View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Eyeball
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The best chili recipe I have found, so far, comes off the side of a container of mixed dried beans available at Costco. It is the prefect balance of chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Except for tomato sauce, there isn't "canned" anything in it. Strangely, it dawned on me the recipe is 100% vegan and I didn't miss the meat. You can add meat or sausage to the recipe easy enough, but the balance of fresh flavors is superb.

Eta: here is the recipe, tweaked a little.

600g dried beans
60ml olive oil
250g chopped onion
350g chopped sweet red bell pepper
30g garlic, fine chopped or pressed
16g chili powder
3-1/5g ground cumin
2g crushed oregano
2g cayenne pepper
450g tomato paste (14 or 15 or16 oz can)
2 or 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or use a 14 or 15 or 16 oz can of chopped tomatoes)

Cook the beans, drain reserving 300ml of the thick dark bean cooking water.
In heavy bottom pan (or dutch oven) heat the olive oil, fry the onion red bell pepper and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper), cook and stir constantly to release the flavors, about 2 minutes.
Add the beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce, mix well.
If too thick, add some of the reserved bean cooking water until you have the consistency you like.
Bring to a boil and reduce the heat, cook for 1/2 to combine the flavors.

Note: the recipe came off a container of mixed beans. You can buy a 1-lb (454g) bag of 15 or 16 dried beans at any supermarket and use it. Or use whatever beans you prefer, e.g. into or kidney beans.

That there is the best chili have ever made ... and it is libtard vegan! It is easy to see you can add meat in there as you like.

Last edited by Eyeball; 01-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.