Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM
saltwaters
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Received 421 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Blythe1022 View Post
In the Kingdom of Mecklenburg County in one of the more desirable locaitons in the Queen City our rates suck. Worse than the rates was the new apraisal of home values for this year. The tax collecter decided my house, no changes, is now worth 71% more than it was in 2004. I know others that got it worse than that if you can believe it. If the tax collector had a check for the amount they stated everyone's home was now worth, everyone I know would have taken the check and laughed all the way to the bank. Maybe that office hasn't gotten wind of the rumors going around about the housing market. It's unbelievable to think they are trying to justiy this.
You guys need to start a Proposition 13 act like we had in California many years ago. It caps annual increases. the property does go up to the currently value rate when it is sold. Stay in your house for 20 years and you will like your property tax rate. This assumes the house appreciates in value each year like it did in Cali except the last few years.

It prevents state, county and city governments from raising property taxes at will. It takes away their ability to print money at the homeowners expense.