View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Pro251wa
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Originally Posted by doughnut View Post
they usually break when you are fishing very high drag settings du to the side load on the traveler.
Verrry interesting. As a matter of fact my 320's and 330's are all for trolling where I tend to have a lighter drag setting than the 113's and 114's I use for bottom stuff.

Originally Posted by Tunanorth
ALL level winds from ALL brands [if sold in the US] have a PLASTIC drive gear for the mechanism [usually in the left sideplate].
It is an engineered weak point, designed to fail on purpose if you get your finger caught in it.
When fishing for moderate-size fish [such as salmon], or even large fish like sturgeon that are slow, its not a huge issue.
Also, even with mono, but especially with braid, if the line gets "off synch" with the mechanism, and a fish is running under heavy drag with the line reaching all the way across the spool, it can also lead to failure.
That's the reason "True" big-game reels never have a levelwind.
Another disadvantage is when casting either max distances, or with delicate live baits, a levelwind can be a hindrance [a little OT].
Excellent points to know.
I don't know how these reels get off-synch but I've seen it. My guess is that line is cut at one point and the reel continues for a few rotations moving the guide over. Then when the line is re-rigged it's offset from the guide. Only on used reels I've bought or another angler's reels have I seen it. I make sure my line and guides are aligned when rigging.