Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Pez Vela

Maybe I'm just an old dog.

I've grown up with Apple computer hardware, iPhones, iPads, and all the software and apps that go with them. Over time, I've become fairly proficient using their products. I would never think of switching to a regular PC or anything with an Android system, even if they were considered marginally better machines. The learning curve just isn't worth it for me.

I've also grown up with Raymarine hardware, beginning with its long since abandoned little brother, Apelco. Over time, I've become fairly proficient using their products. I would never think of switching to another platform, even if it were considered to be marginally better. The learning curve just isn't worth it to me.

In anticipation of my last major upgrade, I took a hard look at Furuno. This was well before the FLIR days, when Raymarine was having some annoying hardware problems. I downloaded the Furuno user manual for the machine I was considering and took a look see. It didn't take long for me to realize that my initial hesitancy to switch platforms was well founded.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Besides, I'm too old to be taught any new tricks. How about you?