View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 12:57 PM
happyjack92
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
Holy cow! That looks great!

I know very little about bourbon,so forgive me if I misspeak and feel free to tell me when I make a mistake.

I like Ketel One vodka, and I like Tito's, but if I take a sip of Ketel One, and follow it up with a sip of Tito's, the Tito's feels a little harsher/ rough around the edges. Not sure how to describe it accurately.

When drinking wines, a merlot has a certain taste, but then over the next 20 seconds or so, the lingering taste start to change - a much longer "finish" than some other wines have.

Translating this to bourbon, I like it when the starting and finishing flavors are different. I like it when it's a slightly higher alcohol content but it doesn't have a very strong burn that made it taste like it was 95 proof.

Woodford Reserve bourbon, while tasty, is a little rough for me. I tried Elijah Craig 12 (can't find it in a store anymore) and liked that much better.

So since you know a thing or two about bourbon and you most likely know the difference between those two bourbons, how would you characterize it?
if you want a "smoother" bourbon then you should try some of the "wheated" bourbons out there: w.l. weller, larceny, old fitzgerald, bernheim,and makers mark / makers 46 are all "wheated"...that means the distillers use some percentage of wheat, in addition to at least 51% corn, in their mash bill.

conversely, you may not like a bourbon like woodford which uses both rye and barley (in addition to mostly corn) in it's mashbill

bourbonr blog ( http://bourbonr.com/blog/ ) has done some of the most extensive mapping of mashbills that i've found. knowing the mashbill can help you determine the types of bourbons that you like most...high-rye vs. wheated, for example. the mash bill is an important part of a whiskey's flavor profile (although it's not the only factor)...and it's a good place to begin research when you're just starting on your journey to a whiskey obsession.