The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Lowrance hook 7 info
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Egret&Lab

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsd63 View Post
I emailed the guys at the gps store and their recommendation for my price range was the Garmin 74sv, hook 7 and raymarine dragonfly 7. What's the difference between the 74 and 73 sv? It appears that it just the loaded maps. Couldn't I buy the 73 on clearance from cabela's and add a chip for the coastal maps? The 2 garmins are non chirp. Is the chirp option a lot better?
Don't make the same mistake as so many others. What you see every day on the screen is far more important than the small differences in the capabilities of unit A vs. unit B. Go look at maps first and study the details of the areas you will be running closely. Once you find the map you can live with, then choose a unit. If you will be running proximate to land masses, the garmin options (chip or no chip) will provide your worst viewing and least accurate experience. The unit is only as useful to you as the chart it can run. If you still can't get by the marketing and insist on a Garmin, there are plenty for sale that are very new on line by others who were in your shoes not too long ago and realized afterward their assumption about the maps not really likely being much different from others was wrong. No reason to pay a premium to buy a brand new Garmin with so many others that are nearly new for sale. You could probably pick on up for less than 50% of new. With respect to Chirp, there is is very little to no difference in my experience, and particularly in shallower areas.