View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 02:11 PM
davedowneast
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

I took care of my mother 24/7 for about 5 yrs with the help of nursing and volunteer organizations. I even built an addition to my home so she'd have her own kitchen, bath, bed rooms and really nice living room. As it turn out, she never was able to cook for herself or get in and out of her bed by herself. She ended up spending most of her time in a recliner in the living room and could get to the bath room with a walker.

Near the end, she was in and out of the hospital and nursing home. One morning at about 5am, I got a call from her primary doctor (he was also my doctor). He was at the hospital holding my mom and said, "Dave, I can keep her alive with machines or let her go, it's your decision". I made the most difficult decision of my life and said "it's time, let her go to the Lord". That was almost 15 years ago and it's very hard for me to write this, it's still very emotional.

Prayers sent. I hope the Lord gives you and your family the strength and wisdom to do whats right for all concerned.