View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
JoeCantFish

Default RE: Sound system upgrade

Sorry Im late to reply to this post, but here is my take on the 'Infinite Baffle' JL subs...and all Infinite Baffle subs....They all sound -sub par-...hhahah, sorry for the pun

Ive been in mobile electronics for many moons (15 years) and Ive never ever heard an enclosureless sub sound good. Even if it had the JL symbol mounted on the cone. Ive worked on many boats and every sub that didnt have an enclosure was better at vibrating the hull than producing any sound. Keep in mind, a subwoofer is really only designed to produce freq below 90 hz (most house subs are designed for 60)...You will never hear this sucker while underway and you'll get to brag about it while anchored only to realize that you are talkin out your butt.

Subs need an air cushion to assist the amp in pulling the sub back in after a strong note. Otherwise, it will just keep bouncing around until the next big note. The result is a very muddy sound and an uspet owner for cutting a rather large hole in your hull.

check out the XMax of a sub....its the maximum amount of linear movement of a cone. I cannot remember the measurement, but an amplifier must have the capability to pull out the voltage as fast as it send it to the sub. If not, guess what....the sub bounces around like crazy which aids to the muddiness. Especially if it has a high xmax

I have the same JL amp (6450) installed in our boat, a pioneer head unit, and 6 pioneer 8" 2 way speakers. These things sound awesome. (8" 2 way !!! I was like, WHUUUT!!) I hear all the bass I need (I used to be that idiot butthead at stop lights banging away) and the clarity and midrange is perfect. Unless you have room for an enclosure (or bass tube) I wouldn't recommend an IB sub...

Now Im sure that someone will disagree with me, but before cutting a HUGE hole in your boat, Please Please goto a dealer that has one installed. I feel that JL audio (I managed a shop and we were a JL dealer) included this in their lineup just to sell more subs to a niche (which is what JL audio does)...Just my opinion

Oh and BTW, I have 2 10" JL subs and a 250/1 monoblock installed in my truck...I love JL audio....