AM
  #159  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Saint Thomas, USVI
Posts: 982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How about this one. These pictures are off of Sandy Spit in The BVI's, taken about two weeks ago.






Jay
Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 AM
  #160  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pt. Judith, RI
Posts: 3,805
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

^^ Isn't that the boat owned by that crazy Russian Melnichenco?? Here is a link to it...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121624751935359933.html

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.