Old 02-02-2012, 05:47 AM
LI32
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Received 806 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Buoy Scout View Post
OK, so I can wire all the devices to one chartplotter, as well as the intelliducer. That makes 6 devices:

1. DSC (plotter transmit and receive),
2. AIS (plotter receive only--(it's a receive only AIS))
3. Intelliducer (plotter receive only)
4. KVH compass/heading sensor (plotter receive only)
5. Autopilot (older Robertson unit--plotter transmit only)
6. GPS17 receiver, dedicated port.

Can one port listen to more than one device? For example, can 2 and 3 share the same receive port on the plotter? I understood that you can have multiple listeners to a single talker but not the other way around.

If I can't double up on the ports, then can I use the transmit only output of the second plotter to drive the autopilot?

I did not have these issues on my other boat since I did not have a heading sensor and the autopilot was not interfaced to the plotters. AIS, DSC, GPS were all run to different plotters on the network and everthing was shared.
You can use three listeners per port (which receive data transmitted out from the 4210), but only 1 talker (data it sends in to the 4210).
I know on my 4212's it shares NMEA 0183 receive data (in my case ais and dsc-vhf (inbound), but I can send NMEA 0183 data from the non-connected unit - so my Icom M504 and Simrad autopilot can only be controlled from the unit they are connected to. All of mine are on the same 4212, just because that is the unit I, 99% of the time, run as my chartplotter - the other unit is usually sonar, radar or XM weather.

From what you lay out, you have four talkers that will send data to the 4210 and two listeners that receive - one of those does both (VHF), so all four will fit on one 4210 if you chose, so long as that is the one you want to send info from your auto-pilot with and also control your DSC-VHF -just make sure the autopilot is on a normal speed 0183 output - the AIS will need a high speed port setting. So if you set the DSC radio (in & out) to port 1, autopilot (out) and KVH (in) to port 2, AIS (in) to port 3, and intelliducer (in) to port 4, you will be all set.