Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Flot
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default Re: Has anyone installed an ice maker in a freezer that wasn't equipped for one?

RussH - 12/21/2008 9:46 AM
Flot- If you check the Internet you can find "ice maker kits" for like $100 or less. If you can buy a kit I don't know why you couldn't find a way to make it work. Kind of the same thing I'm trying to figure out except I already have the ice maker.
Most of those kits are for freezer-on-top units made 5-30 years ago when icemakers WERE an optional component so everything was modular. I think the big thing you'll be missing is the wiring to the valve assembly and the valve itself. If you're going to rip it out anyway, what will be interesting is to see what the wiring harness looks like, and if you can figure out what is what. I don't think it's impossible, just difficult. If you look on ebay you can see some of the generic "ice makers" for $35ish and then a couple complete retrofit kits for $100ish that include the wiring connectors, valves, etc.

debugger - 12/21/2008 10:03 AM
I have a brand new "spare" ice maker for my main fridge that I was thinking of installing in my garage freezer.. but those units only make about a small bag of ice per day. It would take all week to make enough ice for one boat ride.
That would fit my boating schedule quite nicely.

Actually I was thinking that if you could find a chest freezer just big enough to hold a decent sized cooler, you could rig an old ice maker or two on the lid, put the cooler in, and come back a week later to a pre-chilled cooler full of ice...