View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 12:26 PM
DarthBaiter
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default RE: Failed emissions test in NJ

rparkssos - 2/5/2005 8:00 AMThe reason they are testing the cap is to try to check the integrity of the Evaporative Emmissions System. The Evap System is basically an activated charcoal canister that traps fuel vapors and then routes these vapors into the intake manifold where they are burned as you drive. If the cap is leaking, vapors that should be contained by the system would be venting to atmosphere. In most 1996 or newer vehicles, or what are called OBDII for On Board Diagnostics II, the cars computer checks the system by routinely applying a small pressure or vacuum to the system and then checking to see if the vacuum or pressure hold. If not, the "Check Engine" light or equivalent will eventually be lit. That's why if you leave your gas cap loose after filling, or having it filled in Jersey , the light will come on after a couple of what are called drive cycles. The whole idea is to prevent vapors from leaking which are a huge source of pollution.
LOL Jersey boys know how to fill a tank contrary to what the state believs.

Here is the whole story.
I go to get an ispection and the guy gets on my case about my Ins card cuz it's ratty. I had it in my pocket when I was cleaning some snow and it got wet. I say "sorry, but all the info is legiable, can you please use the info?" He frowns(why I don't know) and truns away. Tells me to step out and go wait in the waiting area. He goes off makes a cup of coffe and comes back. He motions for me to come to he car. I go and he points to an empty propane tank I have in my back seat. I tell em it's empty and he says it has to be removed from the facility. I tell em I didn't know that and I would put it outside till the inspection is over. I remove the tank as I walk out he say to himself in a whisper, "I guess you aint passing today." . I turn around and ask "what?" and he walks off with out saying anything. And lo and behold I fail the test for agascap. And all I can say to myself is, "it;s a good thing he ain't a cop." Talk about power corrupting...

I havn't gone to my dealer yet. Maybe monday.