View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 AM
jhebert

Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
Looking for some input on the Lowrance Link-8 VHF.
I tested a Lowrance LINK-8 radio. See my findings at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...rtPlotter.html

The article is really more about the general interconnection of DSC radios and chart plotters, but you may find the information it contains about the Lowrance LINK-8 VHF Marine Band DSC radio to be useful.

The principal attraction of the Lowrance LINK-8 radio is the provision of a NMEA-2000 network interface. This greatly simplifies the integration of the radio with a chart plotter and GNSS receiver.

The LINK-8 radio was introduced about a year ago. There were some initial problems, but they seemed to have been resolved by evolution of the radio firmware. At the price-point of the LINK-8 there is presently no competition. Lowrance has experience with NMEA-2000 devices. They seem to have implemented the NMEA-2000 network interface in the radio without any problems. I would not normally look to Lowrance to be a supplier of VHF Marine Band radios, as I don't think that is their strong suit, but given the lack of other manufacturers with a NMEA-2000 VHF Marine Band DSC radio, and the aggressive price of the LINK-8, it is becoming a popular choice.