View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
sea_major

Originally Posted by lodel View Post
Anybody have any experience/opinion on their rider tractors ? I am looking at a 24HP 48" cut heavy duty model(YTH24V48LS). It has the fabricated deck, upgrade B&S engine, hydrostatic trans. etc. I have two acres to cut including some rough areas and have about worn out my current Craftsman. Looking for a ten plus year mower.
Most of the lawn tractors sold at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart (or the like), will give you about 10 years with good maintenance. I wouldn't expect them to be reliable much after that. for good quality, check out John Deere (not the big box version), Toro, Scag, and some others. More money, but better quality parts.

BTW, I have an 11 year old Yard Machines 42" and have had to replace wheels, drive belts, deck belts, batteries way too often than I'd like. The engine is decent, though I think it's beginning to get tired, too.

My father-in-law was a full-time farmer and farm mechanic. He still uses is 42" Allis-Chalmers riding mower and it was built in the 60's. I don't think my Yard Machines will make it to 50 years.