View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Otseg
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor

Originally Posted by Wishniwasfishn View Post
We are switching to them for next season, they are lighter and put out more power. It's how we are able to run chiller plates and a/c without a genset.
My nickname when I left Miami was "Sparky" because the last thing I did was to catch the ground at my boat yard on fire with 30,000 volts. Less risky dealing with 12 and 24 V DC but when it comes to the electrical we have it engineered and the connections made by the best.

No doubt we will be looking to Lithium Ion in the future. especially after reading the book "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future ". It made me feel a little small. What a Guy. The battery technology will be incredible. On one side my Father in law tells me "if you are not on the cutting edge, you are taking up too much room." Of course the other side is "It's the Pioneers that get killed by the Indians"

With Ray's boat I collected most-all of the equipment and bits and pieces for an APU unit that made saltwater slush ice in the fish box's and battery charged too. Saving the big iron's wear and tear for propulsion. Ray has an ice maker on the dock and I don't think makes regular overnight trips so we just went "KISS" with the super insulated boxes.

We allowed for the batteries in the initial weight study, so I was ok with it either way.