Old 12-24-2004, 09:15 AM
offshore3144
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Received 463 Likes on 254 Posts
Default RE: Simrad AP12 --- Anyone Have One? Opinions

Boomerang - 12/24/2004 8:38 AM

N3NFX - 12/22/2004 9:40 AM

Thom/Mark and all,

Thom beleive we have chatted here before, I too enjoy your experiences. I have been wondering which AP to get for awhile now, there has been a lot of traffic concerning the TR1 and SG1 and others, all have thier advantages/disadvantages. My main concerns is the rudder feed back, not sure if I really want to hang something else back there. I am probably making more of an issue then it needs to be but anyway...

I must say Mark, I have been following your posts on this very topic, you have been informative and assuring. I may just need to try this unit!

I have a 25' C-Hawk standard cabin with two steering stations, both have the Sea Star hydraulic units, I do most of my fishing in the Chesapeake bay region and rarely are my trips more then 30 miles out. I mainly need the AP for slow trolling (2.5 to 3 MPH), I fish by myself and set as many as a dozen lines, how does this unit work at those slow speeds? I do not need an AP with tons of bells and whistles in fact I will rarely, if ever use some of those features however, I do need one that works reliably.

I don't see why I would need a unit with a display, especially since I don't have a lot of room on the console, that would be just one more thing I would have to find room for but, the remote control would be nice.

Bottom line is all I need is a simple AP that works!
N3,I do know that a rate compass in ANY pilot gives it better steering performance (rather than just a fluxgate),especially in following seas or in your case,slow trolling. It adds to the cost of the pilot by an average of 500 bucks but they do make a difference. I have to admit that on my personal boat I opted to NOT get the rate compass (because I was cheap?) & now I pay by having to constantly adjust the gail,counter rudder ,etc to keep up with the prevailing sea conditions. Now this winter I'm going to go back & install the rate sensor upgrade. My mistake!
Boomerang,
I thought about doing the same!! Mark